Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • honkifyou
    • By honkifyou 8th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    honkifyou
    Speeding Ticket
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    Speeding Ticket 8th Jul 18 at 12:42 AM
    Hi all,

Today I received 2 speeding tickets from 2 seperate dates.

Offence 1 - 48mph in a 30mph zone
    Offence 2 - 43mph in a 30mph zone

Iím not contesting it at all and fully admit both offences. Thatís what I get for rushing to work and I fully understand itís my own fault.

Iím just looking for information/advise on the next steps and what punishment I am likely to receive? Having never received a speeding ticket before the process is totally alien to me and to say Iím extremely worried is a massive understatement.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 8th Jul 18, 1:03 AM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 5,496 Thanks
    waamo
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:03 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:03 AM
    Hi all,

Today I received 2 speeding tickets from 2 seperate dates.

Offence 1 - 48mph in a 30mph zone
    Offence 2 - 43mph in a 30mph zone

I!!!8217;m not contesting it at all and fully admit both offences. That!!!8217;s what I get for rushing to work and I fully understand it!!!8217;s my own fault.

I!!!8217;m just looking for information/advise on the next steps and what punishment I am likely to receive? Having never received a speeding ticket before the process is totally alien to me and to say I!!!8217;m extremely worried is a massive understatement.

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by honkifyou
    Both of those speeds are likely to result in a trip to court. You are too fast for a fixed penalty.

You will be looking at 4-6 points for each offence and a fine of a weeks wages. If you have passed your test in the past 2 years you could potentially have your licence revoked.

A short ban is also possible but highly unlikely. If you plead guilty at the earliest opportunity this is taken into account and you should get a "discount" for doing so.

Currently there is a post above this one. I suspect it may get removed. Suffice to say if you follow that "advice" you will face a prison sentence.
    Last edited by waamo; 08-07-2018 at 1:06 AM.
    This space for hire.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 8th Jul 18, 2:07 AM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:07 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:07 AM
    Fixed penalty £100 and 3 points is up to and including 49 mph in most authorities. You miss out on the Speed awareness course by 1mph on the 43mph one. So you are looking at 2 x £100 and 2 x 3 points.

Waamo is correct on the above however - the advice from new poster is a soap on a rope offence - you'll do time.
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 8th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    An expensive way to learn to set your alarm earlier (or if your someon who likes hitting snooze, have your phone away from the bedside, so you physically have to get out of bed to switch it off). I still have a Radio alarm, set to a station with the most atrocious music, which does a brilliant job of making me jump out of bed at 6:45.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jul 18, 12:41 PM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 16,588 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:41 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:41 PM
    Well, the mystery post has gone - lemme guess, it involved lying about the car being cloned? Muppetry...

They should both be FPs.

As far as process goes, what you have there will be s172 notifications - a request to the registered keeper to identify the driver. Clearly, you're the driver in both. Your problem comes in that your licence is likely to be away for one when it's needed for the other. There'll be a phone number on them - talk to them. Are they both from the same force?
    • honkifyou
    • By honkifyou 8th Jul 18, 1:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    honkifyou
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:01 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:01 PM
    Well, the mystery post has gone - lemme guess, it involved lying about the car being cloned? Muppetry...

They should both be FPs.

As far as process goes, what you have there will be s172 notifications - a request to the registered keeper to identify the driver. Clearly, you're the driver in both. Your problem comes in that your licence is likely to be away for one when it's needed for the other. There'll be a phone number on them - talk to them. Are they both from the same force?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Yes, the mystery post was deleted over night and was encouraging me to engage in illegal activitiy to avoid points/fine.

Yes you are correct I am the driver in both and have compled both of the NIPís and posted them back today. Also both offences are for the same police force.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 8th Jul 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    Arklight
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:48 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:48 PM
    Here's what you do OP. Sit back, relax and thank every god you may or may not believe in that your awful driving has only resulted in setting a couple of speed traps off, rather than flattening someone.

In a parallel universe somewhere there is a version of you, grey with worry, because while they were doing 48mph in a residential area, a pedestrian stepped out onto what they thought was a 30 mph road and had no chance at all.

And before all the, "It was only here, there wasn't anyone there, it was after the..." nonsense starts, save it. People who do in excess of an indicated 50 in a 30, do it habitually. You've been fortunate in that you've been caught by a camera, rather than someone's body bouncing off your bonnet.

Now learn from it, move on, and when you're eventually allowed to drive again, don't do it again.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 8th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    Richard53
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    Here's what you do OP. Sit back, relax and thank every god you may or may not believe in that your awful driving has only resulted in setting a couple of speed traps off, rather than flattening someone.

In a parallel universe somewhere there is a version of you, grey with worry, because while they were doing 48mph in a residential area, a pedestrian stepped out onto what they thought was a 30 mph road and had no chance at all.
    Originally posted by Arklight
    Harsh but fair.

The bit in bold ... exactly.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 16,588 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    We don't know that this 30 was a residential area, or any of the circumstances surrounding it.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 8th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    Richard53
    I can't think of a single location in my area where there is a 30 limit which is NOT residential.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 8th Jul 18, 10:03 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Uxb
    I can think of a few where the residential part of the rural village ends and then the 30 limit extends for some considerable length beyond with just rural verge and trees on either side till a turn off to another village perhaps third to 0.5 mile further on.
    Police speed van tends to regularly sit in one of these sections - can't think why!
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Jul 18, 1:48 AM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    There's a section near me that is 30, dual carriageway no pavement and no houses at all. Oh and the road is only a few years old.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 9th Jul 18, 9:13 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    Residential areas usually have a system of street lighting. If there is no such system, a 30mph limit must have regular "repeaters".
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 9th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    Arklight
    Like I said originally, I'm not interested in the, "It was only after the... it was before the... I wouldn't have done it if there'd been a." nonsense.

If you've been done twice, doing over 40 in a 30, in a country which only actually manages to police about 0.2% of it's roads for safe driving on a good day, you are a habitual speeder. I am glad the OP hasn't killed someone and hope he / she has learnt a lesson.

Sadly as every journey to work and back shows, there are entire legion of bad drivers out there who think traffic rules are advisory and mostly for other people. At least there may be one less now.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 9th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 3,884 Thanks
    cajef
    Residential areas usually have a system of street lighting.
    Originally posted by TooManyPoints
    We have a new link road near us that bypasses a built up area, nowhere near any buildings but with lamp posts at regular intervals, several have been caught doing well over the 30 mph speed limit and are moaning there are no speed signs on the posts.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    We have a new link road near us that bypasses a built up area, nowhere near any buildings but with lamp posts at regular intervals, several have been caught doing well over the 30 mph speed limit and are moaning there are no speed signs on the posts.
    Originally posted by cajef
    Perhaps the police should send out 10% off vouchers for copies of the Highway Code with the NIPs or at the roadside stop.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 16,588 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Originally posted by cajef
    Fertheloveofgawd. 30 repeaters would actually invalidate the limit and make it unenforceable - which does seem ridiculous, tbf, but if they don't know such basics...

Perhaps the police should send out 10% off vouchers for copies of the Highway Code
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    ...or just point people to the online version?
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Mercdriver

...or just point people to the online version?
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code
    You can lead a horse to water...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 16,588 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Something they learnt for their driving test decades ago, and have "never needed" since...

Remind me again why compulsory periodic retests for all would be a bad thing?
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 9th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 12,991 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Something they learnt for their driving test decades ago, and have "never needed" since...

Remind me again why compulsory periodic retests for all would be a bad thing?
    How I wish they would have periodic tests or "assessments"!
    Roads are too busy now for people who don't have a clue about the basic rules.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin