Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 7,639Posts
    • 4,264Thanks
    buglawton
    Technology that you avoid
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    Technology that you avoid 7th Jul 18 at 9:23 AM
    I have a list of things Ive so far intuitively dodged. The list might shorten 10 years after the manufacturers show they truly understand the issues.

My list

Smart meters
    Keyless cars
    Smart home control
    Smart TVs (streaming boxes are fine)
    Phones without earphone socket
    Solar panels

Anyone else got a list?
Page 3
    • michaels
    • By michaels 8th Jul 18, 12:25 AM
    • 21,246 Posts
    • 98,381 Thanks
    michaels
    I avoid anything with an apple on it - pay double for the same tech so you can be locked into a walled garden and overcharged for everything else - no thank you.

Having a zillion pointless apps that just reproduce website functionality with a bespoke interface. Phones can do the internet in a browser, why waste the effort building a second interface as an app. On the www does every website insist that you download and install a program before you can browse the content? So why the insistence we do this on our phone - I guess the answer is more walled gardens; on the www you might well check the price of the book you are buying whereas once you are invested by installing the Amazon app you won't bother.....
    Cool heads and compromise
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    I avoid anything with an apple on it - pay double for the same tech so you can be locked into a walled garden and overcharged for everything else - no thank you.

Having a zillion pointless apps that just reproduce website functionality with a bespoke interface. Phones can do the internet in a browser, why waste the effort building a second interface as an app. On the www does every website insist that you download and install a program before you can browse the content? So why the insistence we do this on our phone - I guess the answer is more walled gardens; on the www you might well check the price of the book you are buying whereas once you are invested by installing the Amazon app you won't bother.....
    Originally posted by michaels
    I think you best stay away from any smart phones as you have no clue how to use one properly if thats what you think apps solely do.

Oh and by the way if you do own a smart phone dont download any app just use your magical browser on your phone.
    Last edited by john22; 08-07-2018 at 8:12 AM.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 8th Jul 18, 12:50 AM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    What for though, just gaming? It's a classic example really: in the 1990s you saw people wearing VR headsets waving their arms around on TV and we were told it was the future. Fast-forward 20 years and exactly the same views of people wearing VR headsets waving their arms around. In 20 years they hadn't found a use for it. (And they make you barf.)
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    20 years ago the technology simply wasn't good enough for VR to work hence it failed but the current VR is completely different to what it was before as the headsets have accurate and low latency tracking combined with high resolution, high framerate displays. The end result is headsets that are responsive enough to avoid making people motion sickness and make it feel incredibly immersive.

The motion tracked controllers are also nothing like the old Wiimotes and instead precisely and quickly track the controllers which again adds to the immersion.

I was sceptical of the technology until I tried out an Occulus Rift and was just amazed at how well it worked. I promptly ordered a Vive system and never came across anyone who's tried the unit and not been blown away by it. Gaming is just one aspect of it as there's a lot of benefit for experiences, the likes of google maps and communication. There's a mountaintop experience where you can walk around at the top and I've had people pin themselves against the wall as they're worried they're going to fall.

It's possible to share your monitor screen with a group of others and sit beside them, talk to them (the headset has a mic and headphones) and see where they're looking and gesturing.

If you get the chance to try a VR setup I'd highly recommend it as it's one of the most impressive pieces of technology I've come across in a long time because it's just so different to anything else out there.

John
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 8th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 4,775 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    .. The end result is headsets that are responsive enough to avoid making people motion sickness and make it feel incredibly immersive...
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7

My husband has a Vive and really enjoys it - it does feel incredibly immersive...unfortunately, it gives me motion sickness even after just a minute of using it
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Jul 18, 10:45 AM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    boliston
    I think you best stay away from any smart phones as you have no clue how to use one properly if thats what you think apps solely do.

Oh and by the way if you do own a smart phone dont download any app just use your magical browser on your phone.
    Originally posted by john22
    I'm not really a great fan of 'apps' on a smartphone as most of them are really just 'dumbed down' versions of their website - i prefer to just use chrome and make sure i tick the 'use desktop version' for websites as mobile websites are as bad as using the app quite often
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 8th Jul 18, 11:04 AM
    • 10,354 Posts
    • 7,756 Thanks
    GunJack

In response to a very good post, you chose to post this tripe?? I don't use apps for anything I can do in a browser either - less data collection going on (if you use the right browser) and less need for gazillions of storage space on the device.

michaels points were accurate and relevant....if you've been so brainwashed that you have to "app" everything, you're just feeding the data-consuming trolls more than you should...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 8th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 5,868 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    john22. why do you have to bite every time the word 'apple' is mentioned?

i like to keep my phone as lite as possible when it comes to apps and always look for any benefits over using a browser before installing any app. ebay for me is a good example as i prefer the desktop version over the app to search & navigate. there are a lot of others.
    Last edited by dipsomaniac; 08-07-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    I'm not really a great fan of 'apps' on a smartphone as most of them are really just 'dumbed down' versions of their website - i prefer to just use chrome and make sure i tick the 'use desktop version' for websites as mobile websites are as bad as using the app quite often
    Originally posted by boliston
    Apps that just mirror what the website does is lazy app design.

Iíd rather use the bbc website on my iPad. but then use the bbc app on my phone because of the smaller screen size and to be able to use one handed when on the move.

I do banking on my iPhone and i would rather do it through the banking app than the website on the phone. First off I do not need to log in using any of my passwords I just launch the app and Iím into my account. Itís a lot faster navigating through the app to pay for things than doing it through the website.

I use the train to travel and using the app I can check the times of trains within two taps. You canít do that on the website

I edit images using photo editing apps which you canít do on a website.

I play certain game apps that you canít do on a website.

I use mapping apps to find places and give direction which you canít do on the website

I use Instagram app to upload images and look at images. You canít upload on the web and not as fast when browsing.

I have messaging apps which I canít use on a website.

I use a planning and to do list app that you canít do on a website.

I have an app to tell me what song is playing within one tap which you canít do on the website.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jul 18, 11:32 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    john22. why do you have to bite every time the word 'apple' is mentioned?

i like to keep my phone as lite as possible when it comes to apps and always look for any benefits over using a browser before installing any app. ebay for me is a good example as i prefer the desktop version over the app to search & navigate. there are a lot of others.
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Who mentioned Apple Iím talking about apps. Please show me in my comment where I mentioned Apple. You do know that apps are on android phones too?

Also I have already commented in this thread in earlier conversations which is about tech.

Of course why would you use an app that just mirrors what a website does or is in a fact a worst experience.

95% of my interaction on my phone is through apps. Apps are also software which in the old days of computing is that floppy disc or cd that you had to pop into the machine to get a certain program to run.

Overall apps are amazing.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 8th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 5,868 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    no one has said that ALL apps are pointless
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 8th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 5,868 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    Who mentioned Apple I!!!8217;m talking about apps. Please show me in my comment where I mentioned Apple.
    strangely enough it was a post just above yours & the one you quoted but that could have just been coincidense
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jul 18, 11:44 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    strangely enough it was a post just above yours & the one you quoted but that could have just been coincidense
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    I didnít mention Apple as it was irrelevant. Apps, websites and so called wall gardens that the person mentioned is across the board of other platforms and manufacturers.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jul 18, 11:47 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    In response to a very good post, you chose to post this tripe?? I don't use apps for anything I can do in a browser either - less data collection going on (if you use the right browser) and less need for gazillions of storage space on the device.

michaels points were accurate and relevant....if you've been so brainwashed that you have to "app" everything, you're just feeding the data-consuming trolls more than you should...
    Originally posted by GunJack

See post #48 & #49
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 8th Jul 18, 12:04 PM
    • 10,354 Posts
    • 7,756 Thanks
    GunJack
    Apps that just mirror what the website does is lazy app design.

Iíd rather use the bbc website on my iPad. but then use the bbc app on my phone because of the smaller screen size and to be able to use one handed when on the move.

I do banking on my iPhone and i would rather do it through the banking app than the website on the phone. First off I do not need to log in using any of my passwords I just launch the app and Iím into my account. Itís a lot faster navigating through the app to pay for things than doing it through the website. hmmm... security.....

I use the train to travel and using the app I can check the times of trains within two taps. You canít do that on the website err...yes you can

I edit images using photo editing apps which you canít do on a website.

I play certain game apps that you canít do on a website.

I use mapping apps to find places and give direction which you canít do on the website

I use Instagram app to upload images and look at images. You canít upload on the web and not as fast when browsing.

I have messaging apps which I canít use on a website.

I use a planning and to do list app that you canít do on a website.

I have an app to tell me what song is playing within one tap which you canít do on the website.
    Sounds like you're a data-eater's ideal consumer... do you have no sense of your own personal privacy??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I've managed to avoid the electric chair - so far.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    Sounds like you're a data-eater's ideal consumer... do you have no sense of your own personal privacy??
    Originally posted by GunJack
    There is no security issue with using the banking app like that as the banks have approved it.

I have no idea what you mean personal privacy but I will just run with it.

Ok so I'm giving up my personal privacy to my bank by using their banking app and what does that mean when I use their website for banking?

I use the lightroom app to edit my pictures but I'm giving up my personal privacy to them but when I use the lightroom software on my computer what I'm I doing there.

Erm I play games on my phone but thats giving up personal privacy just like any other gaming platform?

Giving up privacy using messaging apps just like back in the day of AOL chat, yahoo chat?

I use the BBC news app and putting myself more at risk because I'm not using the website?

Apps is applications that can bring the user value in pleasure, productivity and creativity. I have found apps that help me in all these categories which results in 95% of my time spent on my device to be app related.

Also please note these phone devices are computers in your hand and as such just as powerful as a so called pc. I look at all these devices as tools to help me in life. I don't buy them to sit and look at them and worry about my privacy. Like anything in life you way up the pros and cons before you make decisions,. Life has risk but I'd rather be positive in my outlook towards new tech and embrace it.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 8th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    RumRat
    Each individual will have some sort of thought about what personal privacy is, whatever that thought may be the traditional idea of privacy is long dead.
    If you have a smart phone, car, passport, bus pass, loyalty card etc then your 'Privacy' is already breached.
    We live in a country with a right wing Government that, if not opposed, would harvest more data than Google could hope to gain.
    Anyone with a Facebook account or similar, gives up their privacy quite happily, but, still complain about anonymised data they've heard is collected about their online habits.
    Using a banking app doesn't mean your personal finances are public knowledge, but, they are known still by your bank, as it ever was.
    Checking a rail app won't tell people anymore than the phone call to the station used to divulge.
    I doubt anyone really gives up their 'Privacy' to anyone, however, using the internet is not 'Private' in the traditional sense.
    Giving up this idea that everything you do is private, facilitates convenience in an increasingly online world.
    There are ways to ensure a more complete anonymity online, but, that is for individuals to decide whether they want to go to the trouble or are really not bothered that someone knows they were looking at cheap Begonias.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 17,295 Posts
    • 10,438 Thanks
    motorguy
    Robotic vacuum cleaners?

We've one that sets off at 03:00 in the morning and hoovers up our kitchen / snug area then makes his way back when his batteries are low and recharges himself. Handy when you've a Golden Retriever.

I'd have a robotic lawn mower but my FIL cuts ours so no need currently.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I've managed to avoid the electric chair - so far.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    That reminds me of another one: electric seats in cars. All that extra weight and complexity will not be used by many owners. That said, for some people it might be of value.

And another thing: the drive towards cordless everything, like hoovers, lawn-mowers, shavers, clippers, door-bells, irons, etc.

Not the robot vacuum cleaners as they are genuinely useful, but everyday vacuums having a cord works fine in most instances.

Shavers with a cord are fine in most instances, but it's now near-impossible to buy one that isn't rechargeable.

Batteries are rubbish as their capacity starts to decline from day one. Also they are very much not environmentally friendly. Of course, the manufacturers are promoting them though because by including batteries, they are building-in life-limiting technology, at extra cost, and marketing it to us as must-have functionality.
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 8th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    mrochester
    I tend to avoid products and services that display the letter 'G' on them. Surveillance capitalism needs to die.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,441Posts Today

7,754Users online

Martin's Twitter