Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 7th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 5,011Posts
    • 6,504Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave?
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave? 7th Jul 18 at 7:41 PM
    As above!

I am now sick to death of the hot sticky oppressive weather that shows no sign of stopping.

I have barely done any housework due to being a sweaty over heated mess. Working is difficult. Go outside and I burn to a crisp in minutes even with sun cream.

Roll on the rain I really miss you as does my garden.
Page 3
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 64,919 Posts
    • 381,089 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I like it to be hot, but not this hot. I've never been abroad, so had no idea what hot was like ... I can only go outside for 2-3 minutes before feeling light headed.

I've not really left the house for 3 weeks, except essential food runs ... and I sit inside with the curtains drawn most of the day.

I like it - but I think you do need to have "the right clothes and a hat" to enjoy it, along with things like "somewhere to go" ... else you just sit inside. I "could" go to the beach ... but that'd be utterly bunged and wedged with masses of raucous families ... and I "could" go out of my way to hike on foot (lugging my gear) 1-2 miles off the beaten track for a bit of quiet sand.... but that seems daft when I can stay at home where I've a loo and a fridge of food.

I've also had to do that thing called "watering the lawn" for the first time in my life.... my god that's a thankless task with a leaky old hosepipe the last house owners abandoned and left behind.... that's not even quite long enough to reach to the end ... and you can't turn the tap up more else all the leaks pee out everywhere.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 8th Jul 18, 7:15 AM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    roddydogs
    The wost thing about is post 41!
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Jul 18, 7:32 AM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I was wondering how long it would take for the Brits to start moaning about something they otherwise moan for not getting!

I love it! Yes it's hard to sleep (hence up since 6:00) but so what. I'm happy to give up good quality sleep for a summer if it mean being able to be outside and enjoying all it's got to offer.

This is exceptional, so instead of moaning about it, how about trying to see the positives that come with it and make the best of them? Don't worry, the dreadful summers will be back next year and many afterwards and all will moan about the cost of travel abroad because after all, we all deserve to go and get some sunshine!
    Originally posted by FBaby
    I have to say, there are plenty of people here in France complaining about the heat as well, so it really isn't just a Brit thing. And, for many people, "getting out and enjoying it " is exactly what we can't do. For me, being outdoors stops at midday, except for doing the watering just before I go to bed.

Not everybody, in any country, can tolerate heat, much less be outside enjoying it.
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 8th Jul 18, 7:34 AM
    • 2,666 Posts
    • 7,606 Thanks
    pepper77
    I like it to be hot, but not this hot. I've never been abroad, so had no idea what hot was like ... I can only go outside for 2-3 minutes before feeling light headed.

I've not really left the house for 3 weeks, except essential food runs ... and I sit inside with the curtains drawn most of the day.

I like it - but I think you do need to have "the right clothes and a hat" to enjoy it, along with things like "somewhere to go" ... else you just sit inside. I "could" go to the beach ... but that'd be utterly bunged and wedged with masses of raucous families ... and I "could" go out of my way to hike on foot (lugging my gear) 1-2 miles off the beaten track for a bit of quiet sand.... but that seems daft when I can stay at home where I've a loo and a fridge of food.

I've also had to do that thing called "watering the lawn" for the first time in my life.... my god that's a thankless task with a leaky old hosepipe the last house owners abandoned and left behind.... that's not even quite long enough to reach to the end ... and you can't turn the tap up more else all the leaks pee out everywhere.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I water the garden after the pub, so around midnight, the hose cost a fiver off some local website.
    My nearest beach is nearly three hours away by car, and I hardly sleep (maybe four hours in bits and bobs) but I have rivers and a canal a few miles away.
    If you haven't left the house for three weeks I guess you are retired like me - think yourself lucky, millions have to go to work.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Jul 18, 7:39 AM
    • 64,919 Posts
    • 381,089 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If you haven't left the house for three weeks I guess you are retired like me - think yourself lucky, millions have to go to work.
    Originally posted by pepper77
    No... not retired.... I'd look for a job but ... it's too hot to go out for interviews, especially as I've no suitable clothes for interviews in super hot weather Unless cropped jeans is OK interview wear
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 8th Jul 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,666 Posts
    • 7,606 Thanks
    pepper77
    I have to say, there are plenty of people here in France complaining about the heat as well, so it really isn't just a Brit thing. And, for many people, "getting out and enjoying it " is exactly what we can't do. For me, being outdoors stops at midday, except for doing the watering just before I go to bed.

Not everybody, in any country, can tolerate heat, much less be outside enjoying it.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    I'm going out for brekkers in a few minutes in full sun, I'll last about twenty minutes, then through the day its a mixture of sun/shade/inside.
    I'm fair skinned and bald as a badgers ar*e.

Its not as bad as '76 when I was doing 12 hour shifts in a stuffy portacabin with no air conditioning and too dusty outside to open the windows.
    Or '74 when I was doing manual stuff 12 hours a day in full sun.

Lifes a breeze in 2018 and there is a breeze now too.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 8th Jul 18, 7:49 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 11,581 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I am no fan of heatwaves!

I have serious skin issues...and the heat causes these to flare up...it makes me really weak and sore.

I also get overly tired in the heat....even allowing for the sensible continental idea of an after-lunch nap.

One blessing is that I live by the sea...so we get a few relieving sea breezes....But nowhere near enough!

I am quietly looking forward to October...I am a HUGE fan of Autumn!
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 8th Jul 18, 7:52 AM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    comeandgo
    I love the sun and hot weather. Wear suitable clothing and hat and just potter outside. I feel much more relaxed in warm weather, when I retire in two years time I will spend a lot of time in sunnier climes.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Jul 18, 7:58 AM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I'm going out for brekkers in a few minutes in full sun, I'll last about twenty minutes, then through the day its a mixture of sun/shade/inside.
    I'm fair skinned and bald as a badgers ar*e.

Its not as bad as '76 when I was doing 12 hour shifts in a stuffy portacabin with no air conditioning and too dusty outside to open the windows.
    Or '74 when I was doing manual stuff 12 hours a day in full sun.

Lifes a breeze in 2018 and there is a breeze now too.
    Originally posted by pepper77
    I'm only out in the sun when I walk the dogs and that's around 0900 and only in breaks of shade because I choose shady walks for them. Otherwise I'm sitting under a thick parasol for elevenses and a lie down to read my book.

1976 was fantastic - I was at university at Essex, not far from the sea, with a wonderful lake on campus where you could swim in the day and all go skinny dipping after the bar closed.
    Happy days!
    • andygb
    • By andygb 8th Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    • 12,628 Posts
    • 27,869 Thanks
    andygb
    I watered the tubs and beds around 6.30 this morning and it was already very warm. It is scorchio now and some of my lovely dahlias are starting to wilt.
    This is on a comparison with Sorrento when we were there years ago.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 8th Jul 18, 8:31 AM
    • 18,534 Posts
    • 38,840 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    My Aunt would have loved this weather, then she was acclimatised to Darwin where the average humidity is 69%.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • MidlandsGlory
    • By MidlandsGlory 8th Jul 18, 8:36 AM
    • 722 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    MidlandsGlory
    In answer to the question..yes.

I paid a lot of money to go somewhere very hot on holiday next month and one of the small pleasures is leaving behind yet another miserable British Summer. If this keeps up you think, might as well have had a staycation.

The only consolation is abroad its 100% assured to be hot. Here its totally hit and miss one day to the next, so I consider the holiday cost to be insurance.

And the beer is cheaper.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 8th Jul 18, 8:36 AM
    • 10,684 Posts
    • 68,390 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    20 to 25C is about perfect for me, but over that and I do start to wilt. So yes I'm getting a bit weary of it now. But at least I am retired. I do feel sorry for those having to work.

My youngest son works in a garden centre and their uniforms are black. He and his poor colleagues are struggling. Not everyone works in an air conditioned shop or office. You have to feel for them.

Thankfully it is going to be a bit cooler from Tuesday onwards. Still no sign of rain apparently.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 8th Jul 18, 8:49 AM
    • 18,534 Posts
    • 38,840 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    In answer to the question..yes.

I paid a lot of money to go somewhere very hot on holiday next month and one of the small pleasures is leaving behind yet another miserable British Summer. If this keeps up you think, might as well have had a staycation.

The only consolation is abroad its 100% assured to be hot. Here its totally hit and miss one day to the next, so I consider the holiday cost to be insurance.

And the beer is cheaper.
    Originally posted by MidlandsGlory
    Plus, the humidity is what causes the problems in the UK so you should avoid that.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • MidlandsGlory
    • By MidlandsGlory 8th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 722 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    MidlandsGlory
    Plus, the humidity is what causes the problems in the UK so you should avoid that.
    Originally posted by Mrs Arcanum
    And I live nowhere near the sea or own a pool, both of which will be instantly available on holiday and utter bliss!

Not to mention the Stifado...mmmm
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Jul 18, 9:10 AM
    • 15,097 Posts
    • 20,646 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by Mrs Arcanum
    It's a lot less humid here than in some tropical hot places.

Closer to home (ish) I remember having condensation running down the outside of my windows in Cyprus.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Jul 18, 9:17 AM
    • 15,097 Posts
    • 20,646 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    You still haven't. The weather here at the moment is unusually warm, but it isn't hot.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 8th Jul 18, 9:18 AM
    • 6,032 Posts
    • 8,646 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Living and Working in Saudi Arabia [Riyadh], for much much of the year, it was Air conditioned house, air conditioned car, air conditioned office, air conditioned shopping centres, and back to air conditioned house.

If we walked to work, less than half a mile, it was like breathing in from an hair dryer.

Used to come home on leave, and people would ask where the sun tan was!
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 8th Jul 18, 9:27 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    jimbo747
    Loving it. A few days over the last few weeks instead of going in to hot stuffy office I sit in the garden with laptop, a few beers and feet in paddling pool doing my work. Makes database administration much more enjoyable. And if I get too hot i sit in one of the bedrooms with air con blasting out.
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 8th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 19,216 Posts
    • 20,337 Thanks
    cepheus
    If Jeremy Corbyn had his way, much of the economy would have just shut down over the past few weeks, with obvious devastating results.

In 2015 he was Primary Sponsor of an Early Day Motion to ban all workers from having to do their jobs in temperatures above 30C. His commie mate McDonnell was also a sponsor.

In the case of the likes of building sites, the maximum temperature allowed for working would be 27C! So, probably a complete shutdown of the construction industry for weeks, if not months!

Don't you just love him!
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    No they didn't. More propaganda. I've highlighted the important bit.

That this House commends the Women's Tennis Association for introducing regular heat breaks for competitors at Wimbledon once the temperature exceeds 30 degrees Celsius; is surprised that similar provisions are not also in place for male competitors; regrets that workers in the UK have no guaranteed legal safeguards from working in uncomfortably high temperatures, owing to the lack of a statutory maximum temperature at which employers would have to introduce control measures, such as breaks, access to water or air conditioning; appreciates that excessive heat in the workplace is responsible for heat stress and thermal discomfort, and can impact seriously on health, well-being and productivity; recognises that this is not just the case for highly paid tennis stars, but is a matter of concern for workers in a wide range of workplaces including offices, schools, shops, bakeries, vehicles, trains, call-centres, theatres and construction sites; and calls on the Government to adopt the recommendations of the TUC and joint union Cool It! campaign to introduce into law a maximum working temperature of 30 degrees Celsius (or 27 degrees Celsius for those doing strenuous work), beyond which employers would have a statutory duty to introduce effective control measures.
    Last edited by cepheus; 08-07-2018 at 9:41 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

2,579Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin