Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Jul 18, 5:15 AM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 18,453Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Sunday 8th July 2018
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:15 AM
    Old Style Daily Sunday 8th July 2018 8th Jul 18 at 5:15 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Jul 18, 5:29 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 18,453 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:29 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:29 AM
    Morning everyone

I have decided today I am going to take a book and go and sit in the little park down the road in the shade of a large tree. Iím going to take a picnic lunch and treat myself to a pack of two Waitrose muffins even though they are expensive (Waitrose is the nearest supermarket to the little park so I will pay their prices to get something I fancy. I have run out of cake in the freezer and it is far too hot to have the oven on at the moment.

Iím trying to eat things with salad like quiche or pork pies and cheese and having this with new potatoes. I certainly donít fancy anything too heavy at the moment, and food at home has to be quick and easy in this weather.

I did manage a quick vacuum through yesterday, and gave the bathroom a quick clean in the evening but it was far too warm to do much else.

Gers I do hope that your mum had a better day yesterday.

Silver-oldie we are here and will support you.

Judi Iím not surprised that you are hurt and upset, you do so much for them, and for them to treat you this way is so unfair.

Nanny I do hope that the DIY is going ok, and that Mr Fixit gives you a rest day.

TA hopefully this week is a more peaceful week for you and Mr TA (hugs).

Tru I called into Aldi yesterday and got some cream for cracked feet because like you that is a problem for me. I am using a Vaseline intensive moisturiser at the moment and while it isnít solving the problem it is helping more than a lot of them have.

Hope youíre having fun Nelski.

LameWolf I do hope that Mr LWís appointment with the neurologist went well.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 8th Jul 18, 6:17 AM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 30,540 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:17 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:17 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY for the new thread. I had the most rubbish night thanks to the heat and my painful right arm which seems to have resurrected itself again from nowhere. Agony every time I tried to turn over. This morning it feels slightly easier thank goodness.

Talking of cracked and dry feet. I am another sufferer and have tried all sorts of creams. When I was in the surgery pharmacy last week the assistant was putting new stock on one of the shelves and I spotted a remedy which sounded a bit different. Some "boots" like plastic bags, containing, if I remember rightly, something to do with coconut. I was in a bit of a rush and forgot about them. Anybody tried them and do they improve dry feet!?

I really must attack the weeds this morning. The actual plants are in a sorry state through lack of rain and too much sun but, sadly, the weeds are thriving. My hips don't like bending though and I have soon had enough!

Not a lot else planned. I have a basket of ironing but too warm for that job I'm afraid.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them. Thinking of all with troubles. LAMEWOLF, SILVER-OLDIE, GERS with her DM and anyone else who needs them. I hope NELSKI is living it up in Blackpool. I have just worked back and it's almost 8 years since I was last there. How time flies. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 8th Jul 18, 6:24 AM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 23,452 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:24 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:24 AM
    Morning everyone, thank you for starting the thread Hollyharvey.

Today I will be heading off to a work event. The service I worked for has an annual event for our families and we've done this for about 17 years. I have only ever missed one and said that I'd attend this year as a volunteer and I'll be in tge craft area, I almost always am. The children make things that they can take home and it is great fun. We usually offer a range of little quick projects so even tiny ones can do something with help.

Then I'm coming home and making an easy dinner. Spare ribs, some chicken and salad, not too time consuming as I'll be hot and tired.

I slept better last night and feel a bit more refreshed.

Hope everyone has a good day and as ever, am thinking about those who may be unwell, worried or sad.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Jul 18, 6:58 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 18,453 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:58 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:58 AM

Talking of cracked and dry feet. I am another sufferer and have tried all sorts of creams. When I was in the surgery pharmacy last week the assistant was putting new stock on one of the shelves and I spotted a remedy which sounded a bit different. Some "boots" like plastic bags, containing, if I remember rightly, something to do with coconut. I was in a bit of a rush and forgot about them. Anybody tried them and do they improve dry feet!?
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    I use them when I remember to. You can get them in most places now, I have bought them in Boots, Superdrug, Savers, Poundland and most supermarkets. They are moisturising boots and I find they do leave my feet feeling really soft and nice, but for me, they don't deal with the thicker cracked skin. x
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 8th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 30,540 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    I use them when I remember to. You can get them in most places now, I have bought them in Boots, Superdrug, Savers, Poundland and most supermarkets. They are moisturising boots and I find they do leave my feet feeling really soft and nice, but for me, they don't deal with the thicker cracked skin. x
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    I obviously don't get out enough or I am just not very observant! I will look out for them. Thanks. Many moons ago I was given a free sample of some Aussie cream for dry and cracked feet and that was really good. I think it was quite expensive but I can't remember the name of it. x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Jul 18, 7:21 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 31,285 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:21 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:21 AM
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly, I use one of those big files things on my feet. Nothing fancy, just one of the handheld ones and use it on dry feet just before my morning shower, itís shifted the hard skin like nothing else, that ans creaming the heels every night when I use hand cream.

Had a slightly better nightís sleep with the fan going all night, itís an old one that I picked up when a workplace had a clear out but itís really quiet so not too intrusive. I have left DOH having a lie-in, made myself a cuppa and let little dog have a wander around the garden whilst I filled up the bird feeders.
    Thankfully nothing planned for today after a busy old week, I went to the farm shop yesterday to visit their butchers counter and picked up peppered steaks so that will be lunch with new pots and salad, nice and easy.
    SilverOldie please please keep posting, I think of all on this thread as my friends and everyone offers tremendous support to each other.
    Hugs to all that need one, especially Judi, the TAís and Gers.
    Sending positive thoughts across the ether to the LWís

Have a good day folks x
  • archived user
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:30 AM
    Morning all,

Blind panic has set in. There's Grumps stuff everywhere. The garden is full. Barbies jeep is half unloaded, Dandy (folding camper) is up and taken over the left side of the garden. Kitchen is rammed full of work clothes and Dandys soft furnishings, most, waiting to be washed. Living room is relatively stuff free but there's dried grass trodden in. I've tried to vacuum twice but just as I reach for the vacuum more stuff comes in and is dumped.

I hate the period of adjustment from 2 in the house to 3. By the time I get used to having him around he goes off again. Wouldn't wish this life on any married couple. Of course he's dragged back a pile of stuff (electrical wires and stuff) to do to the house which will never get done and he's angry that I've moved 2 bricks.

So deep breath....need to get the Grandkids' birthday cards. It's Divas birthday on Tuesday and I won't be able to get them tomorrow so it will have to be today.

Didn't our chaps in Russia do well? They made the game look so easy. Well done lads!

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    Last edited by Judi; 11-07-2018 at 7:20 PM.
    • tru
    • By tru 8th Jul 18, 7:30 AM
    • 8,720 Posts
    • 45,920 Thanks
    tru
    Morning

LameWolf I hope the appointment went well xx

TravellingAbuela I haven't tried it but coconut oil is supposed to be good for your feet, you apply a decent layer then wear cotton socks when you go to bed, but it's far too hot to wear socks in bed at the moment. I haven't seen the remedy you mentioned, I'll be googling in a mo

HollyHarvey You posted while I was typing - thanks for the info. I might try the moisturising boots occasionally.

Lainey I used to do that but it doesn't do the job anymore. I think I might be pre-menopausal - or is it peri-menopausal? - so I wonder if hormones are making a difference?

I take it all back - the party was lovely! And the extension is fabulous There was one woman who didn't seem impressed with me, she was sipping posh wine from a nice glass while I was drinking Becks from a bottle There were quite a few people so I escaped into the garden, there were more people out there so I perched on a bench in a quiet spot. A woman came out and sat nearby with her food. Introduced herself then ate in silence, her husband came out a few minutes later and they started chatting about their kids and how they help with chickens. Turns out they're new chicken owners so we spent the rest of the time telling funny (and sometimes yukky) chicken stories

I have most of the day to myself. While this happens a couple of times during the week, it's different on a weekend. I like to keep busy during the week so I hardly ever have a whole day of nothing, but it's sunday so it's allowed The foot cream has healed the painful cracks so today I'm going to use my electric foot file thing. I tried to use it before the cream (that makes more sense, doesn't it?) but it was too painful. Not sure what else I'm doing today, but I will make sure it's selfish

Last edited by tru; 08-07-2018 at 7:33 AM.
    Bulletproof
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 8th Jul 18, 7:38 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 8,525 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning friends

Thank you for stating us off Holly, enjoy your those muffins yum.

Gers hope your Mum is feeling better

Judi I'm so sorry your family can't see how lucky they are to have you

Lame Wolf, hope all went well for Mr LW

TA Hugs

Watched the F1 yesterday and went shopping to M&S, thanks to Holly's suggestion and got some good bargains. A whole chicken and some plaice fillets for £1 each, and tarte aux citron reduced from £3.50 to 35p. Seem to taste even better for that price. Plaice for lunch today and the chicken is in the SC. Tarte has already been eaten.
    Going to visit mother this morning.

Hope you all have a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Jul 18, 7:40 AM
    • 3,918 Posts
    • 50,001 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to all those in need, especially Judi, Silver oldie, Gers, the TAs and the LWs.

We're on a peaceful mooring now, just us and the cows!
    I was pleased to hear the football result though as I'm not a fan I went to the supermarket at kickoff time, the roads and the shop were deserted, even the M4 was empty as I drove over it.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 8th Jul 18, 8:20 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 22,840 Thanks
    snoozer
    Hi everyone,

LW, I hope things were ok yesterday.

Silver-oldie, I second the idea of a meet-up. I went to one in London when Aussielass (if anyone remembers her) came over. Squeaky (rip) was there and so was purpleivy. I can't remember who else.

Not a lot to report here, it's too hot to do much of anything. DD let me know that her grandmother-in-law's funeral is likely to be the Monday after they get back from the Seychelles. They were to be in Glasgow anyway that weekend for a wedding on the Saturday and a christening on the Sunday. Now with a funeral on the Monday it's a bit like that old rhyme about Solomon Grundy.

I need to get ready then we can walk the hound while it's still cool.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    • 16,410 Posts
    • 140,299 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi everyone,

LW, I hope things were ok yesterday.

Silver-oldie, I second the idea of a meet-up. I went to one in London when Aussielass (if anyone remembers her) came over. Squeaky (rip) was there and so was purpleivy. I can't remember who else.
    Originally posted by snoozer
    Hi Snoozer was it the one where we all met up in the pub in Whitehall just off Trafalgar Square ?? If so I was there as well

Boiling hot already in Kent ,think its a morning for doing things slowly First will be my menu plan for the week then breakfast and possibly feet up for an hour while I listen to The Archers ,Then I'm not too sure .I have been productive already this morning though and have decluttered four drawers of paperwork in my filing cabinet Old bills mostly dating back to 2004 ??? all been shredded and into the recycling bag, makes you feel quite cathartic and FREE getting rid of unnecessary clutter I may crack on with some more later before I drown in old paperwork.
    Hope everyone has a good day and can keep their cool

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan £307.43 15th November £19.80 first shop of the month
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Jul 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,946 Posts
    • 31,966 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

A quiet day for us here. The HT slept a little longer this morning for a change - it must have been all the sea air yesterday. All his uniform has been washed and line dried so just ironing to do this afternoon. I washed the sheet off his bed yesterday so I'm going to steal his duvet cover and pillowcases in a minute and wash them so that they can line dry too. They need washing a little more often than usual just now as despite the weather he wraps himself in the duvet to sleep. I don't know how he does it either. I am still sleeping with bits of me under the duvet and I woke up with cold feet in the night but I couldn't sausage roll myself like he does. My 94 year old next door neighbour was scrubbing her patio yesterday afternoon. She's made of stronger stuff than me for sure.

I'd love a meet up if it's one that I can get to. I have several very good friends that started off as online friends but who have become a large part of my real life. We don't see some of them as often as we used to when the HT was small but they are still friends.

The HT has new headphones which he couldn't live without apparently. The fish obsession that started when he was two is still running strong. He now listens to music with a sharks head looking out of one ear and it's tail sticking out of the other, sigh. At least nobody could accuse him of following the herd.

I hope Mum of Gers is feeling better today.

Hugs Judi I know the feeling. The late MrC worked away at sea for 4 months at a time. I used to want him to move out for the first week he was home when he was unpacking and the last week at home when he was packing to leave. The chaos that both cause in my routine was unbelievable. I miss him but I don't miss the chaos.

Take care all of you
    Weight loss 2018 17 lbs

October Grocery Challenge £138.20/£150
    November GC £97.74/£200
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 8th Jul 18, 8:52 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning Everyone,

Lovely Sunny day. The wm has just finished its second load, so I will hang that out.
    I need to pop to shops fro some salad bits. The rest of the day I will entertain myself with paperwork to do with mom .

Will also sit in the garden for an hour.

Enjoy your day x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 8th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 4,083 Posts
    • 50,071 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

It's a bit cooler here today which is quite nice but we could do with a bit more of a breeze to move some air about.

Went to the engagement party last night which I thoroughly enjoyed, lots of dancing and laughter although it was rather hot.

I think DS1 is coming over with the DGC today, we may go for a trundle around the country park before lunch.

I gave my feet a treat with Burts Bees foot cream, lovely.

Hope the appt went OK LW.
    Here's hoping your DM is feeling better this morning Gers.

Have a happy Sunday, take care. XX
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jul 18, 9:40 AM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 44,640 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning everyone.

My DM is still in hospital - the one were NONE of the windows can be opened and there's no air conditioning or ventilation! It's brand new and huge, all sparkling and modern, apart from any way of getting fresh air into it.

Seems tha DM's worst day is behind her and all due to a brewing UTI on top of the tachycardia and heart failure. I'm hoping she's better today after having had antibiotics. Yesterday she couldn't eat.

As for dry skin cream - I recently got CCS foot care cream. It's Swedish and costs about £7.00 a tube, but it's very effective and is absorbed easily.

Groundhog Day - up, shower, eat, visit DM, back, eat, sleep.

Hugs to all the poorly or upset or sad folk- and to the rest too!

Happy Sunday.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 8th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 23,452 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    My chiropodist recommends that CCS foot cream too, it is ok but more for normal feet, mine need almost daily hard skin removal and I do best when it is scraped off at chiropody and then I try to keep it off using an electric scholl thinger. It never stays off though. I have not got pretty feet.

I shall go and get ready quite soon. I want to wear flip flops, at least my trousers are a bit long so nobody will see my feet.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 8th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 23,934 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Sorry to hear your Mum is still in hospital Gers I hope she recovers and is allowed home soon.

Its 30c here already, I am tired of the heat, its making me feel ill now. I keep out of it as much as possible. We have the back door open the sitting room curtains drawn and the fan on, not that its really doing much good.

The bowls yesterday was ok, but now OH knows how I felt when I had to go to presidents day and people just ignored me..... we ended up sitting in the club house out of the sun, it was way too hot, was glad to get home even though the air in the house was muggy.

Terrible nights sleep, I have been coerced by OH to go to chapel this morning, I really feel quite ambivalent about going, just hope its cool otherwise I am coming home.

No cooking today, I have a quiche which we will have with salad tonight, its a day for cold drinks and not much else. Personally I have had enough of the hot weather now, it can go away.

Judi.....you have my sympathy regarding your grand childrens party. You do enough for them. I am afraid I would be refusing to have either of the children. When my children were small I had no option to stay at home regardless, my mother would not even baby sit. When I did go back to work, I had no option but to work as a temp so I could take school holidays off. Our grandchildren are all grown up, we see very little of them, they all have their own lives to lead and we let them get on with it. cynical I may be but thats life I am afraid.

Better pull myself together and get ready to go to chapel.........
    Last edited by csarina2; 08-07-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,646 Thanks
    Floss
    I was "up" (more like just about out of bed!) at 2.30am to see DH off the premises & into a taxi to the airport as he's off to work in forrun lands until Friday.

Now the cat is fed, I'm showered & packed and off on a spa break in Manchester with my BF. We haven't seen each other for a while so lots of catching up, cocktails & wine are expected
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

6,646Users online

Martin's Twitter