Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 440Thanks
    Robin09
    Back to try again..
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    Back to try again.. 7th Jul 18 at 9:20 PM
    Good evening,

I come on here to read the diaries pretty much every day, such inspiring people on here! I did have a very short lived diary last year but have come back now as a new member to start afresh.

We are on a DMP and have been since February 2016. Our debt when we started were just under 30000 and as of this month is just under 18000. I am hoping one day soon we may be brave enough to go self managed.

A bit about us. DH and myself both work. DH is full time and my hours are varied part time hours. We have two beautiful children, DS 14 and DD 5.

As I said I one day hope to go self managed. To be fair, I am a bit of a wimp and like the one payment we make but also do not like that we cannot make overpayments if we wish..

Budgeting wise, I have always tried my best at this. DH on the other hand has taken a long time to get his head around it all, so for many years I have just been playing catch up on what he has spent and re jigging things as we go along. But, at the beginning of the year I tried a different budgeting technique that has worked so well and DH has stuck to and has admitted is easy! So much so, that the last few months we have saved money and had money left in the bank at the end of each month.

My plan is to continue to save and at some point go self managed and start over paying our debts and get it paid of sooner and to get on with our life without debt.

Please join my journey if you wish.

Robin. X
Page 8
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 2nd Oct 18, 9:15 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,846 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Did you ever manage to look at the works for birthday party gifts? I went in a few weeks ago and got 5 books for 5 and 20 birthday cards for 1. 2 of the books are for DC3 but the others and the cards are ideal for unexpected parties with maybe a bag of sweets thrown in.
    Enough is enough...
    29,603 (22/7/18) 23,121.27
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 3rd Oct 18, 7:04 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    pidge04
    Hello Robin09, just caught up with your diary. You’ve had a lot on your plate. Hope you’re ok x
    CC1 2400/422 CC2 3000/2269 CC3 600/233 LOAN 13,000/5235
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Oct 18, 3:14 PM
    • 9,074 Posts
    • 28,652 Thanks
    jwil
    Definitely just let the dmp tick over whilst you've got so much on x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 4th Oct 18, 5:49 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you all, again

We do not have The Works around here, may have a look online, that is a really good bargain. We have so many birthdays between now and Christmas. Asked the DC want they would like, DD said books and teddies and DS said a bonsai tree, sure that's what all teenage boys want right?!

For DD's birthday we are just getting her a few little gifts but are having a day out ice skating and going to Build-a-Bear. Have never been, have heard its extortionate but I know she would love it, and that will be her main present and we will all have a nice day out.

Today after work I went to see my best friend as its her birthday tomorrow, so went to give her her gift, which she was thrilled with. Then a quick visit to see my sister before she goes to Germany for a few weeks to visit her brother, who has been transferred to a Rehab Center. Unbudgeted spend today was 26.50 on science and maths revision books for DS, cheaper to order through the school though.
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 4th Oct 18, 8:28 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,846 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    I can't help with bonsai trees but the works often do free postage and it's 10 books for 10 online. How old will your DD be? Build a bear do a special offer if you join the bonus club. They do a special birthday bear and you just pay the child's age eg 5 year old pays 5.
    Enough is enough...
    29,603 (22/7/18) 23,121.27
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 5th Oct 18, 2:09 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you so much WelshKitty, I didn't know that about build a bear. DD will be 6, I have just signed up for the bonus club. Thanks again for mentioning that

Today marks 3 years since DH's father passed away. We all miss him so much, he was a remarkable man. He was ill for such a short amount of time and doesn't feel like it's been so long since we saw him last.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 5th Oct 18, 2:45 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    Have been thinking today of who's birthdays we have before Christmas. This month isn't too bad. Today was my best friend's and brother in laws (yep, my father in law passed away on his 40th .) so they are done. So I need to concentrate on. In order...

October -
    School friend
    Sister in law

November -
    Nephew
    School friend
    Nephew
    School friend
    Friend
    Mum
    Dad

December -
    Daughter
    Brother in law
    Mother in law
    Nephew

Arrggh, sure there may be a few I'm forgetting. Plus, twins due this month on DH's side. Not sure if I will get anything yet, as I did give a decent gift at the baby shower.

Glad we have decided to have a day out for DD's birthday instead of a party, they are so stressful and expensive. Have already got a present now for one school friends party this weekend. Will have a look at The Works for the other friends.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 8th Oct 18, 8:04 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    How is Monday nearly over already?! The weekend flew by, although we didn't actually do much, nothing particularly exciting anyway. Although DD did have a fab time at her friends party.

Today DS had another appointment, he went in on his own this time, still finding that weird. He is not liking that he is missing so much school, but he does need help learning that not everything can be in perfect order.

DD woke up all bunged up but still wanted to do athletics after school, but her cough is terrible this evening hope it passes soon.

Haven't spent any of my weekly money yet, so raided the 20p tin for her 1 for athletics as didn't think they would want a 20 note. I am hoping to not spend any of it this week and put it in the Christmas tin
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 10th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    Over the last month or so, I have been getting rid of a lot of stuff that we no longer wanted or needed but I have still been feeling stressed about the amount of stuff around us. So the last few days I have been having a massive sort out. Why I even kept some of it, I do not know!

I always used to enjoy having little ornaments, candles etc but now they really do just get on my nerves. I mentioned to DS that I was only going to keep stuff that I enjoy or actually need and he literally gutted his room last night. Pretty sure he's got rid of half the stuff in there. But just goes to show that we don't need it all. Also stressing me though because we now have it everywhere while sorting out, bags for the bin and recycling, boxes for the charity shop. A pile to try and sell, although I don't seem to have much luck, I will give it another go.

My best friend thinks I'm trying to take control of something I can because I don't know how to help DS right now, maybe she's right. I just know that having all this stuff doesn't make us happy.

Onto what I do need, I ripped my last pair of jeans yesterday. I hate clothes shopping but also don't like ordering online and waiting around for refunds if they are no good, so going to actually have to go and get a pair pretty soon. DS also has had a massive growth spurt again and needs new clothing, but I have arranged for my niece to take him shopping in half term, which he is looking forward to.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 11th Oct 18, 2:33 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    Have sold 3 items and made 18 since yesterday all collected and paid for. Hopefully will have some luck with some of the others bits too. The money will go to some more storage for some of the stuff we do want to keep, as I am getting rid of a Welsh dresser that takes up too much space in our living room. Still lots more to get through.

Had planned to go to the shops after work to look for some jeans, but couldn't be bothered DD has a party on the weekend so will have a look after that, more shops around there anyway. Was going to put last week's 20 away for Christmas but will use that for some jeans now.

Had lots of rain today and the colours in the Forest is truly beautiful. Love this time of year.
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 12th Oct 18, 8:35 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    I love this time of year, must be stunning where you are.
    My hall is full of bags of stuff for charity, too. Not helped by me forgetting when the collection day was last week, oops. Sounds like you're creating lots of space for calm + positivity - & making money too!
    Hope you have a nice weekend. The idea of finding a new pair of jeans always fills me with horror, though it's easier these days now they put elastic in them. The older I get, the more I need that stretch ;-)
    saving for house-buying costs 1475
    emergency fund 150//1330
    debts 1229.6/17,483 | Outstanding Debt: 16,253.40
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 12th Oct 18, 2:34 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    It truly is beautiful around here ftbwannabe but the storm has hit us today. Gave DS a lift to school as he would have got drenched walking the mile to school. DD refuses to be driven as we only live a few minutes walk from her school and she loves the rain! Fine by me as her school is ridiculous for parking. Had to go the long way to work as the roads were flooding. Not looking forward to going out in it again tonight to take/pick up DS from Explorers.

Made another sale today for 20 collected and paid for. Have already spent some on 4 storage boxes and beeswax to rub down a unit we had in the garage to replace the Welsh dresser. DH was home from work early so filled the car with stuff for the charity shop, sure there will be more but gets that lot out of our way.

Got paid for the job I did for my brother, so Christmas and birthday pots are looking good.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Oct 18, 6:41 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 5,338 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Well done on the sales.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 13th Oct 18, 8:06 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thanks Honeysucklelou, glad I give the selling pages another go. Have agreed another 10 sale for Tuesday, so hopefully they will turn up.

In the end, I didn't have to worry about going back out last night as DS said he didn't want to go to Explorers, not just last night but not at all I think it's a real shame but I cannot force him to go. He's been in Scouting for over eight years and has done amazing stuff, so we are shocked he is just giving up. Plus, he had a trip planned to Europe next year which we have paid 400 towards. I'm not even bothered about the money but am upset he seems to be just giving up. I know his friends have talked to him about it too, but he isn't budging with his decision.

Another very very windy day here today but no rain. Roads blocked again with fallen trees so long way to work again this morning. Jeans shopping is done, thankfully. Dotty P's had offer on for two pairs for 26, but they only rang up as 24 . Then DD had a birthday party, so a bit of money spent on some cups of tea and cake, couldn't resist today Have just over 10 left of my weekly money which I am hoping to save some of.

Hope everyone stays safe in this weather!
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 14th Oct 18, 8:03 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Robin09
    Went out today for breakfast, it was planned and budgeted. It is our wedding anniversary tomorrow and for the last few years, we have all just gone out for breakfast to celebrate. I'm not even sure why we started doing it but we all enjoy it. Come in under budget too

We then went to pick up some more storage and paint. We had planned to go out for a hike afterwards to burn off the big breakfast but I got called into work last minute. Rarely work Sundays but the girl who does them, called in sick. So they all came home and watched films until I was back, then we continued with the big sort out. More bags packed up to leave this house forever more

Some family dramas going on, trying my best to keep out of it as its an ongoing thing but they all seem to drag me into it.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 15th Oct 18, 1:26 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 5,338 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    What a lovely way to celebrate your anniversary.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Oct 18, 10:16 AM
    • 9,074 Posts
    • 28,652 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the decluttering and sales Hope you had a lovely anniversary. Sensible to keep away from family dramas.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,492Posts Today

9,780Users online

Martin's Twitter