Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Jul 18, 2:01 AM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 18,453Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Saturday 7th July 2018
    • 7th Jul 18, 2:01 AM
    Old Style Daily Saturday 7th July 2018 7th Jul 18 at 2:01 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 2
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 24,013 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Gers sorry to hear your Mum is still not well.

Mrs TA, pleased the second blood test was ok.

We are in for another scorcher. Its quite hot in the top of the garden already. We are badly in need of rain the ground has very wide cracks in it. We are using washing up water and also also any spare water from the hot tap before it runs hot, if you see what I mean.

The gardener was here yesterday, we left him cutting the grass. He appears also to have weeded the herbaceous border.

Today is Presidents day at OH's old bowling club, they have invited us back again this year, although OH is no longer playing. So an afternoon trying to keep out of the sun and tea to follow. I was sent home with smoked salmon which we will have later before we go out.

Just chilling this morning..........
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jul 18, 9:03 AM
    • 12,695 Posts
    • 43,800 Thanks
    Nelski
    SILVER OLDIE don't ever think that, you have us lot on here. Don't ever stop posting even though you may think you have nothing of interest to say. I waffle on, moan and rant on a daily basis and no-one has yet told me to shut up! And a good idea from GERS. I have no idea where you live but if you are near any of us let us know and we will try to arrange an Old Style meet up. Take care xx
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    How great would that be and so good to put some real faces to names ( I have my own version of what you all look like but chances are its way off )

I'm in if we decide its a goer
  • archived user
    TA glad to hear Mr TA's blood test results were ok.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 18,453 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    How great would that be and so good to put some real faces to names ( I have my own version of what you all look like but chances are its way off )

I'm in if we decide its a goer
    Originally posted by Nelski
    So am I .
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 9:26 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    I'm in for a meet-up

Nelski the Imperial & the Trafalgar? Or Harry Ramsdens If you get chance try The Beach House for cocktails - pricey but very nice & right on the edge of the prom
    • tru
    • By tru 7th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 8,720 Posts
    • 45,920 Thanks
    tru
    Morning

HollyHarvey It's so annoying isn't it? I've tried loads of moisturisers and the best one for me is Morrison's aloe vera. I read somewhere not to use a towel to dry off so after my showers lately I sit in the bedroom to let my legs air day (my lower legs are the worst for the dry skin). It doesn't work for me, the skin gets itchier as it dries. Last night I was so itchy, I scratched one spot so hard that I took the skin off! I wet my legs again, dried off with a towel, used the moisturiser straight away and there was instant relief. I've tried lots of types of creams for cracked feet, none of them were much good but I have a cheap one from Aldi at the moment and it's doing the trick.

Gers Sorry your mum is still in hospital, I was hoping you'd be posting to say that she'd come home xx

silver-oldie I don't have friends, but that's on purpose. I have people to chat to, but not real tell-you-all-my-problems/secrets ones. I just don't trust people.

We've been invited to mr tru's boss's 'celebration of the finished extension' party tonight. This isn't a finally-it's-finished-let's-have-a-bit-of-a-party thing. It's a look-at-how-much-money-I-have-and-you-must-tell-me-how-fabulous-it-is thing. I say we were invited, it felt more like a summons. It's a very small firm so it's very difficult for the handful of employees to wriggle out of these things. Dreading it.

Bulletproof
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    • 12,695 Posts
    • 43,800 Thanks
    Nelski
    I'm in for a meet-up

Nelski the Imperial & the Trafalgar? Or Harry Ramsdens If you get chance try The Beach House for cocktails - pricey but very nice & right on the edge of the prom
    Originally posted by Floss
    aw nice try .....Harry Ramsdens not exactly what I would describe as a seafood restaurant chippy yes

One is very close though........now on with the hotel
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 6,850 Posts
    • 95,840 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Another scorcher here we are so lucky with this weather, we are off to try and buy a paddling pool for dd's OH little boy, it is too hot to go out anywhere much so we thought a day in the shade in the garden splashing about would be in order.

I wont be watching the footie but will get the gist of it from the neighbours shouts .

Will wizz round and do the housework this morning and then have a relaxing afternoon under the shade in the garden.

BBQ for dinner tonight OH is very excited about the foot long sausages that I found in Aldi yesterday

Gers I am thinking of your dear mum and hoping you get better news today xx

Hugs to the TA'A xx

Judi I really cant believe they have not invited you to the party !! How rude !

SIlver O where abouts in the country are you ? I consider you my friend xx
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Jul 18, 10:51 AM
    • 968 Posts
    • 13,116 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning campers !
    I spent half of last night trying to catch a huge moth in the bedroom . Lights on, ladder moving from place to place and me swinging a T. shirt above my head ! Mr Fix It......... fast asleep, oblivious, even when the dam thing landed on his head he never moved .
    Anyway this morning I have stripped the bed, including the mattress topper and it's all working it's way through the WM. I am taking this opportunity to post whilst awaiting instructions from Mr Fix It, who is attempting to fit a handle on the door we fitted yesterday. Then it will be all hands to the pump to fit door number 2. I am hoping it won't be as hot today, even though the area for door fitting is in the shade until the afternoon, it was still too hot, even for me. It's lovely to just sit in though, but I haven't had much chance since our holiday .
    Thanks for reminding me about the footie, I know I'm not English but I still support any team from GB, all be it through my fingers at times . I hope the D.I.Y stuff will be finished by then.
    Oh heck, I've just remembered I have to remake the bed too .

TA if you choose plan B can you swing by for me ?
    SilverOldie I too am your friend, please post as often you like. I only have one person who I would bare my soul to, (other than Mr Fix It ) and unfortunately our paths do not cross as often as they used to, as we both have other commitments now.
    Tea tonight will be BBQ pork steaks with chips/salad and I'll try not to throw any of it on the floor today
    Righty ho, I'm being summoned to hold something or other, so I will love you all and leave you. Take care and hugs to anyone who wants or needs one.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • archived user
    Stinks like a brewery upstairs.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Jul 18, 11:12 AM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 50,090 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Hugs Judi, I'm sorry you are upset, it's horrible when you do so much and it's not appreciated.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • archived user
    Hugs Judi, I'm sorry you are upset, it's horrible when you do so much and it's not appreciated.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    My chin is up my Titus out.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 23,502 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    I don't have any friends, it's just me and DH.
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    We are here, we listen and even when we can't do much to help in practical terms, there is friendship and support here
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    aw nice try .....Harry Ramsdens not exactly what I would describe as a seafood restaurant chippy yes

One is very close though........now on with the hotel
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Hey, I'll have you know that our HR restaurant has recently moved to the bottom of the Tower & is very nice now (its where the Tower Lounge used to have its sticky carpet )

Now......Hiton...Savoy...Cliffs...Big Blue...not the Norbreck??

Whichever you're in, enjoy, and no fighting the thousands of visitors for a bit of our sandy beaches - I don't want to see your name across the front page of the local rag!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    Silver Oldie The Daily is one of the friendliest threads on MSE - even if we could pass each other in the street & not notice, we are all your friends xx
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Jul 18, 1:58 PM
    • 10,885 Posts
    • 119,728 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I aiten't dead!! Just a) had a few internet issues (it's eaten a couple of my emails, and the connection keeps dropping, and even when it's working, it's m-e-g-a-s--l--o--w. No idea why. And b) I'm still getting back to normal having been away for a couple of days.

As you may have read, I plucked up the courage and actually met another OS-er, Lainey, and her beautiful horse Lulu. I have to say Lainey and her OH are lovely people, and made us feel very welcome.

Silver Oldie I'm another who has no-one else to bare their soul to - trust me hun, you're not alone.

I'll be honest, I'm trying hard not to "lose it" today - this afternoon is Mr LW's visit to the neurologist, and I am honestly very scared as to what they are going to find. I have so much respect for TA who somehow soldiers on in the face of extreme adversity. Me - I'm just a total wimp who is convinced that the worst will happen always.

Anyways, I'm keeping myself busy, busy, busy to keep my mind occupied. Washing bin is empty; dins is organised (sausage salad with jelly and fruit for dessert - I'm trying a Halal jelly from the World Foods aisle in Morries, as it's also suitable for veggies, and is half the price of the stuff in H&B.)

We did a trial run to the hospital yesterday; I shall go along and bring the car home, thus avoiding Mr LW paying the eye-watering parking fee. Yeah, I could park for free with my Blue Badge, but that'd mean me hanging around at the hospital; or worse, going in with him. He's got notes of everything to ensure the Consultant knows about, so everything crossed that it's not what I fear it is.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    LW huge (virtual only) hug - do you have something distracting to occupy yourself with while Mr LW is away from home?
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Gers I hope your mum feels better today. I had high hopes that now they'd figured out what was wrong the medication would make her feel better more quickly. I don't suppose the heat is helping though.

LW positive vibes for MrLW.

Judi I'm thinking that if you say anything to TBO then you'll be in the wrong according to her rules and there'll be even more hassle. Some people don't realise how lucky they are.

The HT has been sailing this morning. The little seaside village where we sail from was quiet when we arrived this morning but by the time we left it was absolutely heaving with people and with car drivers searching for parking places.

I put a whites wash in the machine before we went out so that's on the line now. Tea is cooked (yesterday's leftovers) and just needs to be microwaved. I do like this warm weather and I'm not having trouble sleeping unless you count the lunatic who was driving up and down our road at 3:10 am slamming their brakes on and leaving skid marks. That woke me up. If I happen to say I'm hot the HT starts laughing and says "are you sure?". I'm definitely not that kind of hot so I've taken to saying "My goodness it's warm".
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs

October Grocery Challenge £138.20/£150
    November GC £136.91/£200
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Jul 18, 3:14 PM
    • 10,885 Posts
    • 119,728 Thanks
    LameWolf
    LW huge (virtual only) hug - do you have something distracting to occupy yourself with while Mr LW is away from home?
    Originally posted by Floss
    I can always find something that wants cleaning - that seems to be my go-to activity. No good reading a book, I sit there failing to take it in, but cleaning I can do without it mattering if it's not done "right" iyswim.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
  • archived user

Judi I'm thinking that if you say anything to TBO then you'll be in the wrong according to her rules and there'll be even more hassle. Some people don't realise how lucky they are.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Of course your right but it hurts. SILs family will be there as they are close. . Any whiff of a party or holiday and they are there.

I've recently cut down my messages to her....feel that contact is one sided. She only messages me when she wants something which is rarely now we don't have the kids overnight.

Time to distance myself ....

Anyone know how long a game of football lasts? I hate football but I love my country so I'm making myself watch it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,682Posts Today

8,705Users online

Martin's Twitter