Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 607Thanks
    Robin09
    Back to try again..
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    Back to try again.. 7th Jul 18 at 9:20 PM
    Good evening,

I come on here to read the diaries pretty much every day, such inspiring people on here! I did have a very short lived diary last year but have come back now as a new member to start afresh.

We are on a DMP and have been since February 2016. Our debt when we started were just under 30000 and as of this month is just under 18000. I am hoping one day soon we may be brave enough to go self managed.

A bit about us. DH and myself both work. DH is full time and my hours are varied part time hours. We have two beautiful children, DS 14 and DD 5.

As I said I one day hope to go self managed. To be fair, I am a bit of a wimp and like the one payment we make but also do not like that we cannot make overpayments if we wish..

Budgeting wise, I have always tried my best at this. DH on the other hand has taken a long time to get his head around it all, so for many years I have just been playing catch up on what he has spent and re jigging things as we go along. But, at the beginning of the year I tried a different budgeting technique that has worked so well and DH has stuck to and has admitted is easy! So much so, that the last few months we have saved money and had money left in the bank at the end of each month.

My plan is to continue to save and at some point go self managed and start over paying our debts and get it paid of sooner and to get on with our life without debt.

Please join my journey if you wish.

Robin. X
Page 10
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 6th Nov 18, 7:31 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you Jwil, managed to get a bit more sleep last night but still pretty tired after so many nights on the sofa. I remember being given honey so much when I was younger, as it was meant to be good for allergies but it never worked for me and I can't bear the thought of it anymore thank you for the suggestion though.

Had a quiet afternoon after work, with not much to do. Was hoping to catch up with my sister now she is back but will hopefully see her tomorrow now. Took DD to the library after school and I owed them 80p, whoops! She chose only Christmas books this time, definetly creeping in everywhere now. Got her birthday first though.

Fireworks last night were really good. Best display they have put on for a while. DS ended up going out with his friends to watch them, but still wanted his hot chocolate and marshmallows when he got home

Have ordered a few more gifts for the DC and family. Sad to see the savings going down but glad we've got it there. Holding out to Black Friday for a couple of things I've got my eye on, incase there is a good deal to be had.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Nov 18, 8:03 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Robin09
    Got called home from work today to pick DS up from school, as he said he was feeling sick. He did look a little pale but think it's more tiredness as his sleeping is shocking, poor boy. Wish he could settle more.

Had a email today with a 10 voucher for 3bay. Wasn't sure if it was a scam but went onto my account and it had already been added on. Think it's properly because I very rarely go on there. So ordered DD a outfit for a birthday present and only paid 1.98 that's her birthday presents done now. We have only got her 5 little things to unwrap as we are having a day out on her birthday. Just need to sort cake and a balloon. I also did up exchanging some of our shopping vouchers for Pizza vouchers, so that will cover a big chunk for a meal out on the day.

DD bought 2 more birthday invites home from school today. One is on her own birthday so we have declined that one. Also ordered my parents their birthday presents. My Dad wanted some of the posh coffee beans he likes and I got my Mum a new book. Found out today that TOF's is having 25% off everything in store again starting tomorrow, so will definitely go see if I can grab some bargains in there. I have pretty much decided on what to get everyone now apart from for my one nephews 18th, stumped on that one

Also managed to get to see my sister today, so that was nice to catch up now she is back home

Hope everyone is well.
    SPC 076
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Nov 18, 4:09 PM
    • 9,201 Posts
    • 29,284 Thanks
    jwil
    Dh had that voucher too, we made use of it! I had a 5 one, so there must be a few floating around at the moment.

You are very organised!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 8th Nov 18, 7:28 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Robin09
    That's great that you and your DH could take advantage of the vouchers Jwil. I was very pleased when I realised it was real I do not feel very organised this year, usually I am finished by now but have lacked ideas this time. Glad to have got started though and to have sorted DD's presents and saved the money for her birthday day out.

Was meant to have today off but went in as I left early yesterday. Then I had to go sit and wait at my sisters for her new cooker to arrive. I was so bored and cold, I did her ironing when I was waiting I waited a few hours for it to turn up 10 minutes after she got home!

Then I went to look in TOFS to see if there was anything to get to take advantage of the 25% off everything voucher I got. Got a few bits to put away for the DC for Christmas and saved just over 8, so happy with that. There was one or two items I would have been interested in but was no stock, so may go back and see if there is any more as the offers runs until Sunday.

Had money left this week from my W/M. Put the change in my sealed pot and have put the 5 away for next week as me and DS have a trip to the cinema planned

Hope everyone has had a nice day.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 10th Nov 18, 8:25 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Robin09
    Went and saw my best friend after work yesterday, spent a lovely few hours there.

Then went and picked a few more presents up. Also ordered some online. Nearly ticked most people off my list now for birthdays and Christmas. I haven't added up what I've spent yet but I know it's quite a bit. But I haven't gone over any individuals budget and still have money in the savings pot, so doing okay. Apart from one mistake, I have ordered two sets of the same books for DS, didn't realise until they've been dispatched so hopefully will be able to send one set back.

Off out tonight to go visit my brother and his family for a birthday tea for my nephew, will also see my other brother and family, which will be really nice as I don't get to see my brothers as much as my sisters. Costs will be extra petrol and bridge tolls but have budgeted them in.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 11th Nov 18, 7:33 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Robin09
    Lovely time at my brothers yesterday evening, was late home so we all had a lie in this morning. Prepped dinner before going to Remembrance parade, beautiful service.

Couple items were missing in our shopping this week, nothing major, we can cope without them. Already messaged and will be getting a refund for them. Will have to wait a few days for the bank to make any sense to me again, haven't had this much pending to go out for a long time. Ran out of birthday wrapping so will need to get some this week as have birthdays every week now until the middle of December.

DH going to price up two back tyres for the car this week, knew it was coming so have some in the savings for it. I know that once those are done and finishing bits off for Christmas that the savings are going to look shocking. Will hopefully be able to get them looking healthy again in the New Year.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 12th Nov 18, 7:37 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Robin09
    Today's job after work was to come home and find some proper places to hide the Christmas/birthday presents, as wouldn't have taken DD long to find them had she tried. Managed to get a load of washing dried on the line and had a visit from my sister, so a good day.

DH gave DD her 1 for athletics so I didn't have to break into my 20, bonus! Will need to tomorrow though to get wrapping paper.

Had a code to get a 10 L2Shop voucher today from Home panels surveys, haven't really done many lately so will be happy to receive that.
    SPC 076
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

251Posts Today

3,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin