Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 6th Jul 18, 10:00 PM
    • 5,616Posts
    • 7,898Thanks
    deannatrois
    ESA Severe Disability Premium
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:00 PM
    ESA Severe Disability Premium 6th Jul 18 at 10:00 PM
    My 22 year old son claims income related ESA. I was his appointee and while he lived here I claimed carers allowance. Then he moved out under unpleasant circumstances, asked for me to not be his appointee anymore. I ceased claiming carers allowance for caring for him and opened a new claim for looking after my younger son who also has ASD (high rate care DLA low mobility).

I wrote a letter to DWP asking to be removed as his appointee. According to my son they have received this.

I did resist asking for appointeeship to be rescinded because I was fairly sure it would be problematic for him to manage his benefits (he has a lot of problems with phone calls). And yep he is having problems but doesn't seem to be able to sort it out and now I'm not his appointee (maybe) I can't phone for him.

I am still being paid his ESA and DLA and transfer it to him. Which is a position I don't really want to be in. It is a tad awkward. His Gf is convinced I am a control freak lol. Not pleasant.

He seems to be having problems contacting ESA, says he gets told to hang on but never gets through. He also needs to claim severe disability premium as I don't claim CA for him. He keeps asking me what he can do, is very confused but I gave him all the paperwork so its difficult to advise.

Basically
    1)need to find out why transfer of appointeeship hasn't actually happened (sent letter months ago), because of this I can't call. Or can I as I still get sent his money?
    2)Get money sent to his bank account rather than mine and
    3)Get him to phone successfully to claim severe disability premium (which should have happened automatically but hasn't when I stopped claiming carers allowance for him). I offered to help him when he was here last few days but he didn't take up the offer. I did offer nicely, just said I'd be there if he needed help.

Can Disability premium be backdated to when I stopped claiming carers allowance?

I keep telling my son to contact his social worker and get help from him but he doesn't seem to have.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 06-07-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 6th Jul 18, 10:42 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 30,944 Thanks
    Ames
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:42 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:42 PM
    I'm sorry you're still going through all this, I remember your previous posts about it. It's the last thing you need right now too, condolences about your dad.

My 22 year old son claims income related ESA. I was his appointee and while he lived here I claimed carers allowance. Then he moved out under unpleasant circumstances, asked for me to not be his appointee anymore. I ceased claiming carers allowance for caring for him and opened a new claim for looking after my younger son who also has ASD (high rate care DLA low mobility).

I wrote a letter to DWP asking to be removed as his appointee. According to my son they have received this.

I did resist asking for appointeeship to be rescinded because I was fairly sure it would be problematic for him to manage his benefits (he has a lot of problems with phone calls). And yep he is having problems but doesn't seem to be able to sort it out and now I'm not his appointee (maybe) I can't phone for him.

I am still being paid his ESA and DLA and transfer it to him. Which is a position I don't really want to be in. It is a tad awkward. His Gf is convinced I am a control freak lol. Not pleasant.

He seems to be having problems contacting ESA, says he gets told to hang on but never gets through. How long is he waiting? It can be up to an hour. 8am is the best time to get through. Be prepared for the person who answers to not know what they're talking about though - I recently waited weeks for an appointment for a support worker to call them and the info I got was completely wrong. He also needs to claim severe disability premium as I don't claim CA for him. He keeps asking me what he can do, is very confused but I gave him all the paperwork so its difficult to advise.

Basically
    1)need to find out why transfer of appointeeship hasn't actually happened (sent letter months ago), because of this I can't call. Or can I as I still get sent his money? I think they're just really behind on letters. I wrote to them in December telling them they were paying me too much because they hadn't applied tariff income even though I'd declared savings. It still hasn't been actioned, although they've confirmed they got my letter
    2)Get money sent to his bank account rather than mine and I don't know, sorry.
    3)Get him to phone successfully to claim severe disability premium (which should have happened automatically but hasn't when I stopped claiming carers allowance for him). Maybe the problem is that they haven't actioned the info that he's living alone now and not living with you? I offered to help him when he was here last few days but he didn't take up the offer. I did offer nicely, just said I'd be there if he needed help.

Can Disability premium be backdated to when I stopped claiming carers allowance? I think it can be backdated to when he became eligible for it - so was living alone with no-one claiming CA.
    I keep telling my son to contact his social worker and get help from him but he doesn't seem to have.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Perhaps he needs to make a complaint and maybe get his MP involved? If they've accepted you're not his appointee and he's told them they're not paying his money to him then that seems to me to be a serious breach.

Although I think that it's going to be down to him to sort it all out - he's the one who decided he doesn't need help so it's his problem now. Maybe you should just gently explain that to him whenever he talks to you about it.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 7th Jul 18, 3:43 AM
    • 5,616 Posts
    • 7,898 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:43 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:43 AM
    I don't think him writing to them is an option. He's not very good at that.

What a nightmare, what I thought would happen but absolutely no pleasure in it. I think he has been given a very heavily overworked social worker who his gf is scared to death of (like she is me) so he doesn't ask him for help when really he should. She is very good at questioning people's motivations (she even told him I was making up my father's death believe it or not) and my son is just not able to see through it. She needs him etc. He won't listen to me. Such a shame.

I do give advice as to who he needs to call and what to ask for but also make it clear I can do nothing as I'm not the appointee anymore. I know when I did phone ESA I didn't have the problems he's said, although it did take a few phone calls to sort the issue out. I did get through to the right people. I've sent him a copy of the carers allowance letter showing carers allowance for him was stopped so he has the dates from which he should have started getting SDP and proof.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 07-07-2018 at 3:48 AM.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 7th Jul 18, 5:25 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    _shel
    • 7th Jul 18, 5:25 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 5:25 AM
    If he can he or you should go to the CAB or welfare rights and they will call for him. I make such calls for people in CAB often waiting more than an hour for them to pick up the phone. But saves his money and impatience at waiting.

If he is with you to answer security questions you can still phone for him. He will be asked if it's ok for you to talk on his behalf after going through security. But again you can do the waiting rather than him.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 30,944 Thanks
    Ames
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    Is he definitely entitled to the SDP? He might not be if he's living with his girlfriend.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 7th Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    The sdp won't be paid automatically after closing the carers allowance claim.

It has to be claimed separately using form is10
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 7th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5,616 Posts
    • 7,898 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    ok thank you. I hav passed the information that he needs to phone and ask to fill in IS10 aurally. That's clear and simple. He might be able to do it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,671Posts Today

5,972Users online

Martin's Twitter