Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 7th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 5,010Posts
    • 6,497Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave?
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave? 7th Jul 18 at 7:41 PM
    As above!

I am now sick to death of the hot sticky oppressive weather that shows no sign of stopping.

I have barely done any housework due to being a sweaty over heated mess. Working is difficult. Go outside and I burn to a crisp in minutes even with sun cream.

Roll on the rain I really miss you as does my garden.
Page 4
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 8th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 19,131 Posts
    • 20,094 Thanks
    cepheus
    If Jeremy Corbyn had his way, much of the economy would have just shut down over the past few weeks, with obvious devastating results.

In 2015 he was Primary Sponsor of an Early Day Motion to ban all workers from having to do their jobs in temperatures above 30C. His commie mate McDonnell was also a sponsor.

In the case of the likes of building sites, the maximum temperature allowed for working would be 27C! So, probably a complete shutdown of the construction industry for weeks, if not months!

Don't you just love him!
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    No they didn't. More propaganda. I've highlighted the important bit.

That this House commends the Women's Tennis Association for introducing regular heat breaks for competitors at Wimbledon once the temperature exceeds 30 degrees Celsius; is surprised that similar provisions are not also in place for male competitors; regrets that workers in the UK have no guaranteed legal safeguards from working in uncomfortably high temperatures, owing to the lack of a statutory maximum temperature at which employers would have to introduce control measures, such as breaks, access to water or air conditioning; appreciates that excessive heat in the workplace is responsible for heat stress and thermal discomfort, and can impact seriously on health, well-being and productivity; recognises that this is not just the case for highly paid tennis stars, but is a matter of concern for workers in a wide range of workplaces including offices, schools, shops, bakeries, vehicles, trains, call-centres, theatres and construction sites; and calls on the Government to adopt the recommendations of the TUC and joint union Cool It! campaign to introduce into law a maximum working temperature of 30 degrees Celsius (or 27 degrees Celsius for those doing strenuous work), beyond which employers would have a statutory duty to introduce effective control measures.
    Last edited by cepheus; 08-07-2018 at 9:41 AM.
    Fascism doesn't arrive in fancy dress worn by grotesques and monsters as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis. Fascism arrives as your friend, restore honour, make you proud, protect & clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you: Michael Rosen
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 8th Jul 18, 9:42 AM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 10,845 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Living and Working in Saudi Arabia [Riyadh], for much much of the year, it was Air conditioned house, air conditioned car, air conditioned office, air conditioned shopping centres, and back to air conditioned house.

If we walked to work, less than half a mile, it was like breathing in from an hair dryer.

Used to come home on leave, and people would ask where the sun tan was!
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    A few of my childhood years were spent in Singapore. We started school early and came home early - to avoid the worst of the heat...careful rules were given for avoiding dehydration and sunstroke (especially for pale skinned fair/red heads like my sister...I had the genetic luck to be olive skinned and dark haired)...air conditioning EVERYWHERE...markets held in the evening rather than midday

Some years later we lived in Germany...strict laws on working in the heat (schools and work would close if the temperature rose too high)...afternoon 'quiet times' were strictly observed - some places the town centre simply shut down for an hour or two - no shops open, no cafes

Now I live in the UK, by the sea...the very second that the sun peeps out then folks are stripping off, burning themselves lobster red, dehydrating and then rehydrating by quaffing pints of chilled beer and alcopos...and every year there are warnings about seabathing (especially in one area) and EVERY year the warnings are ignored (with tragic results on occasion)….. I really don't 'get' the British attitude to summer!...but the same folks cone back year after year and say they have had a fantastic holiday...and it brings in much needed revenue to an economically-dying town, so I guess it has its benefits too!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 14,376 Posts
    • 19,211 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We spend part of every year in Australia. In my experience, while air con is commonly used in shops and offices, not every domestic house has it and even if they do, it only gets turned on when it gets really warm, usually at night. Lots of ceiling fans though and people get up early.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 8th Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    • 19,131 Posts
    • 20,094 Thanks
    cepheus
    June was an exceptionally dry month for England and Wales, following a dry spring.

Temperatures were high, but I expect the first part of June wasn't as hot.

In recent weeks I think the North and West have received hottest weather relative to normal, hence the records that have been broken are there.

Glasgow (United Kingdom) max. 31.9
    Belfast Airport (United Kingdom) max. 29.5
    Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom) max. 29.9
    Castlederg (United Kingdom) max. 30.2
    Shannon (Ireland) max. 32
    Last edited by cepheus; 08-07-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Fascism doesn't arrive in fancy dress worn by grotesques and monsters as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis. Fascism arrives as your friend, restore honour, make you proud, protect & clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you: Michael Rosen
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 8th Jul 18, 10:12 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    No. It is cold in this country so much I am thankful for the warmth.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Jul 18, 10:32 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    boliston
    This is exceptional, so instead of moaning about it, how about trying to see the positives that come with it and make the best of them? Don't worry, the dreadful summers will be back next year and many afterwards and all will moan about the cost of travel abroad because after all, we all deserve to go and get some sunshine!
    Originally posted by FBaby
    I would not want to pay to be even hotter! I love going abroad but generally choose destinations and times where i will not be cooked such as copenhagen in september (still t shirt & shorts weather but not actually feeling like being griddled)
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 8th Jul 18, 10:41 AM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    Spidernick
    A 'dry spring', Cepheus?! In all my life I have never known as much rain in the spring as this year! Did you mistype?
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Jul 18, 10:44 AM
    • 19,493 Posts
    • 45,197 Thanks
    peachyprice

Some years later we lived in Germany...strict laws on working in the heat (schools and work would close if the temperature rose too high)...afternoon 'quiet times' were strictly observed - some places the town centre simply shut down for an hour or two - no shops open, no cafes

Now I live in the UK, by the sea...the very second that the sun peeps out then folks are stripping off, burning themselves lobster red, dehydrating and then rehydrating by quaffing pints of chilled beer and alcopos...and every year there are warnings about seabathing (especially in one area) and EVERY year the warnings are ignored (with tragic results on occasion)….. I really don't 'get' the British attitude to summer!...but the same folks cone back year after year and say they have had a fantastic holiday...and it brings in much needed revenue to an economically-dying town, so I guess it has its benefits too!
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    You mean exactly how Germans behave when they go abroad to southern Europe then?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 8th Jul 18, 11:16 AM
    • 7,571 Posts
    • 6,074 Thanks
    daveyjp
    A 'dry spring', Cepheus?! In all my life I have never known as much rain in the spring as this year! Did you mistype?
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Depends where you live. Some areas have had huge storms and downfalls, others areas have had very little rain.

Met weather define spring is April May and June.

Where I am it snowed heavily in March and over Easter which was just into April. May day holiday was one of the warmest on record.

Not much rain after Easter, a few mm in May and none in June and so far no sign of any rain in July.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 8th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    • 17,679 Posts
    • 36,740 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Huge floods and downpours do not benefit the ground the way normal spring rains do.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 8th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 8,491 Thanks
    Gavin83
    This is exceptional, so instead of moaning about it, how about trying to see the positives that come with it and make the best of them?
    Originally posted by FBaby
    I genuinely can't think of a single positive. Big fan of the usual English 'crappy' summers here.

I've been in 45 degree heat in some places, this feels worse.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 8th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 6,497 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Think I might book a vacation to Reykjavic.

Weather there seems much nicer.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 8th Jul 18, 11:49 AM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    We couldn't have lived here without it, given my husband's lung condition - now he's gone I'm not giving it up!
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha

I don't blame you, worth it's weight in gold at the moment. You could sell tickets to come and sit in the cool.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 8th Jul 18, 11:53 AM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Well we won't get any rain yet.

The Government haven't yet appointed a water Czar.

They did in 1976 and within a few days of his appointment, we had a deluge over the whole country.
    Originally posted by robin58

I was trying to remember who that was but couldn't think of his name. I was telling GC about 1976 and I could see him but couldn't think of his name to save my life.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 8th Jul 18, 12:01 PM
    • 4,607 Posts
    • 5,946 Thanks
    jack_pott
    It's going to turn freezing cold tomorrow. It always does each time I pick up the bed linen from where it's been pushed off the bed onto the floor and tidy it away into the cupboard.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 8th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Depends where you live. Some areas have had huge storms and downfalls, others areas have had very little rain.

Met weather define spring is April May and June.

Where I am it snowed heavily in March and over Easter which was just into April. May day holiday was one of the warmest on record.

Not much rain after Easter, a few mm in May and none in June and so far no sign of any rain in July.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    No, it is March, April and May:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/seasons/spring

I live on the south coast. Whilst we very rarely get snow it seemed to rain most of the time here in this period, such that I made the comment to a friend who now lives in Malaysia that it was the wettest spring I had ever experienced. From looking at the weather maps it seemed to be pretty much the same the country over and I am sure Cepheus must have mistyped.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Jul 18, 12:28 PM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 5,078 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I was trying to remember who that was but couldn't think of his name. I was telling GC about 1976 and I could see him but couldn't think of his name to save my life.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    Denis Howell - Minister for Drought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Howell
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 8th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    It all fell on Fareham. I never go there without a brolly.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 8th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Closer to home (ish) I remember having condensation running down the outside of my windows in Cyprus.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    We lived in Peyia for about 3 years. July and August were oppressive, particularly the humidity. So while Brits were going there on holiday, we'd returnto UK for an English summer.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 8th Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Tallaght
    I need an ice bath that a lot of footballers now take after training
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,071Posts Today

8,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you maintain performance at work when under pressure?... What about you? Part 2 of my bit of the? https://t.co/G5Cej3GYuz

• What does resilience mean to you? For me it?s understanding my own limitations, physically and mentally? What about? https://t.co/CuuRLoQFTr

• Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• Follow Martin