Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 7th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 110Posts
    • 24Thanks
    surfer9
    God Awful Landlady
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    God Awful Landlady 7th Jul 18 at 2:04 PM
    Hi,

I live in a house share in London. Our landlady does not understand that she needs to give us notice, we have told her god knows how many times..... informing her that it was illegal for her, any workmen, or cleaners to just enter the house.....

And as I work from home, I am usually in the house. During the past 2 weeks I have had builders in and out the house, cleaners, I have had to let ppl in the house that I didn't even know were coming round. For all I know they could be dodgy criminals.

Not sure what to do now. She is acting like a child. I and fellow housemates have advised her so many times to give notice and she STILL doesn't, after years.

Anything I can do? report her? will that even do anything to make her come to sense?
    Last edited by surfer9; 07-07-2018 at 8:16 PM.
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 7th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 9,737 Posts
    • 13,157 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    If you have individual tenancies (Mr A Tenant, room 3,,,) then here coming round for the "common parts" (kitchen, bathroom, stairs..) does not need notice, although it would be polite to give it.

Write her a calm polite letter, keep copy, noting your concerns. But frankly, given you are so unhappy, why haven't you left already?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 7th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    • 12,937 Posts
    • 18,598 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    Hi,

I live in a house share. Our landlady does not understand that she needs to give us notice, we have told her god knows how many times.....so many times that I had to have a stern phone conversation about it with her, informing her that it was illegal for her, any workmen, or cleaners to just enter the house.....

She has now decided to inform everyone in the house when someone is coming round, but me...

And as I work from home, I am usually in the house. During the past 2 weeks I have had builders in and out the house, cleaners, and one day window cleaners appeared at my bedroom window. All with no pre-warning from the landlady. This is ridiculous.

I'm sure she wouldn't like it if some window cleaners appeared at her bedroom window. She is taking the !!!!.

Not sure what to do now. She is acting like a child. I and fellow housemates have advised her so many times to give notice and she STILL doesn't, after years.

Anything I can do? report her? will that even do anything to make her come to sense?

The another annoying thing about her is she lies and is over dramatic, she is a drama queen, and makes a big deal out of any minor thing she is displeased with, yet she thinks it's ok to just walk into our house or send workmen round unannounced.
    Originally posted by surfer9
    Is this a house share where you each have your own separate tenancy agreement and rent a room or is there one joint tenancy agreement where all of you rent the whole property?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 7th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 17,129 Posts
    • 43,199 Thanks
    elsien
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    I regularly have my window cleaner turn up at my bedroom window without notice.
    Nothing to do with carry on films and everything to do with him turning up at monthlyish intervals on different days/times depending on the weather.
    Coming into the house without warning is one thing but getting worked up about a window cleaner when your LL probably had no idea when they'd turn up is a bit of an overreaction.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 7th Jul 18, 2:52 PM
    • 5,875 Posts
    • 5,600 Thanks
    anselld
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:52 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:52 PM
    Sounds like a decent pro-active Landlady.
    My window cleaner doesn't give me any notice as an owner occupier.
    As others have stated, L has access to communal areas in a house-share unless it is a joint tenancy.

Not sure who is the drama queen here.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 7th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 17,129 Posts
    • 43,199 Thanks
    elsien
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    Just to add you were complaining about your landlady back in January because she wasn't doing anything. Now she's getting things done you're still complaining.
    If she's so awful can't you look elsewhere?
    Last edited by elsien; 07-07-2018 at 2:56 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 7th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    Privacy is ignored in HMOs in my experience. You don't realistically have any leverage. Best to just walk if you find it unacceptable.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    • 45,329 Posts
    • 54,342 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    As others have said, the legal position (and your rights) depend on your status:

* England/Scotland
    * tenant / lodger
    * joint/several AST or HMO with individual ASTs
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 7th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    Who gets advance notice from window cleaners?! Everywhere I have lived they just turn up as and when.
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 7th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    surfer9
    Just to add you were complaining about your landlady back in January because she wasn't doing anything. Now she's getting things done you're still complaining.
    If she's so awful can't you look elsewhere?
    Originally posted by elsien
    Thanks for twisting what I said. I never complained that she is fixing things, I am complaining that she is letting everyone in the house know about when builders/her/window cleaners are coming round, apart from me. There is no respect, no courtesy.....

Are you telling me that if anyone comes to our house, knocks on the door claiming they are here to do work, and I have no idea if they are legit or not, because I have had no notice they are coming round.....I have to let them in? You can't be serious.?!!?

You have got to be joking!
    Last edited by surfer9; 07-07-2018 at 8:13 PM.
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 7th Jul 18, 7:46 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    surfer9
    When you sign an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement, the landlord agrees to surrender the possession of the property to you for the agreed fixed term. Along with the possession, the tenant also automatically gains the right of quiet enjoyment.

Quiet enjoyment refers to the natural right to live peacefully and undisturbed in your home. This include how people access your home and what they do in direct conjunction of your home.

People who enter you home without permission by either you or the court, are trespassing and commit to a criminal offence.

Source: https://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/landlord-access/#tenants_have_a_right_to_quiet_enjoyment_of_the_pr operty
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 7th Jul 18, 7:50 PM
    • 12,937 Posts
    • 18,598 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Which is if you have then? A tenancy agreement solely in your name for a room or a joint tenancy with the other occupants for the whole property? 5 says it's the former.
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 7th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    surfer9
    Sounds like a decent pro-active Landlady.
    My window cleaner doesn't give me any notice as an owner occupier.
    As others have stated, L has access to communal areas in a house-share unless it is a joint tenancy.

Not sure who is the drama queen here.
    Originally posted by anselld
    Nonsense.

Letting the Property as a House Share - One Agreement

-The Tenants as a collective have exclusive control over the whole of the property and are within their rights to exclude the Landlord from the premises.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 7th Jul 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 3,735 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Nonsense.

-The Tenants as a collective have exclusive control over the whole of the property and are within their rights to exclude the Landlord from the premises.

Copied from here?

https://www.pims.co.uk/letting-rooms-shared-house-hmo-rules/

It would help if you could clarify what sort of agreement you have (both types are listed on that link).
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • elsien
    • By elsien 7th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 17,129 Posts
    • 43,199 Thanks
    elsien
    Your words, not mine.

Yeah, I expected so. Just I read something that seemed to say the tenant needed to be.

Just our landlord tries to avoid doing anything. I think our landlord is expecting us to be here while they just sit at home with their feet up, even though it's their house to manage.

I'm not sure I will bother informing the landlord it is their duty. It is their problem.

No doubt the landlord will have a go at us for not arranging it and overseeing it, neglecting the fact it is their job to do so. Seeing as everything in this house is blamed on us and for us to manage, like fixing the internet because one one side of the house it didn't work - the landlord expected that tenant to sort it out himself. As well as her being our cleaner, but expecting the house to be clean for her before she comes around. As well as complaining she has to stay here for an extra few minutes more than an hour sometimes to clean, yet some weeks she doesn't even turn up.

• G_M
    • By G_M 7th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 45,329 Posts
    • 54,342 Thanks
    G_M
    When you sign an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement, the landlord agrees to surrender the possession of the property to you for the agreed fixed term. Along with the possession, the tenant also automatically gains the right of quiet enjoyment.

Quiet enjoyment refers to the natural right to live peacefully and undisturbed in your home. This include how people access your home and what they do in direct conjunction of your home.

People who enter you home without permission by either you or the court, are trespassing and commit to a criminal offence.

Source: https://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/landlord-access/#tenants_have_a_right_to_quiet_enjoyment_of_the_pr operty
    Oh dear. One more half-baked understanding of 'Quiet Enjoyment'.
    What a load of mis-information!

* definately not trespass
    * even if it were trespass, trespass is not a criminal offence
    * and breach of 'Quiet Enjoyment' is also not a criminal offence.

The right to Quiet Enjoyment is not unlimited. There are numerous other rights involved, some conflicting, and the question os which of these takes precedence in any specific given scenario is legally complex.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 7th Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    • 5,076 Posts
    • 11,547 Thanks
    Money maker
    Who gets advance notice from window cleaners?! Everywhere I have lived they just turn up as and when.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I do. He texts me the day before.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Jul 18, 12:54 AM
    • 3,651 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    takman
    Thanks for twisting what I said. I never complained that she is fixing things, I am complaining that she is letting everyone in the house know about when builders/her/window cleaners are coming round, apart from me. There is no respect, no courtesy.....

Are you telling me that if anyone comes to our house, knocks on the door claiming they are here to do work, and I have no idea if they are legit or not, because I have had no notice they are coming round.....I have to let them in? You can't be serious.?!!?

You have got to be joking!
    If your letting the entire house as one agreement then technically she only has to tell one of you who is visiting them they should tell everyone else. If it was a family renting the house the landlord wouldn't tell every member of the family individually when work was being carried out, they would tell one of them.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 8th Jul 18, 7:38 AM
    • 16,952 Posts
    • 41,829 Thanks
    FBaby
    Are you sure she is not giving notice to one of the other person living there?

There is a difference between a window cleaner who is paid to come once a month (and so comes whenever suits them) and someone coming to do work inside the house.

Was the repairs inside something you've reported? What is your LL response when you ask for notice? Does she say that she doesn't have to give any? That she gave it to another tenant? That she didn't know?

Tradesmen will often do smaller work that isn't very much cost effective to them when they get a couple of hours there and then or get a last minute cancellation. I arrange with a builder to do some work, they agreed, but wouldn't commit to any date. I had to chase over and over, and finally I got a text message at 7:30 in the morning saying they would like to go there at 9am! I missed the text as I was off that day and so they just showed up there. Thankfully, the tenant was grateful that the work was going to be done. I did apology for the lack of notice and explained the situation.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th Jul 18, 7:52 AM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 6,658 Thanks
    00ec25
    Nonsense.

that does not answer post #8 which is what is needed in order to be able to advise you correctly,

also take account of post #16 as well before you start quoting further pages at random
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,835Posts Today

7,085Users online

Martin's Twitter