Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 7,823Posts
    • 4,484Thanks
    buglawton
    Technology that you avoid
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    Technology that you avoid 7th Jul 18 at 9:23 AM
    I have a list of things Ive so far intuitively dodged. The list might shorten 10 years after the manufacturers show they truly understand the issues.

My list

Smart meters
    Keyless cars
    Smart home control
    Smart TVs (streaming boxes are fine)
    Phones without earphone socket
    Solar panels

Anyone else got a list?
Page 4
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 8th Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I think the verb 'avoid' is a bit too active for my views. Does it fill a real need is nearer the mark, so household automation, to take one example, is just something I have no neeed for.

In a previous job I was a fairly bad systems/business analyst, and there was the odd minor implementation where I felt like writing in the management summary that the end results could be more cheaply achieved with some pencils and a few pads of paper. That's an exaggeration obviously, but you get the idea.

I've never owned a colour TV, more through inertia than avoidance. My B&W one gave up the ghost and not being awash with money back when interest rates on my mortgage were 15% I didn't immediately get another and then found I had no major desire for one.The internet came along, US Robotics modems gradually got faster , and there were more interesting things to do than watch TV.

Apps can be useful but I keep numbers down and was very reluctant to get a few of them after reading some terms and conditions, but maps, weather, tide times, train times and the like are all incredibly useful. Finance I do online via a desktop, again as I have no need for mobile banking.

I'm surprised a few have mentioned solar panels: mine have taken away any concern for fuel bills and have been very effective.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 8th Jul 18, 5:02 PM
    • 7,823 Posts
    • 4,484 Thanks
    buglawton
    That reminds me of another one: electric seats in cars. All that extra weight and complexity will not be used by many owners. That said, for some people it might be of value.

And another thing: the drive towards cordless everything, like hoovers, lawn-mowers, shavers, clippers, door-bells, irons, etc.

Not the robot vacuum cleaners as they are genuinely useful, but everyday vacuums having a cord works fine in most instances.

Shavers with a cord are fine in most instances, but it's now near-impossible to buy one that isn't rechargeable.

Batteries are rubbish as their capacity starts to decline from day one. Also they are very much not environmentally friendly. Of course, the manufacturers are promoting them though because by including batteries, they are building-in life-limiting technology, at extra cost, and marketing it to us as must-have functionality.
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Funny you should mention cordless tools. I'm a bit hooked on them now, so Dyson cordless vac, Bosch cordless mower, hedge clipper and drill. the lack of a cable really liberates the usage. I Always select brands/models where spare parts look well supported and where a tool/battery common family exists, for interchangeability.
    • anewhope
    • By anewhope 8th Jul 18, 6:44 PM
    • 4,340 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    anewhope
    That reminds me of another one: electric seats in cars. All that extra weight and complexity will not be used by many owners. That said, for some people it might be of value.
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Very handy if you share a car with somebody and can store your own presets. Also, I find it easier to get a comfortable position as the electric controls are usually much more precise. YMMV (no pun intended).
    • prowla
    • By prowla 8th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 8,329 Thanks
    prowla
    I don't like tech that talks to me, except a sat-nav.
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Jul 18, 9:24 PM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    J B
    Anyone else got a list?
    Originally posted by buglawton

You beat me to it on this one ...

I avoid anything with an apple on it
    Originally posted by michaels

Also, anything voice controlled
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,292Posts Today

7,864Users online

Martin's Twitter