Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoeEngland
    • By JoeEngland 7th Jul 18, 3:17 PM
    • 132Posts
    • 136Thanks
    JoeEngland
    Good locations for cheaper houses
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:17 PM
    Good locations for cheaper houses 7th Jul 18 at 3:17 PM
    We're planning to give up work in a couple of years then move to somewhere cheaper to free up some cash from sale of the house. We'll be hoping to get a 3/4 bedroom detached house for around 230-270k in a nice semi-rural area. On our radar so far are Anglesey and some towns inland near Skegness. Any recommendations for other places to consider? We probably wouldn't go much further north than Skegness.
Page 2
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 7th Jul 18, 7:44 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    sleepymans
    Peterborough, Lincolnshire, Kings lynn etc......will !!!8220;sooner or later!!!8221;be under sea water.
    The flat landscape is exceptionally boring!
    The north west is THE place to be and is v.g. VFM
    Goddess
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 7th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    Would like to be as near to the coast as possible.
    Originally posted by JoeEngland
    If you are thinking of coastal Lincolnshire I suggest you drive from Lincoln to the coast in summer before you make a decision.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Ahora, estoy estudiando espanol por la noche. Es facil y tengo cinquenta y dos anos! Tambien me gusteria vivir en Espana.
    Originally posted by kingstreet

Trans (tell me if I have it right, kingstreet) Right now, I am studying Spanish in the evenings/at evening class. It is easy and I am 52 years old! I too would like to live in Spain.

I have O Level Spanish and have not used it since 1980. If you did any French at school, it will help. If you were good at it, learning Spanish is like falling off a log. All the grammar is the same and Spanish is pronounced pretty much as it is written, with few, easy to remember exceptions.

Es verdad, kingstreet?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Jul 18, 8:08 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Peterborough, Lincolnshire, Kings lynn etc......will !!!8220;sooner or later!!!8221;be under sea water.
    The flat landscape is exceptionally boring!
    The north west is THE place to be and is v.g. VFM
    Originally posted by sleepymans
    Para cada uno, su propio gusto. No me gusta nada el noroeste de Inglaterra. No way, Jose.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 7th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 4,506 Thanks
    vansboy
    Im new to Grantham..very good value and lots new developments mean it SHOULD be a chance of prices increasing. Convenient for A1 and rail as mentioned. Lots nicer parts close by.

Only done a couple of seaside days out and thought Chapel St Leonards and Sandilands near Mablethorpe offered some ok retirement possibles.

VB
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 8th Jul 18, 10:58 AM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    We moved from the South East to South Lincolnshire a few years ago (Shepeau Stow) and loved it. We later moved a few miles away to North Cambridgeshire and love it here too
    • isadora127
    • By isadora127 8th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    isadora127
    Agrinnall - could you please explain your comment about Anglesey?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jul 18, 10:49 PM
    • 16,611 Posts
    • 45,853 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Agrinnall may have meant something different - but I'd hazard a guess it's down to Anglesey is one of the "strongholds" of the Welsh language. Those parts of the country can feel like being in a different country - and some people will tell you you are in a different country.

Many of us don't realise the way things are at the moment in that respect unless we move here.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jul 18, 10:57 PM
    • 26,166 Posts
    • 94,966 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'm still trying to work out why anyone would want to leave the South West.......

Plenty of reasonable houses in the less fashionable towns of Devon within your budget. Close to the sea too, if you want it.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • datlex
    • By datlex 8th Jul 18, 11:34 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    datlex
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E882&maxBedro oms=4&minBedrooms=3&maxPrice=280000&minPrice=20000 0&radius=40.0&sortType=1&propertyTypes=detached&se condaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&include SSTC=false

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54854931.html
    Last edited by datlex; 08-07-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: addition
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Jul 18, 4:57 AM
    • 33,069 Posts
    • 19,940 Thanks
    getmore4less
    We're planning to give up work in a couple of years then move to somewhere cheaper to free up some cash from sale of the house. We'll be hoping to get a 3/4 bedroom detached house for around 230-270k in a nice semi-rural area. On our radar so far are Anglesey and some towns inland near Skegness. Any recommendations for other places to consider? We probably wouldn't go much further north than Skegness.
    In the south-west of England. Our house is probably worth around 320-330k and we're mortgage free.
    That's quite a wide range of release, 50k won't go far 100k is better.

3/4 bed and semi rural is this the last move or will there need to another one that will eat more cash.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 9th Jul 18, 6:58 AM
    • 3,268 Posts
    • 8,610 Thanks
    tori.k
    I'm still trying to work out why anyone would want to leave the South West.......

Plenty of reasonable houses in the less fashionable towns of Devon within your budget. Close to the sea too, if you want it.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Plenty in Cornwall also at that budget
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 2127
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 9th Jul 18, 8:33 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Another vote for Newark. We moved up from London end last year. But what sort of property do you want, the budget you indicate would get you a three bedroom detached in a newer development, some of which are in Newark's surrounding villages. But you'd probably struggle for four or an older/period red brick or cottage property unless you were prepared to do some work on it or compromise on the detached criteria. Fab town, great links to London, Nottingham, Lincoln...but a little way from the coast though: Skegvegas, Mablethorpe, Scarborough. We love it here, early forties, dropped down from full to part time work to be able to enjoy it more.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Part-time gigger and charity volunteer 2018
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 9th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 6,120 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Have a look at the area around Louth, Lincolnshire. It's a lovely market town with a cinema, theatre, leisure centre, a great selection of independent shops & a small hospital.
    Originally posted by Mardle
    I too would recommend Louth but, be aware it's full of 'lemmings' especially on market day, pedestrians tend not to look before strolling across the road.

More used to tractors probably.

Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 9th Jul 18, 11:00 AM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    We lived in North West Kent first (London/Surrey borders) we then moved down to the coast various places along there. Quite liked it there but much prefer it up here.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    need an answer
    Not going to offer any suggestions but research the places you are considering in all seasons,not just based on a weekend away during spring or a 2 week stay in august...what about a chilly November or a snowy December too.

I personally have found that some of the welsh areas are rather stunning its easy to see when you delve a little deeper that some of the communities do not always welcome new residents to the area. You may live there and be tolerated but to some you will never be welsh

Its a personal viewpoint from someone who has a welsh parent but even I know I'm never going to be considered to fit into a true welsh community.
    I've not made my comment in relation to Anglesey per se more based on some of the valley areas.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-07-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    in S 37 T 58 F 58
    out S 52 T 61 F 66
    2017 -32
    • cajef
    • By cajef 9th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 4,845 Posts
    • 3,885 Thanks
    cajef
    Plenty in Cornwall also at that budget
    Originally posted by tori.k
    Having lived in East Anglia for 19 years, all I can say is I was glad to be rid of the boring flat scenery when I moved back home to Cornwall.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Having lived in East Anglia for 19 years, all I can say is I was glad to be rid of the boring flat scenery when I moved back home to Cornwall.
    Originally posted by cajef
    Yes, it is prettier to look at but, when you are born into flat scenery, slopes are a pain the butt, legs, feet, back... To say nothing of a waste of time. You can walk so much further on one level than going up and down and up and down only to find you have progressed about six feet horizontally.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 9th Jul 18, 11:46 AM
    • 4,845 Posts
    • 3,885 Thanks
    cajef
    You can walk so much further on one level than going up and down and up and down only to find you have progressed about six feet horizontally.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Well I would rather walk up a hill or along the coast seeing the bright blue clear sea and have glorious views rather than looking at flat fields with no view and muddy brown coloured sea, it all depends on how much satisfaction you get from where you live and I know where I would rather be.
    Last edited by cajef; 09-07-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Jul 18, 12:30 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Well I would rather walk up a hill or along the coast seeing the bright blue clear sea and have glorious views rather than looking at flat fields with no view and muddy brown coloured sea, it all depends on how much satisfaction you get from where you live and I know where I would rather be.
    Originally posted by cajef
    So do I, I just can't afford to live among the flat fields any more. You can keep the coast, whichever bit of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,887Posts Today

8,466Users online

Martin's Twitter