Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • donac
    • By donac 6th Jul 18, 11:35 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    donac
    CIFAS Marker and Emigrating
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:35 PM
    CIFAS Marker and Emigrating 6th Jul 18 at 11:35 PM
    Hi

Long story short I have a cat 6 CIFAS marker.
    I was just wondering would this have an effect if I was to emigrate in the future?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 32,915 Posts
    • 20,729 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    Hi

Long story short I have a cat 6 CIFAS marker.
    I was just wondering would this have an effect if I was to emigrate in the future?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by donac
    Emigrate to where ? Find out if that country would let you in with a cat 6 cifas marker.

Its only convictions you have to declare on application.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 11-07-2018 at 7:19 AM.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 9,651 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    Can't see how it would make the slightest of difference.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • T-G-C
    • By T-G-C 10th Jul 18, 11:43 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    T-G-C
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:43 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:43 PM
    Unless the offence committed was linked with a criminal prosecution, it would not in itself impact the application of a VISA or other international permit to travel abroad.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
    • donac
    • By donac 15th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    donac
    • 15th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 15th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    Would it not affect opening a bank account?
    • donac
    • By donac 15th Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    donac
    • 15th Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    • 15th Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    Would I still be able to open a bank account in that country?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Jul 18, 6:35 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Jul 18, 6:35 PM
    • 15th Jul 18, 6:35 PM
    Have you asked?
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 16th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    • 16th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 16th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    As a point of fact the credit history is usually limited to a country. For instance, Canadian credit history has nothing to do with US credit history. However, sometimes, certain banks would allow you to move credit history from one country to another; for instance, HSBC was happy to take into account credit history from Hong Kong when I've applied for a credit card in the UK.
    • T-G-C
    • By T-G-C 16th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    T-G-C
    • 16th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    • 16th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    Would it not affect opening a bank account?
    Originally posted by donac
    It would in the UK, as banks check applications against fraud databases, the main one being the CIFAS register. If you reside abroad in future, CIFAS generally should not impact you. Although assuming you have learned from your past mistakes, the equivalent fraud prevention agency abroad shouldn't have a problem with you.

You would find it extremely difficult to open a bank account in this country with a Category 6 - First Party Fraud warning. This is one of the most serious categories, however in some cases, a bank may offer a basic account, with no overdraft; contactless; cheque book or any other facility on the account which isn't suitable for a fraudster.

The last remaining options if declined for a basic bank account would be a prepaid card, although companies like Monzo still perform soft searches and identity checks, which could still raise the fraud flag and cause them to refuse your application, although the chance of acceptance is much higher than with a high-street bank or creditor.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

2,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin