Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • demonted
    • By demonted 7th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 155Posts
    • 18Thanks
    demonted
    Is it normal for a high st bank to refuse to exchange bank notes ?
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    Is it normal for a high st bank to refuse to exchange bank notes ? 7th Jul 18 at 4:40 PM
    I don't bank with Barclays Bank but I made a withdrawal from a ATM within the branch.

My withdrawal consisted mainly of 5 & 10 notes and as I didn't want so many 5s & 10s, I asked the human bank teller to exchange them for five 20 notes.

However, the teller asked whether I banked with Barclays and when I said I didn't, she refused to make the exchange, even though I explained the notes came from the Barclays ATM; she was even sat next to a open draw full of notes ?

So, was the bank teller just being awkward or is there some kind of preposterous banking rule I'm unaware of; it's not as if I was attempting to make a deposit into a bank I don't bank with.
    Last edited by demonted; 07-07-2018 at 5:08 PM.
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 7th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    As a non customer of theirs why would they waste their time and notes on you.

Banks do not hold much cash anymore so transactions for non customers went out years ago (though sometimes they don't ask and assume).

And why would there be a rule. You are not a customer, you have no rights.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 7th Jul 18, 6:46 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Chino
    • 7th Jul 18, 6:46 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 6:46 PM
    I asked the human bank teller
    Originally posted by demonted
    the teller asked
    was the bank teller
    In this country they're called "cashiers".

So, was the bank teller just being awkward
    No; the Barclays ATM had dispensed the money you asked for.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 7th Jul 18, 7:04 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 14,963 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:04 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:04 PM
    I don't bank with Barclays Bank but I made a withdrawal from a ATM within the branch.

My withdrawal consisted mainly of 5 & 10 notes and as I didn't want so many 5s & 10s, I asked the human bank teller to exchange them for five 20 notes.

However, the teller asked whether I banked with Barclays and when I said I didn't, she refused to make the exchange, even though I explained the notes came from the Barclays ATM; she was even sat next to a open draw full of notes ?

So, was the bank teller just being awkward or is there some kind of preposterous banking rule I'm unaware of; it's not as if I was attempting to make a deposit into a bank I don't bank with.
    This is correct practice, if you are not a customer of that bank then they cant do a transaction for you.

Even if you are a customer of that bank, they still cant just swop the notes over for you, most of the banks require you to pay the money into the account and then make a withdrawal in the notes you require.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+11,000/12,000 = 91.66%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 1000/1000 = 100.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1500)+-480/2000 = 51.00%

Total 13,122.59/15,865 = 82.71%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • demonted
    • By demonted 7th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    demonted
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    Cashier or Teller, you understood didn't you; I don't think a bank teller would be as offended by such a term.

I'm not questioning how the ATM operated, but I was surprised by the human bank tellers reluctance to exchange the 5s & 10s for 20s, just as surprised as the responses received so far; after all, I didn't make such a request by passing a note to the "Cashier" whilst holding a gun.

I can't understsnd the hostile responses so for, especially in support of the bank, I made what I believed was a reasonable request to exchange the smaller notes for 20s, which I've done in the past at different banks, although years ago and without refusal, yet by the responses received so far; what I've attempted and expected, appears to be the unthinkable.
    Last edited by demonted; 07-07-2018 at 7:27 PM.
    • demonted
    • By demonted 7th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    demonted
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    Westie983, thanks for such a succinct reply.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 7th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 9,488 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    masonic
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    I made what I believed was a reasonable request to exchange the smaller notes for 20s, which I've done in the past at different banks, although years ago and without refusal, yet by the responses received so far; what I've attempted and expected, appears to be the unthinkable.
    Yeah you used to be able to open an account by filling out a simple form and without having to pass identity checks, anti-money laundering checks, and making declarations about citizenship. Times change.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 24,949 Posts
    • 12,171 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    Cashier or Teller, you understood didn't you; I don't think a bank teller would be as offended by such a term.

I'm not questioning how the ATM operated, but I was surprised by the human bank tellers reluctance to exchange the 5s & 10s for 20s, just as surprised as the responses received so far; after all, I didn't make such a request by passing a note to the "Cashier" whilst holding a gun.

I can't understsnd the hostile responses so for, especially in support of the bank, I made what I believed was a reasonable request to exchange the smaller notes for 20s, which I've done in the past at different banks, although years ago and without refusal, yet by the responses received so far; what I've attempted and expected, appears to be the unthinkable.
    If you don't like the notes which the other banks dispense at their ATM's why not go into your own bank and go to a teller ---- sorry cashier! and make the withdrawal there asking for the desired notes?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Armorica
    • By Armorica 7th Jul 18, 11:28 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    Armorica
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:28 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:28 PM
    In the old days, the cash would have been exchanged.

The patchwork of banking rules around know your customer, anti-money laundering, proceeds of crime, and general anti-counterfeiting add up to this being very unlikely now.
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 7th Jul 18, 11:49 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    Nope. I am 65324565 million years old and Banks have only ever exchanged money for existing customers and this practice had never ever ever been different
    What had changed is that Banks used to machine dispense cash to their existing customers only, then they used to charge non customers, then the Banks agreed to dispense cash to other bank customers.
    The bank machine dispensed you cash and you extended that to other banking services
    • demonted
    • By demonted 8th Jul 18, 2:45 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    demonted
    If you don't like the notes which the other banks dispense at their ATM's why not go into your own bank and go to a teller ---- sorry cashier! and make the withdrawal there asking for the desired notes?
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever

It's the first time I've received so many 5 & 10 Notes from a cash machine.
    The whole point of using a cash machine is convenience; Barclays Bank was closer than my own Bank and l had no idea of what domination the cash machine would dispense; in all the years I've used cash machines, I've NEVER received 50 of 5 Notes.

Yeah, now I know what dominations that machine dispenses its cash I won't use it again; unless I withdraw no more than 30; even then, I'd only expect such an amount to contain 2 fivers, not 6.

However, my gripe is not the operation of the cash machine; it's the reluctance of the Cashier or Banking protocol not to simply exchange my cash, especially when there's an open draw of cash right next to the Cashier and I can't understand why so many forum members see this as acceptable and see myself as the one expected more than I deserve.

And whether a billion years old or not, in the past, although maybe 6 or 7 years ago and longer; I have exchanged British Bank Notes for smaller or larger Notes and Coins at Banks, the Halifax, when it was a Building Society and the Post Office; most recently, even at Morrisons Customer Service Desk; on each occasion without issue or refusal.
    Last edited by demonted; 08-07-2018 at 1:01 PM.
    • Vet
    • By Vet 8th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Vet
    you can just go to a local shop and they might exchange for you if its a small number?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 32,116 Posts
    • 20,203 Thanks
    DCFC79
    How much we talking about here ?
    • derrick
    • By derrick 8th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    • 7,074 Posts
    • 2,321 Thanks
    derrick
    How much we talking about here ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 8th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    It's the first time I've received so many 5 & 10 Notes from a cash machine.
    The whole point of using a cash machine is convenience; Barclays Bank was closer than my own Bank and l had no idea of what domination the cash machine would dispense money; in all the years I've used cash machines, I've received 50 of 5 Notes.

Yeah, now I know what domination that cash machine dispenses cash I won't use it again to withdraw more than 30; even then, I'd only expect such an amount to contain 2 fivers, not 6.

However, my gripe is not the operation of the cash machine; it's the reluctance of the Cashier or Banking protocol not to simply exchange my cash, especially when there's an open draw of cash right next to the Cashier and I can't understand why so many forum members see this as acceptable and see myself as the one expected more than I deserve.

And whether a billion years old or not, in the past, although maybe 6 or 7 years ago and longer; I have exchanged British Bank Notes for smaller or larger Notes and Coins at Banks, the Halifax, when it was a Building Society and the Post Office; most recently, even at Morrisons Customer Service Desk; on each occasion without issue or refusal.
    I think post #7 has already answered that satisfactorily. So many people just refuse to move with the times and this causes the surprises that you speak of.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • demonted
    • By demonted 8th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    demonted
    I think post #7 has already answered that satisfactorily. So many people just refuse to move with the times and this causes the surprises that you speak of.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit

Moving with the times; it's forum members who accept the Banks refusal to exchange my Notes in such a circumstance who want to move with the times.

High street Banking, especially that branch, with its luxury seating and decor, is meant to be a customer focused industry, an industry which doesn't alienating people or its potential customers; which is normally common courtesy within such an industry and not my old fashioned expectations or values.

How much are we talking about;
    The ATM actually dispensed 50 in 5 Notes and 50 or 60 worth of Tenners.
    If the ATM has to dispense 5 Notes, two would of sufficed.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 8th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 9,488 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    masonic
    High street Banking, especially that branch, with its luxury seating and decor, is meant to be a customer focused industry, an industry which doesn't alienating people or its potential customers; which is normally common courtesy within such an industry and not my old fashioned expectations or values.
    Solution: Become a customer
    You've been given valid reasons why the bank couldn't exchange your notes in a previous post, which you've already acknowledged
    • Armorica
    • By Armorica 8th Jul 18, 12:55 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    Armorica
    No - it's times that have actually already moved...

Banks have to balance common courtesy against the very significant risks associated with various forms of financial crime. This is a risk they aren't going to take. (And you're not one of their customers)

Some people actually like a lot of fivers. Would you have preferred a message saying no cash available if it didn't suit your denominational mix?
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 8th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 14,963 Thanks
    Westie983
    Westie983, thanks for such a succinct reply.
    No problem, I understand that in the past you may have been able to just swop notes over and this is of course true, but changes in the banking industry and the tightening of procedures and practices due to money laundering and unauthorised withdrawals, new rules were put in place.

I hope you were able to get the notes you required by using your own bank.

Reading back through the posts and replies as others have said times have moved on and you were not a customer of that bank, but can I ask if you used the ATM that only dispenses 10 and 5? this could explain why you got dispensed more 5 then you expected.

Many people miss the sign on the ATM that says this machine only dispenses 5 and 10 notes.

Westie983
    Last edited by Westie983; 08-07-2018 at 1:33 PM.

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 8th Jul 18, 1:33 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 14,963 Thanks
    Westie983
    On a little side note, can you all please respect forum replies even if its not what you wanted to hear, we are all here to help each other.

Westie983

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

690Posts Today

7,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin