Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • honkifyou
    • By honkifyou 8th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    honkifyou
    Speeding Ticket
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    Speeding Ticket 8th Jul 18 at 12:42 AM
    Hi all,

Today I received 2 speeding tickets from 2 seperate dates.

Offence 1 - 48mph in a 30mph zone
    Offence 2 - 43mph in a 30mph zone

Iím not contesting it at all and fully admit both offences. Thatís what I get for rushing to work and I fully understand itís my own fault.

Iím just looking for information/advise on the next steps and what punishment I am likely to receive? Having never received a speeding ticket before the process is totally alien to me and to say Iím extremely worried is a massive understatement.

Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • macman
    • By macman 10th Jul 18, 9:46 AM
    • 42,686 Posts
    • 17,957 Thanks
    macman
    OP, to state the obvious, the greatest 'punishment' you will receive is the impact upon your motor insurance premium. That will be a lot more than the fine.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 10th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    Uxb
    Remind me again why compulsory periodic retests for all would be a bad thing?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Unless the pass criterion was set quite low it would result in a large number of motorists off the road.
    This could have a considerable detrimental effect on the UK economy if people were no longer able to do their job, go out for their leisure (ie spend money) go to look after relatives etc and the rest.

Seen these effect to an extent in amateur flying clubs where there IS an annual check flight as part of the licence requirements - the very last thing you want is people to fail the check ride with an instructor and then run the risk they will up-sticks and leave taking their money with them.
    So the test criterion is set appropriately low....and at this point it becomes a case of why are we bothering with this: Add in that all the accidents are had by the same small number of people again and again so re-testing everyone annually starts to look rather silly and becomes just another authority mandated (costly) box ticking exercise.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 18,424 Posts
    • 16,628 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Unless the pass criterion was set quite low it would result in a large number of motorists off the road.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    Keep it the same as the normal driving test standard. Then you'll only lose the incompetent ones who aren't up to the (low) minimum standard to be on the road anyway.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    • 2,019 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Keep it the same as the normal driving test standard. Then you'll only lose the incompetent ones who aren't up to the (low) minimum standard to be on the road anyway.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

As an ideal, this is fine, but in reality it's not realistic.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,179Posts Today

8,376Users online

Martin's Twitter