Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 90Posts
    • 370Thanks
    Robin09
    Back to try again..
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    Back to try again.. 7th Jul 18 at 9:20 PM
    Good evening,

I come on here to read the diaries pretty much every day, such inspiring people on here! I did have a very short lived diary last year but have come back now as a new member to start afresh.

We are on a DMP and have been since February 2016. Our debt when we started were just under 30000 and as of this month is just under 18000. I am hoping one day soon we may be brave enough to go self managed.

A bit about us. DH and myself both work. DH is full time and my hours are varied part time hours. We have two beautiful children, DS 14 and DD 5.

As I said I one day hope to go self managed. To be fair, I am a bit of a wimp and like the one payment we make but also do not like that we cannot make overpayments if we wish..

Budgeting wise, I have always tried my best at this. DH on the other hand has taken a long time to get his head around it all, so for many years I have just been playing catch up on what he has spent and re jigging things as we go along. But, at the beginning of the year I tried a different budgeting technique that has worked so well and DH has stuck to and has admitted is easy! So much so, that the last few months we have saved money and had money left in the bank at the end of each month.

My plan is to continue to save and at some point go self managed and start over paying our debts and get it paid of sooner and to get on with our life without debt.

Please join my journey if you wish.

Robin. X
Page 7
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 10th Sep 18, 7:42 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Robin09
    Yesterday was just spent at home again, doing a bit of painting in the hallway. Nearly finished now, looking so much better. One week back at school and DD is already full of a cold put a few drops of olbus in her humidifier tonight to try clear her nose. DS had his best friend back after school, oh the joys of a sarcastic teenager when they are with their friends.

Work this morning and then back home to carry on sorting, have filled the car boot ready for a charity shop run. Monthly payment to SC went out. Still waiting for my PIN renewal to come in the post, doesn't really matter as I usually only use it now to get the weekly money but DH can do it with his card until it gets sorted.

Waiting in tomorrow for packages. Nothing I have ordered. My brother has his own business that gets very busy in the run up to Christmas, so he employs lots of every temp staff. I do the one job that can be done from home, as his factory is nowhere near to me. It's a easy job but time consuming. It's been a good way for me to earn Christmas money over the years though.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 13th Sep 18, 12:46 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Robin09
    Last couple days have been feeling a bit blurgh, we all caught the cold. Also had a emergency trip to the dentist with DD, who had another visit from the tooth fairy, and an unbudgeted spend of 5 buying her a new teddy because she is 100% braver than me while at the dentist.

Has been a spendy few days actually, with the teddy, new booster seat for parents car, birthday gifts, medicine for DD. Bank and savings all jigged around to match. I have been thinking of trying YNAB, have always wanted to give it a go but never had a computer to do it. But DS got given the computer from my parents so can use that if I decide to.

DD is off on her first school trip today, excited is an understatement. She was stood with her coat and bag on at 8am asking if we could go. Only to the local mines, but she's never been on a school outing before as missed the last one.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 13th Sep 18, 9:55 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    pidge04
    That is great news about your temp work up to Christmas
    CC1 2400/549 CC2 3000/2299 CC3 600/348 LOAN 13,000/5235
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Sep 18, 1:23 PM
    • 8,976 Posts
    • 28,325 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you are all feeling better now and DD enjoyed her trip
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 14th Sep 18, 10:10 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you Pidge and Jwil DD loved the school trip, she even really enjoyed going on the bus as she's never been on one before easily pleased.

Work this morning, then afternoon spent with best friend. She cut my hair and done my eyebrows, so feeling better for that. She can always make me feel better no matter what. Nothing a good chat and coffee can't sort out

DD came home with two party invitations, will have to have a look for presents, I have a 5 limit for school friends. DS started at his new Explorer group tonight. He had a great time. He has been in Scouting for over 8 years and has had amazing experiences. Have not set up the new direct debit yet so gave him his 5 subs from my weekly money. Picked him up at 9pm and dropped him at a friends for their birthday get together. Did stop and buy him a few snacks to take to share, so was another 3 spent. Now, waiting up until 11.30 to pick him up again.

Downloaded the trial of YNAB, I think I'm going to really like it!
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 15th Sep 18, 7:42 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    pidge04
    I too have a 5 limit for presents for DD friends.
    CC1 2400/549 CC2 3000/2299 CC3 600/348 LOAN 13,000/5235
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 16th Sep 18, 7:51 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Robin09
    Weekend has been busy with work and getting on with stuff in the house/garden. DH is still working his way through the decorating in the hallway. It is a huge job as our hallways are really big and we are stripping the skirting boards back to the woodwork. We have had everything to hand so far but may need to start spending a little bit for finishing touches soon.

I have mainly been sorting the garden, which definitely gets neglected more than the house. Took me a fair few hours both yesterday and today just to have a general tidy up, sweeping up the never ending Silver Birch seeds, packing some of the toys away for winter. Trying to help DD get the hang of riding her bike, still a working progress on that one.

Starting the college course tomorrow My boss has very kindly said I can have tomorrow off paid, so I am not rushing about on my first day. I'm hoping it will all go okay. DD also starts Athletics tomorrow, which she is excited for.

Shopping came today, a whole 42p below our 75 a week budget. So still not having much luck getting our shopping down. Put the transaction into YNAB wrong and totally confused myself, but think I am figuring it all out now.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 17th Sep 18, 8:45 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Robin09
    College went well had to take two more initial tests. One paper based, one on the computer. The paper based one was hard! But got 84% on the other, better than I thought I was going to get. Tutor was nice. Just going to try my best and see how I get on. Need to stop doubting myself so much!

DD disappointed as went to athletics as we was told it was starting today but no one turned up, apparently it is now starting next week. Will go next week and see. DS has lost his trainers, not impressed. He has lost so much stuff over the years and most of it is never seen again if lost at his school. Really hoping he will find them, as they are his only running shoes. I have been saving for a new pair of hiking boots for him so don't really want to have to pay for new trainers too.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Sep 18, 10:11 AM
    • 8,976 Posts
    • 28,325 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the tests!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 20th Sep 18, 12:45 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Robin09
    Haven't been feeling too good this week. Have not been able to wee properly. Have tried various bits from the chemist and the usual juices but had to give in today and go to the doctors. He has prescribed me antibiotics but has asked me to hold off taking them until the results are back from the lab, but that isn't until Monday. I haven't had a UTI in years and have forgotten how rubbish they can make you feel.

Spent the remaining W/M on the bits at the chemist, but it has reset today. Got paid yesterday and still getting to grips with YNAB. We had a cheque from Ll0yds for a whole 6.71 as they said they did not take appropriate action when we told them about our financial difficulties. Not sure where we will be even able to put this in as our bank has shut all the local branches. We cannot go to any of the others as we owe them all money

DS still hasn't found his running trainers, looks like I'm going to have to buy a new pair
    • DMP_Tiger
    • By DMP_Tiger 20th Sep 18, 1:52 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    DMP_Tiger
    We still get the odd payment into the old bank, I transfer it to the new bank straight away and not lost anything yet....

Sorry you're feeling poorly, hope you feel better soon
    August 2018: Secured Debt 70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) 34,614 Total 104,617 DFD: March 2031
    September 2018: Secured Debt 69,660 Unsecured Debt (DMP) 34,763 Total 104,423 DFD: March 2031
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 20th Sep 18, 3:00 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    Starmummy
    So glad your first day of your course went well. Adult learning is so rewarding.
    Total debt at LBM c.19k
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 12,618.12/12,618.12 Total savings 450
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 20th Sep 18, 3:07 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 6,574 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Get well soon
    Enough is enough...
    29,603 (22/7/18) 27,572.40
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

461Posts Today

3,983Users online

Martin's Twitter