Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • millywooller
    • By millywooller 7th Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    millywooller
    Next door sold SSTC
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    Next door sold SSTC 7th Jul 18 at 3:50 PM
    Hi - our 97 year old neighbour next door died in February this year. The house went up for sale and more or less immediately a "SOLD" board went up. The son of the person who died told me that the Estate Agent had bought the house because she "fell in love with it". We are in one of the most 2 popular roads in our area and houses are much sought after and move very quickly.
    5 months on and there is still a SOLD sign outside, but online it says SSTC - which obviously means she has put an offer in and not done anything more.
    We are now selling our house, and next door is like a jungle. Nothing has been touched for 5 months - it is so obvious the house is empty because of the condition of the front and back garden and there is evidence that somebody has tried to break in through their back gate.
    Are Estate Agents allowed to do this ? Apart from the obvious security issues, it makes our house look less attractive.
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 11,011 Posts
    • 9,343 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    Are Estate Agents allowed to do what?

Put offers in on property they are selling, fail to complete on said sale or leave property in a mess?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 7th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 6,190 Posts
    • 5,552 Thanks
    badger09
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    You've made several assumptions in your OP

I won't comment whether Estate Agents are 'allowed to do this', as you've mentioned several 'issues'

However, it may be that the sale is delayed because Probate hasn't yet been granted
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 7th Jul 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:05 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:05 PM
    You've made several assumptions in your OP........
    However, it may be that the sale is delayed because Probate hasn't yet been granted
    Originally posted by badger09
    Exactly this.

A house can be marketed well in advance of Probate.

The offer can be accepted however the Executors can't complete on the sale until they have the Grant of Probate. The issuing of the grant can take several months in some cases.

This looks likely in your scenario.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 7th Jul 18, 4:14 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:14 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:14 PM
    Not really sure how you conclude this is the estate agent problem rather than thr person currently responsible for the house
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 7th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    It's only been 5 months which is nothing in the sale of a property. The condition is the executors of the estate issue not the EA.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 16,588 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    Apart from the obvious security issues, it makes our house look less attractive.
    Originally posted by millywooller
    Since you're in contact with the son (who, presumably, is the executor), have you considered offering to help out with some basic garden maintenance?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 7th Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 2,704 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 7th Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    It's only been 5 months which is nothing in the sale of a property. The condition is the executors of the estate issue not the EA.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Yup - A house a few doors down was sold after the death of the owner. It took best part of a year before the sale was completed. Initially, the garden was completely cut back and tarted up to appeal to prospective buyers, and then left to overgrow. When the For Sale & STC board came down, the garden had a second hack back, and then the new owners started renovating.

Seeing as probate can take six months or more to obtain, 5 months of For Sale boards is nothing.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 7th Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    Prrtty much what people have said. Sales after death can drag on and on and on for many reasons.

I'm sure if you asked (or don't, I doubt they will take action) they would let you clean it up at your expense so you sale can go ahead.

I was considering the same when I sold my last house, though they are not dead, just lazy. Thankfully the housing association told them to clean it up or leave as they wanted to put a new roof on! So It was ok (still somewhat messy) for my sale.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 7th Jul 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,733 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Just go and make the front garden look presentable.

Doubt any of the neighbours are going to try and stop you.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 45,319 Posts
    • 54,317 Thanks
    G_M
    Probate can take time, delaying any sale.

Until the sale Completes, the Executors are responsible for the property, not the estate agent. Speak to them.

There may be a conflict of interest where an EA is instructed to sell a property and buys it themselves, especially in a Probate case where the Executors have a legal duty to get the best price for the Beneficiaries of the will. So if the property was not properly marketed (ie the EA made the offer before properly marketing), that may be contrary to

* the EA's code of Practice
    and/or
    * the Executors' legal responsibilities.

But neither of the above is your problem,or your business!
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 8th Jul 18, 12:04 PM
    • 16,939 Posts
    • 41,813 Thanks
    FBaby
    I agree, if you are so concerned that the state of the house will impact on your sale, then see if you can in contact with the son and ask if he'd mind if you tidied up the gardens.

After all, you would only be doing it for your benefit, he doesn't have to care as to the state of it.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jul 18, 12:09 PM
    • 26,129 Posts
    • 94,836 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Just wait till the new owner gets possession. If it's the ex-house of a 97 year old, it will probably need gutting, which means skips on the drive and jack-hammers going at random times for 3 months (if you're lucky - could be a year.)

What is it our favourite poster, Crashy says? "Drop your price and get out while you still can!"

Well, yes, I realise you haven't yet marketed, so maybe that's premature!

However, those who have sold a number of times will tell you, there's never a perfect time and usually something nearby one hopes that viewers won't spot. That's life!
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    Margot123
    As the neighbour was 97, I'm guessing the son could be elderly himself and isn't able to do the work himself, nor have the means to pay for a gardener.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,535Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin