Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 287Posts
    • 1,595Thanks
    Robin09
    Back to try again..
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    Back to try again.. 7th Jul 18 at 8:20 PM
    Good evening,

I come on here to read the diaries pretty much every day, such inspiring people on here! I did have a very short lived diary last year but have come back now as a new member to start afresh.

We are on a DMP and have been since February 2016. Our debt when we started were just under 30000 and as of this month is just under 18000. I am hoping one day soon we may be brave enough to go self managed.

A bit about us. DH and myself both work. DH is full time and my hours are varied part time hours. We have two beautiful children, DS 14 and DD 5.

As I said I one day hope to go self managed. To be fair, I am a bit of a wimp and like the one payment we make but also do not like that we cannot make overpayments if we wish..

Budgeting wise, I have always tried my best at this. DH on the other hand has taken a long time to get his head around it all, so for many years I have just been playing catch up on what he has spent and re jigging things as we go along. But, at the beginning of the year I tried a different budgeting technique that has worked so well and DH has stuck to and has admitted is easy! So much so, that the last few months we have saved money and had money left in the bank at the end of each month.

My plan is to continue to save and at some point go self managed and start over paying our debts and get it paid of sooner and to get on with our life without debt.

Please join my journey if you wish.

Robin. X
Page 18
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Apr 19, 8:21 PM
    • 8,911 Posts
    • 69,499 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm really sorry to hear about your mum's mini stroke Robin, how very worrying for you. I'm glad she's starting to remember a bit more now. Hopefully she'll continue to improve.

I'm sorry to hear about DS's anxiety. A lot of teenagers do suffer from anxiety, it seems to be a modern plague, but that doesn't make it any easier for the sufferer or their family. My three DC have all suffered from anxiety in the past, but are much improved now. I think the private counselling is a good idea. Does DS feel that it's helping him?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 1,505.
    Goal - buy 50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = 50
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 10th Apr 19, 4:23 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you HHOD. My mum is doing okay. Haven't seen her this week as they have gone on holiday, booked before it all happened which they decided to still go on. They are meeting friends that my mum remembers but not as they are now, in her mind they are still young when she met them. Should be interesting as they are now in their 60s. Will give her a ring later, see how it went.

Glad to hear your 3 DC are doing well. I enjoy reading about your DS's trips away. My DS cannot wait to travel and wants to live in a city, I don't think country life is for him, he's too restless. He is starting his private counselling tomorrow, hoping it will go well.

Yesterday, DD went to a play scheme at the leisure centre while I was at work. She can go for free with her swimming membership. Then back up there for her swimming lesson.

Had my best friend and her girls over for the day today, sun is back out so they had fun out in the garden on the climbing frame and trampoline. DD loves seeing them, they go to different schools so usually only catch up in the holidays. DS was out at rehearsals and has a friend over for the evening now.

Glad I didn't take the rotary line down when we put retractable line up as got two loads out drying today, it beautiful weather out.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 12th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09
    DS's meeting went well yesterday. He connected well with the lady and said he felt comfortable in her place. Will be money well spent if it helps him.

DD went to stay at my MILs today for the day. Had fun going out with her cousins and they bought her home after dinner. Work was busy, my boss took a booking for something that wasn't ready so had lots to do.

Went and bought some bits for our picnic tomorrow. Going to my brothers for the weekend for his birthday. Going to Longleat first and then staying at his house. On Sunday we are taking the DC to a new leisure center that has opened near him with water slides etc. So looking forward to having a nice weekend out and spending some time with my brother and family too. Need to finish packing some bits and will have an early night hopefully.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
    SPC 076
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    • 10,282 Posts
    • 35,700 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you have a good weekend
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Apr 19, 7:24 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,797 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sounds like a lovely weekend...have a great time. Not sure of your DD's age, but !!!! King-Smith wrote a story loosely based on Longleat called "Hairy Hezekiah" . Quite a fun read!
    paydbx2019 #93 572.38/10,100 .
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 14th Apr 19, 9:15 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 8,902 Thanks
    mark88man
    Did you mean Richard - or were you actually swearing :-)
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    End 18: CC:8K@0% - Car Loan:11K@2.8% - Mort:133K@2.1% = 152K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K

• Robin09
    • By Robin09 15th Apr 19, 12:29 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you all. Honeysuckle, DD is 6, I am going to see if I can order the book at the library.

Had a great weekend. Safari Park was fab. Stupidly decided we would brave the monkey enclosure and they ripped off our rear wiper and bent our ariel DD was really excited to see penguins, but they no longer have any there but she didn't mind and had a great day, she made us queue for ages so she could hold the tarantulas and snakes! DS loves mazes, so he went in there and took just over 15 minutes, impressive as the sign said it takes most up to 45 minutes. We got there at 10.30 and left at 6 when it was closing, so a good day out. Travelled back to my brothers and ordered food. I think we have one takeaway that delivers around here. He had the app that had literally a hundred options of food places that deliver! I'm kind of glad we don't have it around here, would be much to easy!

Sunday was swimming but I searched high and low and couldn't find my swimming costume in time! I am wondering if maybe I left it behind the last time I went so the DC went in with my brother and me and DH enjoyed a lovely walk around Bath, beautiful place!

Glad the weather is nice today, to catch up on some washing. Me and DD went out this morning to meet a friend at the nature reserve to take her dog for a walk, did the full 6 mile loop. Back home now and DD is playing in her room and DS has a friend over. Going to try sort some bits out in the house.

My nan sent me a letter today with 10 in, saying to not cook tonight, bless her! But already started to prep tea, so will save it for another day.
    SPC 076
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 16th Apr 19, 1:18 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 7,797 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Bath is a beautiful city to wander round!

Sorry not had any words exclamation marked out before.,.I meant the abbreviated version of Richard, the well known children's author
    paydbx2019 #93 572.38/10,100 .
    School trips 1016/1269..
    EF 210
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 17th Apr 19, 9:11 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09
    I knew what you meant. D*** was my American grandad's name. His surname was quite unfortunate when paired together so he went by Richard

Took DD to play scheme yesterday and met up with a couple of her friends from school, she enjoyed it. After we popped to see my friend to drop off a bag of glass ramekins I have been collecting for her, she makes candles for her shop. She gave me a free candle to say thank you, smells wonderful. Then back out for DD's swimming lesson. DS wants to sell some of his lego sets, so was helping him take some apart last night to check they are complete. One is missing 1 piece so far. Will try and order it as hopefully he should get 50+ if complete for that. Will check through all the others before I do an order.

DD is going out today with my MIL. Just waiting for her to be picked up. Then I am going to get up in the attic. I have a collection of ornaments that I do not want to display anymore, so need the boxes to pack them away. I am thinking I will probably sell them at some point but not too sure yet.

DS has his appointment with the private counseller later today, so want to get as much as I can done before having a bath before we go.
    SPC 076
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Apr 19, 9:50 AM
    • 10,282 Posts
    • 35,700 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope DS's appointment went well x
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 19th Apr 19, 7:29 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thanks Jwil, DS appointment went well. He seems to really like the lady and is comfortable to talk to her.

After work yesterday we met up with some friends and went for a nice walk in the woods and around the dipping ponds. But my hayfever has been awful the last couple of days. I sneezed so much yesterday that I got a migraine and was up feeling ill in the night. Had plans to go out with best friend and the girls to the new skate park today, so dragged myself out. It was so hot out! They had a nice time but after lunch we came home early because my eyes were so sore.

I am happy that we have been out everyday this week though, without spending any money on activities. DD has enjoyed the half term. DS has seemed to aswell, although he's been doing his own thing with his friends, miss him coming out with us. They have both been inundated with Easter eggs from family and friends.

Hope everyone has a lovely Easter weekend. Going to be a hot one!
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 20th Apr 19, 7:00 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09
    Another hot day! Spent a bit of time in the garden but mostly stayed inside, yes I'm one of those annoying people who moans when it's too hot

Had a lovely suprise visit from my niece, she's just got back from Hong Kong and bought gifts for us all. DS went out and bought himself a pot noodle to use his chop stick set with DD was so chuffed with a panda bear, she loves her teddies.

DD had a party at soft play this afternoon. Such a shame that half the kids invited didn't show up! I know it's a hot day but I think it's very rude for that many not to show up. All the ones there enjoyed it though and I hope the birthday boy wasn't too disappointed.

Shopping has come today as I couldn't get our normal Sunday slot because I was too slow for the easter slots. All good until I dropped the box of eggs whilst unpacking and smashed all but one

Going to a big car boot tomorrow. Never been before but heard it is a very big one. It is about an hour away so will take lots of drinks with us and some snacks.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 21st Apr 19, 7:07 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09

Before any easter egg hunts, we first had to go on a 'find a shop open' hunt! Took quite a while! Finally found a corner shop open and it cost us 5.25 for a bottle of calpol. Definitely needed though as DD woke up at 4.30 crying with a ear ache. It helped her and she had a nap for a while and perked up. We also stopped off at my MILs as she had a bottle of ibrofen, so have been alternating.

DD still wanted to go to the car boot, she had a nice sleep on the way. She had 5 to spend, that my boss gave her for being good at work. She found a giant teddy from the set she collects for 7, so I added the rest for her. Checked when we got home and they are still selling for 35, so she got a bargain picked her up some active wear for athletics and some books. DH is not really a fan of car boots and said he isn't taking us to that one again it was very big and it took ages to get in and out of the car park.

DD enjoyed the Easter hunt, DS takes part to please her but he was just as happy with his stash of chocolate

Hope everyone has had a nice day.
    SPC 076
    • jwil
    • By jwil 22nd Apr 19, 4:25 PM
    • 10,282 Posts
    • 35,700 Thanks
    jwil
    Great bargains!
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 23rd Apr 19, 10:21 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thanks Jwil

Hope everyone had a nice Bank Holiday! We stayed at home, had some family visiting and just spent the day in the garden.

I am sad the holidays are over. I really do love having the DC home. Although DS is at the age he doesn't seem to want to spend much time with us. I remember being his age though, I was never home! Not long until the next holidays, DD will get another two weeks off, only one for DS though.

So back to it today. Went to see best friend after work. Was nice to talk in peace and she cut my hair and waxed my eyebrows, she does look after me well . Then to swimming lesson after school.

Checked the bank and budgets today, all are where they should be at the moment but will need to get some more petrol after using more than normal in the holidays.
    SPC 076
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Apr 19, 3:24 PM
    • 8,911 Posts
    • 69,499 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It sounds like you had a good holiday . I like Bath and Longleat too. We had an interesting visit to the bat cave there I remember .

I used to the hate the DC going back to school too as I enjoyed having them home in the holidays. It does make you feel a bit sad when they no longer want to have days out, etc, with you, but the main thing is that they are happy.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 1,505.
    Goal - buy 50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = 50
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 24th Apr 19, 4:19 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Robin09
    I steered clear of the bat cave HHOD, although the others went in. We get bats flying in our garden and I find them really creepy. Took DD on a bat hunt last year one evening with the RSPB and she loved it while I walked with my arms over my head

Yes DS had a good half term with his friends and I'm real happy about that. I remember the best times in the holidays with my friends, most I'm still friends with now. He is 15 next month so it is pushing it a bit expecting him to hang out with his 6 year old sister all the time they are very close though and he does join in with her most days doing something.

Went to see my mum after work but she was in bed, she has more scans tomorrow. So came home and sorted the house and started dinner before DS had his meeting after school. He is still in there now. I've walked around the village and am now just waiting for him to finish.

Much cooler today, I prefer it better than the heat. Hayfever is still bad so went to get a allergy nasal spray! If anyone is in need of one, tesco have a good deal on hayfever relief at the moment. The sprays I bought are 10 each or 2 for 6! Great deal.
    SPC 076
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

7,507Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin