Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • &*()*
    • By &*()* 7th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 25Thanks
    &*()*
    Was my post inappropriate?
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    Was my post inappropriate? 7th Jul 18 at 9:21 PM
    I'm after some guidance

First post in ages. Shared some thoughts about the M&S bank service and some features that lacked compared to other banks for people to consider. I thought the whole purpose of this site was about sharing tips and learning.

But has attacked me saying my post was too long and I was clearly disgruntled.

I couldn't be further from disgruntled, I just said I used the cooling down period as it didn't meet my needs - even said to people that if you don't need those features it may be fine for you.

Is it wrong to share this sort of review/advice? Was my post too long?

Very upset right now to be honest.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 11-07-2018 at 9:04 AM.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 7th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 17,579 Posts
    • 44,456 Thanks
    elsien
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    I don't read his post as an attack, and if I'm being honest I find your response to it in the original thread disproportionate.
    There was nothing wrong with your original post but on any forum like this you're going to get answers you don't like. The solution, if you can't take anything useful from them, is to ignore them and move on.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    Yes it was not an attack. It was probably unnecessary though.

It was fair though. Too long a post for most people outside of discussion or vents. No one these days has an attention span over 30 micro seconds you know ;-)

I was always taught if I have nothing constructive to say.....

But some people like to say it anyway I guess.
    Last edited by Carrot007; 07-07-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    Yes your response was inappropriate.

As was your private message which contains language not suitable for this board.
    • &*()*
    • By &*()* 7th Jul 18, 11:07 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    &*()*
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:07 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:07 PM
    To come in... to a post you have no interest in clearly.. and say "This is too long. It's not only too long, I'm going to criticise it for being too long. Not only that, I'm going to rub your nose into that I didn't read it. And then... for the ultimate insult, I'm going to guess your content and say it has no value for anyone else."

I mean if switching your bank doesn't deserve 30 seconds of cognisance then... great... don't read. Just move on!

I find it hard to understand how that post, that response, adds VALUE to the forum. Yet my post has no value, that his response has value. His post immediately got a like, mine didn't. Says what serves value here.

I posted a coupon code that allowed people to save 15% at Robert Dyas - I better go delete that, don't want to offend people with too much rambling!

I even took the time - wait a moment, this is how stupid I am - of posting the way to not only use the code but the exclusions too! Waffle, waffle, waffle!

I believe in respect, and in a place that is a free forum, just with people taking the time to offer advice and tips and experience... I find it completely at odds with the mission of the site.

I thought I should pop in and contribute something, and I sit here thinking... why? The aggro, and frustration, would be zero if I didn't post. And more if I did post. The maths are very clear here... which is very sad.

Again, TLDR territory, sorry, I said too much.. I won't post again!

(Thanks for the responses BTW, they are appreciated... I just get stressed over things like this as I'm a good person, just wanting to contribute and it may be petulant but I think... I shan't bother, it'll save me aggro!)
    Last edited by &*()*; 07-07-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Jul 18, 9:50 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    venison
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:50 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:50 PM
    Whatever you do please do keep posting, you'd probably like me be surprised at the number of people who have been "driven" away from MSE in recent times.
    And btw for what its worth your post wasn't too long I've seen some that are three times longer.
    Thanks for stopping by, have a good day/night/week/weekend/life
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Jul 18, 10:35 PM
    • 11,404 Posts
    • 30,588 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:35 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:35 PM
    Whatever you do please do keep posting, you'd probably like me be surprised at the number of people who have been "driven" away from MSE in recent times.
    And btw for what its worth your post wasn't too long I've seen some that are three times longer.
    Originally posted by venison

Wow

Been here a year and you know this for a fact?

Your posts of late are becoming very bitter btw, esp with your sig
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • venison
    • By venison 10th Jul 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    venison
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:41 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:41 PM
    Actually I have "been here" for 2 years and 5 months, and my sig isn't bitter its factual. x
    Thanks for stopping by, have a good day/night/week/weekend/life
    • &*()*
    • By &*()* 10th Jul 18, 10:52 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    &*()*
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:52 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:52 PM
    Thanks Venison... MSE agreed and removed the hateful post attacking me. Which has restored some faith.

Although I see as you put your head about the parapet so someone is now going at you. The irony they say your signature is bitter then theirs is talking about paying 20 to pay off and get rid of people!

If we can't even sit here and share tips and advice without attacking each other, I wonder what hope there is! This isn't a politics forum, it should be about sharing advice.

When a world exists where it's easier for me to NOT share a voucher code or my thoughts on a bank, as I'll get less grief... well, the solution is clear!

So I've asked MSE to delete my account, and I removed the thread with the voucher code... enjoy spending 15% more you guys. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
    Last edited by &*()*; 10-07-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 17th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Well yes, in the time I'be been using MSE forums I've noted many good posters who included links in their posts to prove the accuracy of their posts disappear never to be seen again. What we are left with are unqualified posts and one-liners. I looked through MSE forum posts before I posted this and it is in fact very hard to find a qualified post. What I did find is a large number of posts which do nothing more than criticise other contributors to threads even to the point of personal attack. It's very easy to verify that just by reading threads.

Lastly in order to keep to the status quo this is an unqualified post.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 17th Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    • 12,980 Posts
    • 24,028 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Actually I have "been here" for 2 years and 5 months, and my sig isn't bitter its factual. x
    That's a fact.
    However, I am curious why you specify that you are a 'Former' Board Guide.

Gives the impression of having a 'run-in' with someone.
    Not sayin' that you did, mind. Just sayin'.

It's things like these that intrigue me.
    I'm like Colombo. Have you ever watched that?
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    • 39,835 Posts
    • 146,781 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I've just had a look at your thread.

Now, going by what I read of your OP today, I must say it didn't strike me as being too long.

In addition, I know that at least a couple of posts have been deleted, but the other posters who contributed seemed helpful and/or found your post useful.

It's a quirk of human nature that if 100 people comment on something we write, do, say, etc., it is the one derogatory comment we all remember, rather than the 99 pleasant or neutral comments.

Try and focus on the other posts on your thread.

(Easier said than done, I know, and I can empathise).

Plus, although one's first instinct is to lash out in defence, it is so much better not to respond at all to a post we feel is hurtful, believe me. As others have said, ignore).
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,256Posts Today

6,890Users online

Martin's Twitter