Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 7th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    • 2,355Posts
    • 3,490Thanks
    Kim kim
    Cheapest ipad to play ROBLOX
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    Cheapest ipad to play ROBLOX 7th Jul 18 at 3:35 PM
    My grandson wants an iPad for his birthday (not another make).
    One of the things he wants to do is play ROBLOX on it.
    My daughter has an old iPad, itís got very old software and wonít update and this ROBLOX canít be downloaded onto it, due to age of version of software.
    It also barely charges, think 5% in a day.

So today my daughter took it to Apple to pay the £226 and get a repair (which is actually a replacement).
    They said the model they would replace it with would be like for like, with old software. I expected it to be an older model (a recon) but I assumed it would be updated to the most recent software version.

So thatís no good. They wonít offer trade in as it has a tiny crack in the corner of the screen.

Iím actually a mature uni student and I get a tiny Apple discount. I can get the £319 model for £303 (huge discount huh!).

I tried the Argos trade in, but the website is funny, Iím not sure if Iíd get £16 or £50!

Am I missing anything, are there any other deals?

I have a practically useless old iPad I can trade in.
    Last edited by Kim kim; 07-07-2018 at 3:49 PM.
Page 1
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 7th Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    Try CEX, the trade in prices are pretty decent.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 7th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    Try CEX, the trade in prices are pretty decent.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    The Ďtrade inĒ one is knackered and needs a repair/replacement.
    My only reason for mentioning it, I thought it might get me a replacement at a good price.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 8th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    20aday
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    Have a look at Apple!!!8217;s Refurbished and Clearance models?:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/FPGW2B/A/Refurbished-iPad-Wi-Fi-128GB-Gold

As an example this model is the iPad (2017) with WiFi and 128GB of storage (actual formatted capacity less) and it!!!8217;s £299.00.

They go through testing etc so you stand a better chance of things working fine rather than buying a new model and encountering teething problems.
    Last edited by 20aday; 08-07-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Add info
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Jul 18, 11:59 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:59 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:59 PM
    Have a look at Apple!!!8217;s Refurbished and Clearance models?:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/FPGW2B/A/Refurbished-iPad-Wi-Fi-128GB-Gold

As an example this model is the iPad (2017) with WiFi and 128GB of storage (actual formatted capacity less) and it!!!8217;s £299.00.

They go through testing etc so you stand a better chance of things working fine rather than buying a new model and encountering teething problems.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    Heís unlikely to be storing lots of stuff on it, no music.
    I would have thought Iíd be better with a brand new one than a refurbished one as the price is about the same.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 9th Jul 18, 6:42 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:42 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:42 AM
    Can anyone advise the best !!!8220;new!!!8221; deal I can get please, the MSE info isn!!!8217;t up to date.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 9th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    Can anyone advise the best !!!8220;new!!!8221; deal I can get please, the MSE info isn!!!8217;t up to date.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Google is your friend.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    The Ďtrade inĒ one is knackered and needs a repair/replacement.
    My only reason for mentioning it, I thought it might get me a replacement at a good price.
    Why? They're not going to do you a favour just because you've bought one previously I'm afraid.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jul 18, 5:58 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:58 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:58 AM
    Why? They're not going to do you a favour just because you've bought one previously I'm afraid.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I didnít mean with Apple, I meant anyone that is doing a trade in deal.

The replies to my question are somewhat unhelpful....
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jul 18, 5:59 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Google is your friend.
    The lovely people on Mse often have suggestions on way to tweak offers to get the best deal, trade ins, points, etc.
    Google tends not to advise you of that....
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 11th Jul 18, 7:23 AM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    The lovely people on Mse often have suggestions on way to tweak offers to get the best deal, trade ins, points, etc.
    Google tends not to advise you of that....
    iPads has or their value remarkably well so I would say that itís probably worth only buying new or refurbished. An older model with lose its software support sooner than the iPad will last. We have Ann iPad mini one which is only a few years old but will not do any software updates and is stuck on 9.3 which means that some apps like netflix will no longer work. So I would suggest you buy as newer model as possible in a sale from somewhere like John Lewis who offer a 3 year warranty.
    Personally I wouldnít buy another iPad as they are expensive and quite restrictive in terms of screen sharing and apps you can download.
    A £200 android tablet would probably be better value than a £300 iPad.
    • Rev
    • By Rev 11th Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 2,722 Thanks
    Rev
    Not sure why you!!!8217;d expect an old iPad to come with the latest software. For it to not be capable os iOS 11it must be at least 4/5 years old. They can only replace like for like. They can!!!8217;t magically make an old iPad capable of running the latest software.

Keep an eye on the Apple refurb site they often have last years iPad 32gb for around £230.
    Sigless
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jul 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    iPads has or their value remarkably well so I would say that itís probably worth only buying new or refurbished. An older model with lose its software support sooner than the iPad will last. We have Ann iPad mini one which is only a few years old but will not do any software updates and is stuck on 9.3 which means that some apps like netflix will no longer work. So I would suggest you buy as newer model as possible in a sale from somewhere like John Lewis who offer a 3 year warranty.
    Personally I wouldnít buy another iPad as they are expensive and quite restrictive in terms of screen sharing and apps you can download.
    Itís the only thing he wants
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 14th Jul 18, 11:18 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Thatís what Iím trying to do, buy a new one at the best price I can.
    Curryís had a trade in deal, they would have given me £50 off a new one for the old one. But itís just finished, I was messing about thinking the Apple replacement would be ok for ROBLOX & Iíve missed out.
    I posted here hoping someone might know of another deal.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 14th Jul 18, 11:19 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Not sure why you!!!8217;d expect an old iPad to come with the latest software. For it to not be capable os iOS 11it must be at least 4/5 years old. They can only replace like for like. They can!!!8217;t magically make an old iPad capable of running the latest software.

Keep an eye on the Apple refurb site they often have last years iPad 32gb for around £230.
    Originally posted by Rev
    I thought the like for like replacement would have the software up to date to be able to play roblox.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 14th Jul 18, 11:22 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Actually Apple do.
    They will replace any old Apple product for a decent price.
    I drove over my phone once (destroyed it) and had it replaced for £150.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 15th Jul 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    tonyh66
    Actually Apple do.
    They will replace any old Apple product for a decent price.
    I drove over my phone once (destroyed it) and had it replaced for £150.
    its like your cannabis dealer offering you a little sample of coke. once you have had apple there's no return and your grandson is already hooked.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 15th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    You don't need Apple to play Roblox, my son quite happily plays roblox on a kindle fire tablet
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 15th Jul 18, 5:58 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    You don't need Apple to play Roblox, my son quite happily plays roblox on a kindle fire tablet
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Why do people do this on mse!
    Iíve said straight from the off, I want an Apple iPad that is capable of playing roblox.
    Thatís like me saying, Iím interested in buying a nice new Range Rover and someone coming along and saying, have you thought about a second hand fiat panda!!
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 15th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    Kim kim
    its like your cannabis dealer offering you a little sample of coke. once you have had apple there's no return and your grandson is already hooked.
    Originally posted by tonyh66
    I like Apple and Apple compatible products.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

2,317Users online

Martin's Twitter