Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 6th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 5,104Posts
    • 54,188Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    End of tenancy and garden
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    End of tenancy and garden 6th Jul 18 at 9:25 PM
    Hi
    I moved into my currently property in late October, 2016

On the inventory it states the garden to be clean, tidy and weed free, which in October it was.
    Now, I'm having to leave as have been issued with a sec 21 as LL has sold property (huge thanks to people on here for helping me with that, but that's another story)

The garden is now, and was last summer, full of mares tail, which is impossible to keep down or clear- clear it one day and its back the next

Will i risk a loss of my deposit as the garden was clear when i moved in?
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter
Page 1
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 6th Jul 18, 9:30 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:30 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:30 PM
    What have the inspections said about the garden (assuming it happened)?
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 6th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 54,188 Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    What have the inspections said about the garden (assuming it happened)?
    Originally posted by walwyn1978
    No inspections as such, just occasional, friendly visits from LL and no mention of garden.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    • 44,741 Posts
    • 53,226 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    In theory you could have the cost of a gardener to deal with the mares tail (whatever that is!), since you should leave the garden as it was at the start, subject of course to any change of season.

But if the LL has sold the property he may not care too much and leave it to the new owner to sort out. Who knows?
    Last edited by G_M; 06-07-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 6th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 54,188 Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    I'll do my best to leave it as i found it then.

If i soak it in weedkiller the day before i move out, and it then takes 3 days before they inspect the property, i might have a fight on my hands as it'll have grown back.

I'll take photos and add some internet quotes about Mares tail ( its very invasive and quick growing)

Thank you x
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 6th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 59,239 Posts
    • 52,614 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    Need to dig out as much of the root as you can when weeding. Can be controlled. Just takes patience and committment during the growing season.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 6th Jul 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    Fen1
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:10 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:10 PM
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=257

This might help.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 6th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    I'll do my best to leave it as i found it then.

If i soak it in weedkiller the day before i move out, and it then takes 3 days before they inspect the property, i might have a fight on my hands as it'll have grown back.

I'll take photos and add some internet quotes about Mares tail ( its very invasive and quick growing)

Thank you x
    Originally posted by betterlatethannever

Don't bother with the weedkiller - it won't work. Marestail has a tough outer coating that will not soak up the weedkiller. Pull it by hand that is really all you can do.

The damn plant is prehistoric and really hard to get rid off. I have been eradicating it from my garden since 2005 (by pulling / digging-up). I reckon another few years and it will almost be gone. The roots go down very far.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 25,554 Posts
    • 93,539 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    The weed is endemic to certain locations, so it was there when you took up the tenancy, just not actively growing.

Ordinary weedkillers won't touch it; the only product that does is expensive and only available to you over the internet. It will still probably take some time to be effective.

Your best defence is that it was always there. Pull it up before inspection and cross your fingers.

Edit: Spider you may be organic or averse to spending large sums on the garden, but if those don't apply, then Kurtail from Progreen is worth a look.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 7th Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath

Edit: Spider you may be organic or averse to spending large sums on the garden, but if those don't apply, then Kurtail from Progreen is worth a look.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Thanks.

I don't like using chemicals, but in desperation a few years ago I tried Kurtail - it didn't really work .

Consistently pulling by hand has been the best method (but it has taken years).
    • elsien
    • By elsien 7th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 16,737 Posts
    • 42,228 Thanks
    elsien
    Can't you strim it down just before you leave?

Edit - just googled it and it's popped up in my garden. Didn't know what it was. Time to start digging.
    Last edited by elsien; 07-07-2018 at 8:29 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Jul 18, 8:43 AM
    • 9,852 Posts
    • 11,011 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    clear it one day and its back the next
    Of course it isn't, so as elsien has said, just strim it down the day before you go.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 7th Jul 18, 9:46 AM
    • 16,819 Posts
    • 41,524 Thanks
    FBaby
    How do people on your street deal with it? It will be harder to manage if you haven't kept good maintenance of the garden. That was your choice as you were not required to do so, but ultimately, if the garden then doesn't look as it was when you moved, you can expect that they will request money from your deposit to put right.

Saying that you only have 3 days to do it right is not an excuse. As for concern that things will grow back (I doubt it will do so in 3 days), but just in case, take pictures on your last day with the date on them.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 7th Jul 18, 10:51 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    How do people on your street deal with it? It will be harder to manage if you haven't kept good maintenance of the garden. That was your choice as you were not required to do so, but ultimately, if the garden then doesn't look as it was when you moved, you can expect that they will request money from your deposit to put right.

Saying that you only have 3 days to do it right is not an excuse. As for concern that things will grow back (I doubt it will do so in 3 days), but just in case, take pictures on your last day with the date on them.
    Originally posted by FBaby

It will grow back in 3 days unfortunately. Not the bits pulled, but new shoots will be showing.

It is fast growing, rampant and very difficult to eradicate.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 7th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3,402 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Don't bother with the weedkiller - it won't work. Marestail has a tough outer coating that will not soak up the weedkiller. Pull it by hand that is really all you can do.

The damn plant is prehistoric and really hard to get rid off. I have been eradicating it from my garden since 2005 (by pulling / digging-up). I reckon another few years and it will almost be gone. The roots go down very far.
    Originally posted by Spider In The Bath
    I can vouch for this, now having looked up images just now, I used weedkiller, killed some other randoms, but these remained fully green and I was like so what the hell is it. Only appeared this year.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 07-07-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Jul 18, 11:40 AM
    • 20,471 Posts
    • 16,260 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I'd definitely try to make the argument that the mares tail must have been present when you moved in even if it wasn't showing (what time of year was it?). There's no point in trying to do any short term action, it'll have little or no impact. It's a long term job to get rid of it, and even then there's no guarantee of success. The chemicals that might have been a bit quicker have pretty much all been banned, certainly for domestic use, and most of them for professional use too. I'm in a multi-year fight with it using glyphosphate several times a year.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 7th Jul 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    I can vouch for this, now having looked up images just now, I used weedkiller, killed some other randoms, but these remained fully green and I was like so what the hell is it. Only appeared this year.
    Originally posted by cjdavies

Want to be even more ?

Find one of the plants in its fern like form.

Pull the plant in half. So, leave the root and bottom section in the ground and pull off some of the top growth.

Look at the bit you pulled off. It will have a 'spike' sticking out of the bottom. The plant left in the ground will have a hole. Connect the section you pulled off back into the main plant. The plant will now look as it did before you pulled it apart - and it will happily keep growing too.

For this reason the plant is known as the LEGO plant.

OP - pull by hand and then take a dated photo as suggested.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Jul 18, 11:47 AM
    • 3,479 Posts
    • 6,697 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Keep anything herbivorous away from it! Nasty stuff.

Digging it out must be a hell of a job, apparently the roots go down five feet!
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Jul 18, 12:39 PM
    • 25,554 Posts
    • 93,539 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Thanks.

I don't like using chemicals, but in desperation a few years ago I tried Kurtail - it didn't really work .

Consistently pulling by hand has been the best method (but it has taken years).
    Originally posted by Spider In The Bath
    Kurtail is best used with an adjuvant in a knapsack sprayer and more than one treatment is probably the norm. Apparently, many people do find it works.

I'm light touch. I don't have mares tail but I have bracken, which I treat every 3 years. Don't look to eradicate, just control; after all, something must like bracken!
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 16,152 Posts
    • 44,469 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Wondering how much of it there is?

Of course a different bet if the whole garden is riddled with it. But I panicked when I spotted a mini clump of it growing here a while after I got the house and darn stuff was awkward location too (ie in a crack in the cracked concrete path). I did manage to get rid of that some months back by trimming it down absolutely to the millimeter as close as I could get to the ground, then repeatedly pouring boiling hot water over it and then covering that bit of ground up for months.

I've taken the "cover" off recently and - touch wood - there's only "ordinary" weeds growing there now. Whew!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,820Posts Today

8,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin