Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 6th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Miowzolite
    Think Workplace might be Dodgy and Hygiene Check due?
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    Think Workplace might be Dodgy and Hygiene Check due? 6th Jul 18 at 5:59 PM
    Despite having a 5* Hygiene rating, my work place (Coffee Shop) seems incredibly unlikely to pass one, as the shop owner does not care enough to make changes to fix the dodgy equipment (or lack of equipment.)

I'm looking for a new job to be out asap, but today the health society phoned and said we are due a health and hygiene check as our certificate has expired.

Firstly, we have a sink but no boiler, so no hot water. We have to get hot water from the coffee machine and pour it into the sink to wash up.

Secondly, the coffee machine is broken. Only one side works, and only one side has ever worked for the whole time we have been there. The hot water doesn't work normally, it sprays out all over the place and is insanely loud, half the shop is covered with steam to produce a tiny amount. Ages ago someone was called out to look at it and said it was beyond repair and full of limescale, because the shop owner hasn't been cleaning it or had it serviced for the 4 years before we arrived.

Thirdly, we have no toilets. Not for staff or customers. Our building is on the outside of a shopping center and counts as a kiosk so apparently this is legal, however the nearest toilets are right at the top of the shopping center, pretty far away, and I'm not sure we should be serving food if we cannot provide toilets but I might be wrong.

Lastly, our lease was up in April and the shop owner has not renewed it to our knowledge. He went away to Iran for 5 months and we got mountains of bills and brown envelopes, now he's back he's refusing to look at them repeatedly saying "I'll do it later."

I was just wondering what would happen if we got closed down, or if there is any way to anonymously voice our concerns? The shop makes very little money, sometimes less than a fiver a day, but he needs it open for his visa or something like that...

What would you do in this situation? Ignore it or report suspicion? I just want job security until I can find another place to go....
Page 2
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 8th Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    Sorry I work full time so it's not easy to find time to go online. My manager and owner are very lazy but my collegue is alright, I don't recall using these boards before but may have done in the past. I asked a question about confidentiality when conducting assessments under suspicion but I don't know if it was on here or not.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    This is the thread aife & I referred to

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5838551&highlight=lazy+manager
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 39,030 Posts
    • 35,911 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I can only think that this is the ex friend and manager referred to in that other post ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 9th Jul 18, 10:42 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    So apparently we passeeld the hygiene check and got a 5 star rating according to the manager. No idea how, I wasn't there to witness it so going to speak with my colleague tomorrow.
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 9th Jul 18, 10:44 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    Not letting me edit post, *Passed
    Sorry phone is really playing up.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 10th Jul 18, 5:09 AM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 4,475 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    So apparently we passeeld the hygiene check and got a 5 star rating according to the manager. No idea how, I wasn't there to witness it so going to speak with my colleague tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Miowzolite
    You can check the real score here.

Not sure how quick it's updated.
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 10th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    Thanks, it hasn't been updated yet. I'm wondering if it's true it all seems very fast considering they only called last week. Will keep an eye on it.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 10th Jul 18, 9:40 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Thanks, it hasn't been updated yet. I'm wondering if it's true it all seems very fast considering they only called last week. Will keep an eye on it.
    Probably bought the Rating off Ebay or similar...i know my local Kebab shop did until they were reported.

Food was great but staff and kitchen were filthy.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 10th Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    That's awful, didn't know they could do that.

Our place is very hygienic and clean, and the crisps and biscuits are checked by date and kept cool. But I can't see it passing a check due to having no boiler and the coffee machine is dangerous to staff.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 10th Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Surely your efforts should be directed towards getting a new job (just in case it is closed down) rather than being fixated on the hygiene rating?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Jul 18, 1:41 PM
    • 39,030 Posts
    • 35,911 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    That's awful, didn't know they could do that.

Our place is very hygienic and clean, and the crisps and biscuits are checked by date and kept cool. But I can't see it passing a check due to having no boiler and the coffee machine is dangerous to staff.
    There will be fixed criteria to assess against. If those things aren't on the hygiene check, they won't be looked at. I'm sure the criteria will be online somewhere.

Surely your efforts should be directed towards getting a new job (just in case it is closed down) rather than being fixated on the hygiene rating?
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    This is falling on deaf ears, for some reason getting out of a job which could end any day just isn't a priority, even though they really need a job ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 11th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    I've literally had weeks and weeks of interviews. Monday I had one in London which is incredibly far from my home. Yesterday I had 2 in separate towns which were hours apart, and I had one this morning which was more local. I'm involved with two different agencies which I have appointments with regularly, and I give C.V seminars there. One of the agencies has me in the final round (in the top 10) for a job in recruitment at that agency. I'm also in the final round of interviews for a computer graphics position, I have a literacy and numeracy exam next week for a health care role at a hearing aid company, and I've got a fitness text with the local police in August, which is the third stage of the application process with them.

Please don't assume I'm not looking for a new job. I've even started working most nights in local pubs to get a bit of money in, but none have positions available full time, so I'm darting from pub to pub covering staff. I also do freelance graphic design for local companies and clientele, and tutor two GCSE students, one who has autism and the other who is Iranian and cannot speak English very well.

Moral of story: Just because somebody works in a coffee shop does not mean they do not have a masters degree and qualifications and experience in other areas. I've worked for the RAF and in Recruitment all my life, I just wanted to do something a bit lighter for a while and focus on my freelance design work alongside it.

Anyway, we passed the hygiene check. Scored 5 - no idea how. Yay.
    Last edited by Miowzolite; 11-07-2018 at 6:04 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,450Posts Today

7,909Users online

Martin's Twitter