Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Matjod
    • By Matjod 7th Jul 18, 9:48 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Matjod
    2nd hand car bought with serious oil leak!!!
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:48 AM
    2nd hand car bought with serious oil leak!!! 7th Jul 18 at 9:48 AM
    Please help!! Bought a 2nd hand car in early may from what I thought was a trusting dealer! , checked it all over looked good condition for year the dealer had picked it few weeks before from Wales ( bought from Stockport) had receipts for a new clutch that had been fitted by the previous owner back in November. Bought with a 6 month R.a.c warranty gold plan, Anyway 6-7 weeks later I took the car to a garage as changing gear was a little stiff sometimes and found to my horror that there was a serious leak coming from gearbox/clutch area and there was no oil in the gearbox! The mechanic informed me that the clutch that had been fitted had not been done properly and oil was leaking into clutch and out through the gearbox bell housing area. Unfortunately there is a cover under the engine area so the leak was never spotted. The mechanic also told me that i was unlikely to get it repaired on the warranty as it was a problem already there and nothing actually broke yet ! He refilled the oil to a cost of 60 pounds and told I may need new clutch and gearbox !!. I spoke to the disgruntled car dealer and eventually agreed I would take the car back to him and he would try and get it fixed on the warranty, I was supposed to be taking it back on Thursday 5th July but he cancelled and after trying to ring him yesterday (6th July) I got a message of him saying due to unforeseen circumstances he was unavailable until the 18th nearly 2 weeks later,my worry is it's still leaking and the gearbox is getting worse, have I got any rights or do I have to wait for the dealer to sort it out? I get the impression he's stalling now and can't afford the huge bill it will be to repair the problem ! Would appreciate any advice on this matter thanks mat.
Page 1
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 7th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 5,419 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    What car is it? Year? Cost? Is it on finance?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • Matjod
    • By Matjod 7th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Matjod
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    It's a Ford Focus 2008 1.8tdci payed cash 2600
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 17,851 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    It's a Ford Focus 2008 1.8tdci payed cash 2600
    Originally posted by Matjod
    Bit of a tough one.

I would say he is either trying to put some "air" between you buying the car and him putting a warranty claim in for a fault OR giving you the runaround.

The warranty company would decline it within the first few weeks as it would be deemed present at the time of sale and therefore the sellers problem.

Given the dealer themselves arent going to be getting their hands dirty you could reply asking him who his mechanic is and can he get it booked in when he is away.

If he starts to really mess you about your fallback option is to have your mechanic do the work and then pursue the seller - probably through the small claims court process - for the money.

Difficult situation to be in and no easy answer.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 7th Jul 18, 12:34 PM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 5,419 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:34 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:34 PM
    If the car has had a new clutch recently, then it may be worth your while getting a garage to check the clutch plate hasn't got saturated in oil, and if it's ok buy a secondhand gearbox and get that fitted. That might be a cost effective way of getting the car into a reasonable condition.

The dealer sounds as though he is trying to dodge you, and it may be necessary to speak to Trading Standards and get them on to the case.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,330Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin