Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 7,466Posts
    • 4,080Thanks
    buglawton
    Technology that you avoid
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    Technology that you avoid 7th Jul 18 at 9:23 AM
    I have a list of things Ive so far intuitively dodged. The list might shorten 10 years after the manufacturers show they truly understand the issues.

My list

Smart meters
    Keyless cars
    Smart home control
    Smart TVs (streaming boxes are fine)
    Phones without earphone socket
    Solar panels

Anyone else got a list?
Page 2
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 7th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    Smart meters annoy me because of their loss of functionality when you switch.

I don't want Alexa or her peers.

I rarely watch TV, so don't want a smart one, we have a dish and a humax box and I don't get any complaints about what it does and doesn't do.

I do have hive, heating control and while it's a bit gimmicky I like it.

I'm looking to add a live-streaming camera into the mix, I just can't make up my mind whether internal / external or doorbell.

I'm awaiting a new set of intelligent cycle lights which I bought on kickstarter.

I really like banking apps, with about 6 of them on my phone.

So I pick and mix. I buy something I want and see a use for, which isn't extortionate and which has shown it works.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    • 16,957 Posts
    • 10,090 Thanks
    motorguy
    What for though, just gaming? It's a classic example really: in the 1990s you saw people wearing VR headsets waving their arms around on TV and we were told it was the future. Fast-forward 20 years and exactly the same views of people wearing VR headsets waving their arms around. In 20 years they hadn't found a use for it. (And they make you barf.)
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    You could argue that about TVs - 20 years ago we were sitting around watching a screen and here we are 20 years later sitting watching a screen, so applying your logic nothing has changed?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 5,192 Posts
    • 31,176 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I avoid twits!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 7th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    coffeehound
    You could argue that about TVs - 20 years ago we were sitting around watching a screen and here we are 20 years later sitting watching a screen, so applying your logic nothing has changed?
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Yeah but sitting around watching TV is what they are for. AFAIK there was no practical use for VR headsets between the '90s and the 2010s.

As far as TV goes, HD is worth having. 3D died on its erse. Some things are worth having, others, not.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 16,957 Posts
    • 10,090 Thanks
    motorguy
    I avoid twits!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Likewise!

I use technology to help me avoid the general public :-
    • online shopping
    • supermarket home delivery
    • online entertainment
    • apps that mean you dont have to go to people (banking, holidays, etc)
    • chat functionality on websites
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Jul 18, 4:05 PM
    • 16,957 Posts
    • 10,090 Thanks
    motorguy
    Yeah but sitting around watching TV is what they are for. AFAIK there was no practical use for VR headsets between the '90s and the 2010s.

As far as TV goes, HD is worth having. 3D died on its erse. Some things are worth having, others, not.
    VR is an interface - often just a different / better way of doing what can already be done. What you can do with it is down to the technology.

And a lot more has happened in 20 years with TVs :-
    • LCD Screens
    • TVs are much bigger
    • SMART TVs - giving you apps instead of having to pretty much rely on an expensive cable / SKY box.
    • Optical sound output
    • Soundbars
    • HDMI connectivity

And likewise VR technology has improved greatly over the same time - the Oculus Go being the latest incarnation of that and the first to offer standalone capability with decent, usable performance at an (almost) buy it now price.

I think it will be interesting to watch the VR space over the next few years.
    Last edited by motorguy; 07-07-2018 at 4:10 PM.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 7th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    coffeehound
    And likewise VR technology has improved greatly over the same time - the Oculus Go being the latest incarnation of that and the first to offer standalone capability with decent, usable performance at an (almost) buy it now price.

I think it will be interesting to watch the VR space over the next few years.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Fair enough from your info it is coming into its own now, but perhaps that's the same kind of situation with voice-controlled technology now as VR was in the '90s: it isn't really good for much now, but will be good for something in future. It's basically a technology looking for a worthwhile use at this stage?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 16,957 Posts
    • 10,090 Thanks
    motorguy
    Fair enough from your info it is coming into its own now, but perhaps that's the same kind of situation with voice-controlled technology now as VR was in the '90s: it isn't really good for much now, but will be good for something in future. It's basically a technology looking for a worthwhile use at this stage?
    Have a read at this

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/03/26/what-does-the-future-hold-for-virtual-reality.aspx

And this

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/future-tech/7-ways-virtual-reality-will-change-the-world-11363913841925

The technology itself has matured so an awful lot more is viable than was.

Right now - and with the Oculus Go - i look at as an insight in to what the future could look like with it, but its definitely something to keep an eye on
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,206 Thanks
    Farway
    Do you also still drive a car with a carburettor and points and condenser ignition?
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    At least I'd have a clue what to check & test when it doesn't start
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 7th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 10,236 Posts
    • 7,662 Thanks
    GunJack
    The biggest single issue with "tech" these days is the constant data harvesting that's going on through it.... a lot of the current stuff would be more palatable if there was none of that going on...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 7th Jul 18, 5:58 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    RumRat
    It's amazing how many people without Voice controlled tech appear to think it doesn't do much.
    It's not for everyone, but then again, neither was the remote control.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 7th Jul 18, 6:08 PM
    • 5,857 Posts
    • 11,196 Thanks
    dealer wins
    Anything with the word "smart" is to be avoided, a pet hate of mine that word when used in a tech way!!!
    Choose life
    • iltisman
    • By iltisman 7th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 2,697 Thanks
    iltisman
    Any voice controlled device ,they just don't work with my voice.

Smart Meters, just a con to do away with meter readers .

Cars that don't have an ignition key, just a dongle and a button on the dash . I thought that would go wrong when I hired one and it failed.
    It's only my cheerfulness that keeps me going
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 7th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    Dandytf
    I find myself resisting smart light hubs and bulbs.
    Not sure why-takes a bit of effort to find ses small screw smart bulbs-though they can be purchased online via 3rd party sites.
    Yet to be convinced at the investment required to setup.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2018 8840 paid. 60% approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2018-Virgin Money E-saver V11 -250+50 uk pounds per month
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 7th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    coffeehound
    It's amazing how many people without Voice controlled tech appear to think it doesn't do much.
    It's not for everyone, but then again, neither was the remote control.
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I can't remember anyone complaining about remote controls (well except for the VCR ones connected by wires that the dog chewed), but anyway. Pray enlighten me.
    • B_G_B
    • By B_G_B 7th Jul 18, 8:27 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    B_G_B
    Beware of toasters trying to take over the world!
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Jogged my memory......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 7th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    RumRat
    Any voice controlled device ,they just don't work with my voice.

Smart Meters, just a con to do away with meter readers .

Cars that don't have an ignition key, just a dongle and a button on the dash . I thought that would go wrong when I hired one and it failed.
    Originally posted by iltisman
    What's wrong with your voice? Our Google home understands the 3 year old in the house who has difficulty with G's, C's and F's....
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 7th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    RumRat
    I can't remember anyone complaining about remote controls (well except for the VCR ones connected by wires that the dog chewed), but anyway. Pray enlighten me.
    I don't recall saying anyone complained about them..
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 7th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    Robisere
    My car is 'half keyless' in that I open it with a button press, but the key folds out from the fob and is used to start the engine. What I love about the car and my phone, is the way that I can Bluetooth - connect both and put the phone in a cradle, to use the phone hands-free and communicate via the audio system. If in busy traffic, I ask the caller to wait until I can call back. The cradle is in a useful small 'A' pillar side window, and out of most of my field of view

This may not be new to most of you, but at 73 I find that using the Tech that is actually useful to my needs, is the stuff I will use.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 7th Jul 18, 10:47 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    boliston

Smart Meters, just a con to do away with meter readers . ...
    Originally posted by iltisman
    Can't see any great harm in automating something that must be very tedious and labour intensive to do manually - what did switchboard operators do when direct dial phones were invented?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,227Posts Today

6,920Users online

Martin's Twitter