Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bellabella
    • By Bellabella 7th Jul 18, 6:59 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Bellabella
    No final bill from O2
    • 7th Jul 18, 6:59 PM
    No final bill from O2 7th Jul 18 at 6:59 PM
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone knows what the normal process would be re sending a final bill. I terminated my contract with O2 and asked for a PAC code and a final bill. I didn't get a bill, nor any reminders, despite requesting one over the phone when it didn't arrive within a month. I did get a letter from a debt collection agency two months after my contract ended though. I refused to pay them and asked them to ask O2 to send me a final bill, as agreed, which I would happily pay. 02 did this (I got a wad of paper with, bizarrely, an itemised bill for one month that I had already paid, an itemised bill for the last month and a final bill) but are insisting I pay the debt collector, who are asking for another 25. I'm thinking it's too much hassle to contest this, but I am miffed that O2 didn't communicate with me re the final bill before sending it to a debt collector. Has anyone else had this problem with O2? Thanks, Bella
Page 1
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 7th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    It's not the money you should worry about. Your credit file is now wrecked for the next six years. It's too late for this time but you should never cancel a direct debit until you know that a final bill has been paid. If you do things right there will be a credit but you would often need to get them to pay that back to you. If it's a debit you have a legal and enforceable debt. It can be difficult to get a final bill from some networks after you've left, but it's essential that you do.
    • Bellabella
    • By Bellabella 7th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Bellabella
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    It's not the money you should worry about. Your credit file is now wrecked for the next six years. It's too late for this time but you should never cancel a direct debit until you know that a final bill has been paid. If you do things right there will be a credit but you would often need to get them to pay that back to you. If it's a debit you have a legal and enforceable debt. It can be difficult to get a final bill from some networks after you've left, but it's essential that you do.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    I had an agreement with O2 that they send me a final bill. Why would I keep a DD when I was expecting a final bill? I couldn't second guess that they would pass my debt on to a debt collector within weeks without even sending me a bill, despite several requests for one. I agree that it is essential to get a final bill, but how if asking several times doesn't do it? Surely, there is a legal process companies must go through to get paid, which involves at least sending a bill, before involving a debt collector!
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 19,267 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    Why would I keep a DD when I was expecting a final bill?
    Originally posted by Bellabella

So they could take the money you owed? The same way they billed you every month and tok the money.

• Bellabella
    • By Bellabella 7th Jul 18, 11:56 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Bellabella
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:56 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:56 PM
    So they could take the money you owed? The same way they billed you every month and tok the money.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    But my agreement with them was to send a final bill for the money I owed not that they would take it via DD. Maybe I should have let them take the money via DD and paid a final bill, eh, with all that spare cash I have lying around!

If anyone has any helpful comments/responses re my original post, I'd appreciate them!
    Last edited by Bellabella; 08-07-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    • Armorica
    • By Armorica 8th Jul 18, 12:03 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    Armorica
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:03 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:03 AM
    Did you just tell them...or did they actually agree to that?

If you'd been paying your bill by direct debit, it's difficult to see the logic of changing that for the "final bill" which is just the same as any other month. A phone service is pretty straightforward.

It might be different for gas/electric where the final bill has some substance/concept if readings are provided that vary significantly from estimates that had been used.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 8th Jul 18, 12:19 AM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 19,267 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:19 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:19 AM
    But my agreement with them was to send a final bill for the money I owed not that they would take it via DD
    Well that's good. And you have used the letter/email stating that they wouldn't take a DD for the final bill as your evidence in your formal complaint? How long ago did you raise it? You have to wait 8 weeks from the date of the complaint before you can escalate it, unless O2 issue you a deadlock letter.

Maybe I should have let them take the money via DD and paid a final bill, eh, with all that spare cash I have lying around!
    Why would there be a difference in the amount you owe, regardless of method of payment?

I'm not sure which CRA O2 report to, but I assume you have already checked your credit report with all 3 CRAs?

If anyone has any helpful comments/responses re my original post, I'd appreciate them!
    I see where you are going now. What you actually mean is 'I don't want comments from people who disagree with me.'

• keith1950
    • By keith1950 8th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    keith1950
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    The original post is confusing.....it says 'i gave my notice and asked for my PAC'.
    I wonder if they requested a PAC but didn't use it and as such the contract would carry on and that could be a reason for the debt letters.
    As 'most' people know by now it's either give notice OR use a PAC....not both.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 8th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 19,267 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    The original post is confusing.....it says 'i gave my notice and asked for my PAC'.
    I wonder if they requested a PAC but didn't use it and as such the contract would carry on and that could be a reason for the debt letters.
    As 'most' people know by now it's either give notice OR use a PAC....not both.
    Originally posted by keith1950
    Yes it would be helpful if the OP could confirm if they actually used the PAC to transfer their number to a new network.

• pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Jul 18, 1:33 PM
    • 8,682 Posts
    • 6,454 Thanks
    pmduk
    The network will have dealt with the final bill and expected payment in the same way as all previous bills. I suspect the bill may have been issued online and gone unchecked, and therefore unpaid, by the OP.

If I'm wrong then the OP needs to provide further clarification on these points.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,482Users online

Martin's Twitter