Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 180Posts
    • 846Thanks
    Robin09
    Back to try again..
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    Back to try again.. 7th Jul 18 at 9:20 PM
    Good evening,

I come on here to read the diaries pretty much every day, such inspiring people on here! I did have a very short lived diary last year but have come back now as a new member to start afresh.

We are on a DMP and have been since February 2016. Our debt when we started were just under 30000 and as of this month is just under 18000. I am hoping one day soon we may be brave enough to go self managed.

A bit about us. DH and myself both work. DH is full time and my hours are varied part time hours. We have two beautiful children, DS 14 and DD 5.

As I said I one day hope to go self managed. To be fair, I am a bit of a wimp and like the one payment we make but also do not like that we cannot make overpayments if we wish..

Budgeting wise, I have always tried my best at this. DH on the other hand has taken a long time to get his head around it all, so for many years I have just been playing catch up on what he has spent and re jigging things as we go along. But, at the beginning of the year I tried a different budgeting technique that has worked so well and DH has stuck to and has admitted is easy! So much so, that the last few months we have saved money and had money left in the bank at the end of each month.

My plan is to continue to save and at some point go self managed and start over paying our debts and get it paid of sooner and to get on with our life without debt.

Please join my journey if you wish.

Robin. X
Page 13
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 12th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 7,723 Thanks
    mark88man
    sounds like a lovely day, and significant saving on your monthly bills so in MSE land that's top of the class
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    End 18: CC:8K@0% - Car Loan:11K@2.8% - Mort:133K@2.1% = 152K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K

• jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jan 19, 9:02 AM
    • 9,633 Posts
    • 32,053 Thanks
    jwil
    How was the Zog trail? We are planning on doing it too.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 14th Jan 19, 11:45 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thanks mark88man, very pleased with the monthly savings. Have been asking him to sort the tv/phone package out for months, but when we had renewal letters through for the others it prompted him to get it all done and dusted.

Jwil, the Zog trail was good. We didn't buy the activity pack so there was bits we couldn't do but DD was happy enough to read the boards and have a run around.

Yesterday was just spent at home, DD asked if we could go to fun splash at the local pool but DH was out helping his brother and the shopping being delivered clashed with the times, so will try and go next weekend as it has been a long while since we've been and they do enjoy it.

Have a week off work this week and I'm already bored. I have spent the morning cleaning and tidying the house and don't know what else to get on with. Need to think of some things to do as can't sit in the house all week doing nothing. Do have to look into getting DD some new school shoes, should have known it wouldn't be long until they were too small after getting her new running shoes. Sorted the drinks bottles out though, my sister had one DD could have and DH had a spare in his work bag for DS.

Athletics tonight so won't be a NSD.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 16th Jan 19, 2:08 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    Robin09
    Yesterday I went to my Mum's to help sort her wardrobe, she is definitely a hoarder when it comes to clothes! Cannot believe how much she had. We filled 3 big black bags full of stuff, some new with tags to try and sell, unsure where is best to do this.

Today, back to their house to do my dad's wardrobe. Another black bag full. It's all good quality and brands so will try and help make them some money back.

Potted 15 of my weekly money into the sealed pot and DPD pot over the last couple of days. Have spent today ordering the DC new coats and a pair of wellies and school shoes for DD. DH had sold some tools he no longer used from the garage and gave me 80 to go towards it. It came to just over 90 but DS's coat was in the sale from 140 down to 42! Had money in the clothes pot to cover the extra.
    SPC 076
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,608Posts Today

9,146Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin