Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Helent42
    • By Helent42 7th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Helent42
    Help - Missed POPLA appeal deadline
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    Help - Missed POPLA appeal deadline 7th Jul 18 at 12:58 PM
    Please help, I've been snowed under with work and didn't realise I only had 28 days to appeal to POPLA. It's five weeks since I got my appeal rejected from the parking company. I know I've dropped the ball on this but can anyone tell me what I can do about it? I'll email POPLA to explain but any advice would be gratefully received please.

Thanks in advance - this forum is great; just wish I'd had more time to get the most out of it :-(

Helen

PS: I tried to find an answer elsewhere on the thread but couldn't find one.
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,928 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    Which parking company? What was the date on their rejection letter?
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 7th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 9,091 Posts
    • 9,483 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    You just follow the advice in the Newbies Sticky - Debt collectors stage next, then sit tight to see if they start a court claim.

Meanwhile, use the time wisely, so you are ready to rebut any LBC and prepare a defence if that happens.

About the only other thing you could do is to go-for a landowner cancellation but that is best done early-on, not at this stage.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 63,875 Posts
    • 76,527 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    POPLA codes last 32 days.

There is NO POINT emailing POPLA if you missed that.

Which PPC, and what did you find about how litigious they are, when you looked them up using the link in the second post of the NEWBIES thread to the BMPA / PADI info about every PPC?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Jul 18, 7:45 PM
    • 10,569 Posts
    • 10,408 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:45 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:45 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Helent42
    • By Helent42 8th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helent42
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    Thanks so much for the helpful advice, I sincerely appreciate it. The firm are Care Parking. I'll go back into the thread and check thanks. I appealed on behalf of an elderly friend who had a disabled elderly passenger and only went 20 minutes over the maximum allowed stay (after making purchases at The Range). They assured me they didn't see a sign and (like me) would never have expected that the time taken would include driving into the car park.

I feel terrible now that I could have messed it up for her but got a deluge of work the same week the appeal was rejected and have only just come up for air. I'm really not sure what to do now as I don't want her being worried by threatening letters but I'll go back to the thread. Thanks for all taking the time to respond, it means a lot thank you.
    Last edited by Helent42; 17-07-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    • Helent42
    • By Helent42 8th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helent42
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    Meant to add, sorry, this was rejected by email in the first week of June.
    Last edited by Helent42; 09-07-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Sensitive information removed
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 8th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 37,748 Posts
    • 84,768 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    Complain to the store manager, showing copies of receipts or redacted bank/card statements.

Complain to your friend's MP about this unregulated scam. Point out that your friend has been denied access to PoPLA which should be available for not less than one year according to the Alternative Dispute Regulations Act 2015.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 63,875 Posts
    • 76,527 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    Meant to add, sorry, the date of the rejection was 04/06 - sent by email.
    Originally posted by Helent42
    Did you actually try the POPLA code before you posted here? It would still have worked on day 33 before midnight...don't think it will today, not sure over a weekend?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Helent42
    • By Helent42 9th Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helent42
    I tried but the code wasn't recognised so must have expired. It's frustrating (I hold my hands up for not sending the POPLA appeal in time) and I'm really worried that this lovely pensioner might get a threatening knock on the door. That was why I tried to help in the first place and feel like I've messed it up now :-(

I'll try the store manager again and help her write to her MP with that brilliant point over the Alternative Dispute Regulations Act 2015. Thank you all so much for your kind suggestions and support - they really mean a lot to me.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Jul 18, 3:33 PM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,928 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I'm really worried that this lovely pensioner might get a threatening knock on the door.
    'Knock on the door'? Who from?
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Helent42
    • By Helent42 9th Jul 18, 4:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helent42
    Thanks Umkomaas,

In their response to the appeal, they concluded with:

...we will seek to recover the monies owed to us via our debt recovery procedures and may proceed with court action against you.

That's got her worried about debt collectors knocking on the door. These firms are scandalous; I'm grateful there are so many good people on here to combat their unscrupulous shake-downs.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Jul 18, 4:18 PM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,928 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Have a read here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5849106
    • Helent42
    • By Helent42 9th Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helent42
    Thanks Umkomaas, that's really reassuring.

I know it's no defence for missing the POPLA appeal-by date but the firm hardly made the 28-day limit prominent in their letter (halfway down the last page, in plain font). Their 'number of options' after dismissing the appeal were simply: pay, POPLA or do nothing and we'll come after you. (They interestingly stated that they are aware of the Ombudsman Service but won't participate in it.)

Again, thank you all so much. It's really appreciated.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Jul 18, 5:43 PM
    • 37,748 Posts
    • 84,768 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Anyone who thinks debt collectors will come knocking on their door is watching too much day time TV.

It's not your fault the scammers, BPA, and PoPLA only allow 28 days for an appeal when the UK Government says it should be available for not less than a year.

Complaints to MP are essential, explain this is a vulnerable person being harassed, and being denied access to an independent appeal.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Helent42
    • By Helent42 10th Jul 18, 2:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helent42
    Thanks Fruitcake.
    • Helent42
    • By Helent42 17th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helent42
    I've been back in touch with the store and managed to get them to cancel it. I would recommend that anyone in a similar situation complain to the top management, especially if only a small transgression beyond the (allegedly) displayed time. Thank you all so much again for your kind advice and support; it meant a lot at a worrying time and I wish you all well with your own situations.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 17th Jul 18, 9:10 PM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,928 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Nice result, proving that the retailer (or whoever might be the landowner) complaint as the parallel option to following the appeals procedure can produce a super outcome.

Well done on adding further confirmation of the efficacy of this approach.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 17th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 19,886 Posts
    • 25,184 Thanks
    Redx
    a landowner , or retailer , or M.A. complaint is ALWAYS the best solution to these problems , so well done

the appeal and popla appeal are in addition to complaining vehemently to the people who can get them cancelled at source
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 18th Jul 18, 11:05 AM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 2,303 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I've been back in touch with the store and managed to get them to cancel it.
    Originally posted by Helent42
    Good one! Make sure you have it in writing and look out for any further communications from the PPC just in case they missed the missive from the store.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

247Posts Today

2,817Users online

Martin's Twitter