Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flame
    • By Flame 7th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Flame
    0 WOW
    Rentalcars.com
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Rentalcars.com 7th Jul 18 at 10:59 AM
    I would appreciate some advice.

We recently booked car hire via rentalcars.com and were due to collect the car from Thrifty at JFK airport.

My husband made the booking and was our principle driver. However, when we arrived he was told that his old-style paper UK driving licence was not acceptable, although they were happy to rent to me and also my son who both have plastic licences. Neither of us was willing to drive in New York so that wasn't an option.

We phoned Rentalcars who spoke with the manager, but she was adamant. We asked Rentalcars if they could arrange car hire with another firm but they said it would take at least two hours. Since we had a 3-4 hour drive ahead of us, this also wasn't an option.

We were therefore obliged to rent from another firm, who did what they could on the rental price, but the insurance (usually included when you rent from the UK) was extra and made the rental £650 more.

We contacted Rentalcars to explain the situation, and they in turn (quite rightly) tried to get compensation from Thrifty. However, Thrifty have declined to compensate.

This has been escalated with Rentalcars and we are waiting to see if they will compensate us.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we stand legally? Rentalcars cancelled the initial contract and refunded the money. Is that the end of their obligation?

Intermediaries like Rentalcars, Hotels.com, Booking.com are becoming more popular now. If there is no legal obligation to provide you with what you have paid for, that has serious implications.

I should point out that Thrifty refused to deal with us direct as we had no contract with them - and the rental firm next door had no problem with my husband's paper licence. Also, we had rented a car from Thrifty (Seattle) quite recently with no problem at all for the paper licence.

Judi
Page 1
    • loskie
    • By loskie 7th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    loskie
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    the change and affect on car hire was well publicised
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes
    • Flame
    • By Flame 7th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flame
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    Our problem was that Thrifty were looking in a book titled "forms of identity" which said the paper licence wasn't acceptable (of course not, there's no photograph, but we had passports for ID). They interpreted that as the paper licence wasn't valid in the US which is completely wrong.
    • photome
    • By photome 7th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,994 Thanks
    photome
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    I have rented many times in the USA since 2015 with just a paper license...not with thrifty.

Try a chargeback on your credit card.

My guess is that it doesn!!!8217;t say anywhere on rentalcars website that only a photo style license will be accepted
    • photome
    • By photome 7th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,994 Thanks
    photome
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    the change and affect on car hire was well publicised
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes
    Originally posted by loskie
    That link tells me my paper license is still valid
    • Flame
    • By Flame 7th Jul 18, 11:49 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flame
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:49 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:49 AM
    I appreciate the reassurance that my husband isn't the only person still driving on a paper licence.

I don't think I can try a chargeback on our credit card because Rentalcars refunded the original purchase, and the firm we eventually rented from (Budget) did nothing wrong.

We have booked another trip to the US (Virginia this time) and again have used an intermediary company to book our hire car. I'm a bit nervous about it!
    • photome
    • By photome 7th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,994 Thanks
    photome
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    I appreciate the reassurance that my husband isn't the only person still driving on a paper licence.

I don't think I can try a chargeback on our credit card because Rentalcars refunded the original purchase, and the firm we eventually rented from (Budget) did nothing wrong.

We have booked another trip to the US (Virginia this time) and again have used an intermediary company to book our hire car. I'm a bit nervous about it!
    Originally posted by Flame
    Sorry I was reading as you hadnít been refunded by rentalcars. Didnít know where you go next, I suspect rentalcars have fulfilled their obligation to refund
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 7th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 14,644 Thanks
    worried jim

Logic says get a new DL and live an easier life!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 7th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    Same thing happened to me at Dubai airport last year. Fully booked through Budget using Autoeurope. Imo Budget had misunderstood the change in rules from 2015 and thought my paper licence was a counterpart licence to the photo card which I don't have. Cut a long story short I went to Hertz and rented a car no problem. Made all the calls to Autoeurope similar to you, they eventually refunded me but no apology made. Considering the t&cs state a valid licence is required with photo I'd, I thought I would be fine.

I appreciate it is a very stressful time when put on the spot like that, you don't need all the inconvenience especially after a long flight.

I think some rental companies are misunderstanding the change in rules from a few years ago. I have used my paper licence both before and after my Dubai experience without any issues. For future trips I would just contact the rental company and check the paper licence is adequate for rental.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 7th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    stevie11
    Logic says get a new DL and live an easier life!
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Yes logic says that but until I have to legally I will just pre check with the rental agent.

Saying that your comment doesn't help those that in good faith rent a car but are misfortunate due to the poor understanding of the rules by the rental agent.
    • Flame
    • By Flame 7th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flame
    My understanding is that you cannot renew your paper licence unless you have changed your name, your address, or your licence is about to expire.
    • photome
    • By photome 7th Jul 18, 1:46 PM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,994 Thanks
    photome
    My understanding is that you cannot renew your paper licence unless you have changed your name, your address, or your licence is about to expire.
    You can change it to a photo card at anytime for a £20 free.

Thatswhy I havent changed mine as once you do change you have to pay the fee every 10 years to keep photo up to date
    Last edited by photome; 07-07-2018 at 2:44 PM.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 7th Jul 18, 1:56 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    stevie11

Thatís why I have I changed mine as once you do change you have to pay the fee every 10 years to keep photo up to date
    Originally posted by photome
    That is why I haven't changed mine yet. Maybe I am just a skinflint
    • photome
    • By photome 7th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,994 Thanks
    photome
    That is why I haven't changed mine yet. Maybe I am just a skinflint
    Originally posted by stevie11
    Me too

That should apply to most on here though
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 7th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I would appreciate some advice.

We recently booked car hire via rentalcars.com and were due to collect the car from Thrifty at JFK airport.

My husband made the booking and was our principle driver. However, when we arrived he was told that his old-style paper UK driving licence was not acceptable, although they were happy to rent to me and also my son who both have plastic licences. Neither of us was willing to drive in New York so that wasn't an option.

We phoned Rentalcars who spoke with the manager, but she was adamant. We asked Rentalcars if they could arrange car hire with another firm but they said it would take at least two hours. Since we had a 3-4 hour drive ahead of us, this also wasn't an option.

We were therefore obliged to rent from another firm, who did what they could on the rental price, but the insurance (usually included when you rent from the UK) was extra and made the rental £650 more.

We contacted Rentalcars to explain the situation, and they in turn (quite rightly) tried to get compensation from Thrifty. However, Thrifty have declined to compensate.

This has been escalated with Rentalcars and we are waiting to see if they will compensate us.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we stand legally? Rentalcars cancelled the initial contract and refunded the money. Is that the end of their obligation?

Intermediaries like Rentalcars, Hotels.com, Booking.com are becoming more popular now. If there is no legal obligation to provide you with what you have paid for, that has serious implications.

I should point out that Thrifty refused to deal with us direct as we had no contract with them - and the rental firm next door had no problem with my husband's paper licence. Also, we had rented a car from Thrifty (Seattle) quite recently with no problem at all for the paper licence.

Judi
    Paying the £650 for insurance extras was your mistake.
    Not your fault, as you didn't know that you could have purchased standalone cover before you finalised your car hire rental contract.

There are perhaps only three companies that supply policies with CDW, CDW Excess and SLI all rolled into one. Which is what you need if you are renting in the USA/Caribbean without any cover;
    https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection
    https://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa-canada-car-hire-excess-insurance
    https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk

So you could have obtained an annual policy that would have fully insured you for that trip and any others within a year, for as little as £85.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 7th Jul 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    slinga

Thatswhy I havent changed mine as once you do change you have to pay the fee every 10 years to keep photo up to date

I just changed mine as coming up to 70.

Didn't cost anything and doing it online the replacement photo licence arrived in 4 days.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • photome
    • By photome 7th Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,994 Thanks
    photome
    I just changed mine as coming up to 70.

Didn't cost anything and doing it online the replacement photo licence arrived in 4 days.
    Originally posted by slinga
    Why did it not cost you anything
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Jul 18, 7:32 AM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 14,644 Thanks
    worried jim
    Yes logic says that but until I have to legally I will just pre check with the rental agent.

Saying that your comment doesn't help those that in good faith rent a car but are misfortunate due to the poor understanding of the rules by the rental agent.
    Originally posted by stevie11
    The mind boggles! You can lead a horse to water.......
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 8th Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,899 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    bagand96
    The mind boggles! You can lead a horse to water
    I did think the same. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of foreign car hire agents mis-understanding the validity of the of UK licenses....

If itís known to be a potential issue then who wants the problem at the start of their holiday? The cost of a photocard license is tiny compared to what youíre spending on a holiday.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 8th Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    slinga
    Why did it not cost you anything
    Dunno, but it was free.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,160Posts Today

7,751Users online

Martin's Twitter