Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 6th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 5,104Posts
    • 54,188Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    End of tenancy and garden
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    End of tenancy and garden 6th Jul 18 at 9:25 PM
    Hi
    I moved into my currently property in late October, 2016

On the inventory it states the garden to be clean, tidy and weed free, which in October it was.
    Now, I'm having to leave as have been issued with a sec 21 as LL has sold property (huge thanks to people on here for helping me with that, but that's another story)

The garden is now, and was last summer, full of mares tail, which is impossible to keep down or clear- clear it one day and its back the next

Will i risk a loss of my deposit as the garden was clear when i moved in?
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter
Page 2
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 7th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    Margot123
    For every bit of Mare's Tail you break off, it will bush out and send multiple 'branches' up making it look even bigger!

Leave well alone and see what your LL says. If they complain, ask them for photos of the garden without it.......
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 7th Jul 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 4,526 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Kurtail is best used with an adjuvant in a knapsack sprayer and more than one treatment is probably the norm. Apparently, many people do find it works.

I'm light touch. I don't have mares tail but I have bracken, which I treat every 3 years. Don't look to eradicate, just control; after all, something must like bracken!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Can't spray mine:

The marestail is in my borders . I was trying to spot apply Kurtail which is why it didn't work very well.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 7th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Horrible stuff, I'm considering just giving up and giving the whole garden over to it to be honest. Or tarmac.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 7th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 29,478 Posts
    • 75,239 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Horrible stuff, I'm considering just giving up and giving the whole garden over to it to be honest. Or tarmac.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    It will push its way up through tarmac!
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 7th Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 54,188 Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    For every bit of Mare's Tail you break off, it will bush out and send multiple 'branches' up making it look even bigger!

Leave well alone and see what your LL says. If they complain, ask them for photos of the garden without it.......
    Originally posted by Margot123
    brilliant. They didn't take any photos so would have to prove it wasn't there.
    Many thanks to those who are understanding of how bad it is.
    Neighbours just do the same as me and leave it, waiting patiently for winter when it dies back.
    We're currently on day 27 without any rain and I've not watered, yet its growing away, as strong as ever. Stuffs evil.
    And yes, it will grow back in 3 days, or less. If i pull it out then the agents don't do check out for a few days, then it'll be back.
    I tried a weedkiller last night and it hasn't even tainted the leaves.
    Thanks again for your help and i'll do a mixture of these things.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 7th Jul 18, 8:04 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 54,188 Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    A big chunk of my garden is decked, and i think thats why they did it.
    It has worked though and nothing comes through the decking
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,066Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin