Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 7th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 5,010Posts
    • 6,497Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave?
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave? 7th Jul 18 at 7:41 PM
    As above!

I am now sick to death of the hot sticky oppressive weather that shows no sign of stopping.

I have barely done any housework due to being a sweaty over heated mess. Working is difficult. Go outside and I burn to a crisp in minutes even with sun cream.

Roll on the rain I really miss you as does my garden.
Page 5
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 14,359 Posts
    • 19,174 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We lived in Peyia for about 3 years. July and August were oppressive, particularly the humidity. So while Brits were going there on holiday, we'd returnto UK for an English summer.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    It was in Peyia that we had the condensation on the outside of the windows. We switched to the Polis area since then. A lot less humid than the Paphos side.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 8th Jul 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    tacpot12
    No, love it.
    • loadsacash
    • By loadsacash 8th Jul 18, 5:30 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    loadsacash
    In Scotland the weather is beautiful, not oppressive. People are outside enjoying the sunshine.

I went on holiday to Cornwall 6 years ago and it rained every day and I said then that I would never again holiday in the UK - but now I just might!
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 8th Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 19,099 Posts
    • 20,067 Thanks
    cepheus
    A 'dry spring', Cepheus?! In all my life I have never known as much rain in the spring as this year! Did you mistype?
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Luckily the Met office do anomaly maps for the whole spring so we can check.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

I did before typing. Except for a few upland areas which received average rainfall, it was much drier than normal.

However, I noticed that it drizzled on far more days than normal over the spring, it must not have been very heavy, spread out over many days.

Last edited by cepheus; 08-07-2018 at 7:37 PM.
    Fascism doesn't arrive in fancy dress worn by grotesques and monsters as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis. Fascism arrives as your friend, restore honour, make you proud, protect & clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you: Michael Rosen
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 8th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    • 2,667 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    pepper77
    In Scotland the weather is beautiful, not oppressive. People are outside enjoying the sunshine.

I went on holiday to Cornwall 6 years ago and it rained every day and I said then that I would never again holiday in the UK - but now I just might!
    Originally posted by loadsacash
    My son climbed Ben Nevis yesterday, and last night it poured with rain, his tent is drying nicely.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 5,020 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha

Originally posted by loadsacash
    And enjoying the midges?
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 8th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 19,099 Posts
    • 20,067 Thanks
    cepheus
    Roll on Tuesday!
    Last edited by cepheus; 08-07-2018 at 7:45 PM.
    Fascism doesn't arrive in fancy dress worn by grotesques and monsters as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis. Fascism arrives as your friend, restore honour, make you proud, protect & clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you: Michael Rosen
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 8th Jul 18, 7:44 PM
    • 31,824 Posts
    • 93,492 Thanks
    Marisco
    It's been hotter than the hinges of hell today, although it's been overcast. The worst aspect though is the claggy feeling, although TBH I prefer it warm and dull, rather than full on sun. I've been in far hotter temperatures, but somehow it never seems as bad for some reason.
    • JadedAngel88
    • By JadedAngel88 8th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    JadedAngel88
    I'm not a fan of hot weather but I am trying to embrace it, I am trying really hard. I think I have the summer version of SAD because I feel lethargic, depressed, tearful and I'm not sleeping.

But I have to get used to it as we have got it till the end of July, depending on where you read weather updates.

Hurry up WINTER
    Treat lifes stresses like a dog does.... if you can't eat it or f**k it, just pi** on it and walk away.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 8th Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    • 10,149 Posts
    • 16,021 Thanks
    melbury
    I didn't mind it in 1976, but I was young then and enjoyed the sunshine.

Now it doesn't agree with me at all; it just makes me feel awful and I seem to get heat bumps even when I don't stay outside.

I like it around 20/21 degrees and not humid.

Just wish we could have some nice steady rain for the garden.

I completely agree with the difficulty in sleeping in this heat, it's horrible
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 8th Jul 18, 8:51 PM
    • 2,505 Posts
    • 4,068 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    We Brits always complain about our rubbish summers, I'm mindful of that and doing everything I can not to moan. I just really, really need a couple of day's respite. When this sort of heat goes on for more than a week I can't sleep.

A thunderstorm would sort everything out.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 8th Jul 18, 9:18 PM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 17,910 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    "Least surprising post in this thread" alert.

It has been overcast with occasional light showers today in the Fort William area.

Thanks, I knew you'd all be worried!

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Jul 18, 9:41 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 5,020 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Cooler tomorrow - 31 degrees!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Jul 18, 10:02 PM
    • 14,359 Posts
    • 19,174 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I'm still sleeping under a duvet.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • MrTricky
    • By MrTricky 8th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    MrTricky
    We seemed to have a lot of rain in the winter and cold, I am not surprised we get a warm dry summer to balance things out.

Was really muggy yesterday seem a bit better today.

There is a Muggy in Love Island apparently, I expect you all know that though.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 8th Jul 18, 10:12 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    Callie22
    It's horrible. I'm not at all a hot-weather person and I can't be doing with these temperatures - it's currently 32 degrees upstairs so I'm sitting outside for as long as possible. The only problem with that is that there are awful biting things this year, I've been bitten to billy-o and I'm currently nursing a bite from something that's caused my ankle to swell like a balloon I know we're not supposed to grumble about the weather but a bit of fluctuation would be nice. My one consolation is that the kids break up soon so if anything's going to make it rain, that will!
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 8th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 5,374 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Roll on Tuesday!
    Originally posted by cepheus

Are you supporting France or Belgium? (Or am I missing something and the weather is cooling down then )
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 8th Jul 18, 11:43 PM
    • 19,099 Posts
    • 20,067 Thanks
    cepheus
    Are you supporting France or Belgium? (Or am I missing something and the weather is cooling down then )
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    a 9 degree drop from today in the SE, but then a gradual rise again
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 8th Jul 18, 11:49 PM
    • 19,099 Posts
    • 20,067 Thanks
    cepheus
    We seemed to have a lot of rain in the winter and cold, I am not surprised we get a warm dry summer to balance things out.
    Originally posted by MrTricky
    Watch out, I have the anomalies! It was warm and dry on average

• donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 9th Jul 18, 12:05 AM
    • 27,978 Posts
    • 15,255 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I am now finding myself looking forward to winter. I have never been to a hot country and i dont think i want to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,455Posts Today

9,431Users online

Martin's Twitter