Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 7th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 110Posts
    • 24Thanks
    surfer9
    God Awful Landlady
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    God Awful Landlady 7th Jul 18 at 2:04 PM
    Hi,

I live in a house share in London. Our landlady does not understand that she needs to give us notice, we have told her god knows how many times..... informing her that it was illegal for her, any workmen, or cleaners to just enter the house.....

And as I work from home, I am usually in the house. During the past 2 weeks I have had builders in and out the house, cleaners, I have had to let ppl in the house that I didn't even know were coming round. For all I know they could be dodgy criminals.

Not sure what to do now. She is acting like a child. I and fellow housemates have advised her so many times to give notice and she STILL doesn't, after years.

Anything I can do? report her? will that even do anything to make her come to sense?
    Last edited by surfer9; 07-07-2018 at 8:16 PM.
Page 2
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 8th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    surfer9
    Even if people are renting a room in a house.....say they have a day off, chilling in their garden in their speedos, listening to some classical music in the sunshine, enjoying a cocktail.......

A guy with a chainsaw appears, who has let himself through the gate into the garden and starts chopping down a tree for the next 5 hours.

No notice is needed to be given to the tenants about this? That's just ridiculous.

Tenants don't know if the chainsaw guy is trespassing, tenants do not have the opportunity to pre-arrange their day to avoid the noise, ie. by instead going to the beach.

It's harassment. If you have no prior warning you don't know who is going to be coming into the house at any moment or if they are friend or foe.

------------------

A tiler enters the house and is here to re-tile the bathroom. You had no prior warning of this. You wake up needing to take a shower before heading to work or an interview. You cannot access the shower as the tiler is in the middle of his work.

Seriously....... no prior warning from the landlord...... you have got to be joking. This is harassment. I could have woken up earlier to have my shower if I had prior warning. Now I have to go to work stinking of B.O.

Really....... this is acceptable? no notice whatsoever? landlord can send round who she wants, when she wants, with no notice?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Jul 18, 11:20 AM
    • 46,165 Posts
    • 55,868 Thanks
    G_M
    Instead of being defensive to every response you dislike, why not clarify he position so that we can offer relevant responses?

See earlier questions.

However, to pre-empt the answer to one of those questions:

* if you have a single 'joint & several' contract with the other occupants, then if the landlord informs one joint tenant (of a planned visit or whatever), then legally he has informed you all. Any failure by the joint tenants to communicate between themselves is not his fault.

* if you each have individual contracts, and this is an HMO, then the landlord does not need to inform any of you if he (or his contractors) plan to access the 'common parts' (ie shared areas like kitchen, garden etc)
    Last edited by G_M; 08-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 8th Jul 18, 12:28 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    surfer9
    Most comments I received were keyboard warriors who want to tell people they are wrong, that is what this forum is made up of, people who just want to criticise people's opinions/thoughts/situations instead of helping.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Jul 18, 12:34 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Margot123
    We can all do a bit of Googling and get things wrong. Some may even conclude that trespass is a criminal offence, and that a 'right to quiet enjoyment' is easily defended.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 8th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    Slithery
    Until you actually tell us what sort of tenancy you have it's impossible for anyone to help, as we're all just guessing.

Please answer the questions that you've been asked.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 19,667 Posts
    • 18,230 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I am complaining that she is letting everyone in the house know about when builders/her/window cleaners are coming round, apart from me. There is no respect, no courtesy.....
    Originally posted by surfer9
    So, umm, do your housemates not talk to you?
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    takman
    Even if people are renting a room in a house.....say they have a day off, chilling in their garden in their speedos, listening to some classical music in the sunshine, enjoying a cocktail.......

A guy with a chainsaw appears, who has let himself through the gate into the garden and starts chopping down a tree for the next 5 hours.

No notice is needed to be given to the tenants about this? That's just ridiculous.

Tenants don't know if the chainsaw guy is trespassing, tenants do not have the opportunity to pre-arrange their day to avoid the noise, ie. by instead going to the beach.

It's harassment. If you have no prior warning you don't know who is going to be coming into the house at any moment or if they are friend or foe.

------------------

A tiler enters the house and is here to re-tile the bathroom. You had no prior warning of this. You wake up needing to take a shower before heading to work or an interview. You cannot access the shower as the tiler is in the middle of his work.

Seriously....... no prior warning from the landlord...... you have got to be joking. This is harassment. I could have woken up earlier to have my shower if I had prior warning. Now I have to go to work stinking of B.O.

Really....... this is acceptable? no notice whatsoever? landlord can send round who she wants, when she wants, with no notice?
    You've already said in a previous post the landlord is giving notice to some of the tenants so the points you made above are irrelevant.

Like I said if you rent the entire house she only has to give notice to one of the tenants who can then tell everyone else.

You even said every other person in the house is informed of the work so it sounds like none of them are telling you?.
    So the landlord doesn't want to talk to you and your housemates don't want to talk to you?.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th Jul 18, 1:48 PM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 7,035 Thanks
    00ec25
    Most comments I received were keyboard warriors who want to tell people they are wrong, that is what this forum is made up of, people who just want to criticise people's opinions/thoughts/situations instead of helping.
    and so far all your comments have refused to answer straight questions which would give you straight answers. Stop messing around, do you want a correct answer or not?
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 8th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 6,881 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    Just
    Answer
    The
    Bloody
    Questions
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 8th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    • 5,278 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    csgohan4
    If your subletting, I hope you have been declaring the tax, oh wait we won't get a straight answer to that
    Last edited by csgohan4; 09-07-2018 at 8:30 AM.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Jul 18, 8:52 PM
    • 46,165 Posts
    • 55,868 Thanks
    G_M
    Just
    Answer
    The
    Bloody
    Questions
    Originally posted by Takeaway_Addict
    Are you allowed to say that?

When I get aggravated and post, I get told off!
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 9th Jul 18, 11:00 AM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    saajan_12
    Since you're not going to answer tenancy you have, I'll outline the position for both. But the point is you can only claim tenants rights to notice, quiet enjoyment etc over the area you are exclusively renting, not common areas.

A. Joint & several tenancy for the whole house
    Notice: The LL has to give notice for non emergency access to the tenant as a unit. That means one person if 'the tenant' is made up of multiple people. You say your housemates have been told, so the LL has fulfilled their responsibility re notice.
    QE: The access should not affect your quiet enjoyment - if it is necessary (e.g. repairs) or pre agreed access (e.g. for agreed cleaning, reasonable frequency of viewings per tenancy agreement) then this does not breach your right to quiet enjoyment.

B. IF you are renting a room in a house
    Notice: You must be notified of access to YOUR ROOM. The LL can access common areas without notice.
    QE: The LL must not affect your quiet enjoyment of your room by unnecessarily accessing the common areas to e.g. hang out in the common kitchen. However if they are accessing it for repairs / agreed cleaning, this is fine.

That is the legal position. That's what you signed up to. If you made a mistake or changed your mind, another arrangement elsewhere that you prefer.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 9th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 13,356 Posts
    • 19,231 Thanks
    Pixie5740

------------------

Legally, yes.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 18, 11:16 AM
    • 19,667 Posts
    • 18,230 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Legally, yes.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    <nods>
    Just as if you were in a flat and it was the common areas of the block which were being worked on.

Think of your room in a shared property as being your flat.

If you don't like it, don't rent a room in a shared property.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jul 18, 11:25 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    need an answer
    GM has asked you several times to clarify the type of tenancy you have in order to give you the correct advice.

If you wish to brand GM a keyboard warrior then that's your lookout but its a view not shared by a huge amount of posters on this board.

Sadly this is just another thread where its just turning bad simply because the OP doesn't like the answers being given.

I sometimes wonder why people post a dilemma or ask for advice when actually what they really want is agreement with their own view.

A constructive debate is far different to a one view.

People can move on with constructive debate but its very difficult to get any clarification on anything when the one view is adopted.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-07-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    in S 42 T 64 F 66
    out S 60 T 69 F 78
    2017 -32
    • InterestedParty2018
    • By InterestedParty2018 9th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    InterestedParty2018
    OP's closing question:
    ".......Anything I can do? report her? will that even do anything to make her come to sense?...."

My answer:
    Yes, move. To who and why? Unlikely.

Many have asked you to clarify your tenancy so that they can offer advice from a legal perspective. Until you do this, you are (IMO) looking for a sympathetic ear. (Which is fine if you just want to vent, but not fine if you are looking for advice.)

Can I ask:

The cleaners: What are they cleaning? windows? common parts? Surely there must be some sort of routine from them. Have a chat to them, are they contracted to come weekly, monthly? There may be variations, but broadly you will know when to expect them.

Tradesman: I am assuming the tradesman are attending to a repair which you (or one of your housemates) have reported? So whilst inconvenient to not know exactly when they will be attending, you will be some what expecting them?

If it has "been years" as you say in your OP, then maybe it is time to find an alternative place to call home.
    • JessyRM
    • By JessyRM 9th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    JessyRM
    I just wanted to point out it's not harassment, the workmen are just trying to do their job not intentionally causing you any harm.

If your concerned about safety ask to see their ID when they come to the property or call your landlord when they arrive to check she has scheduled the work? someone must be letting them in?
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    One for and one against ...

I pay for my window cleaner as a tenant

My window cleaner lets me know the day before he comes.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    • 19,667 Posts
    • 18,230 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I pay for my window cleaner as a tenant
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    As a tenant of what? A whole house, a whole flat, a room in a shared property?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 9,295 Posts
    • 9,908 Thanks
    davidmcn
    My window cleaner lets me know the day before he comes.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    When I had a window cleaner he didn't give any notice - first I knew was often the ladder appearing at the window.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

540Posts Today

4,687Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin