Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    • 16,165Posts
    • 44,544Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Does hot weather affect computers?
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    Does hot weather affect computers? 6th Jul 18 at 5:15 PM
    As in I've had a couple of fixes recently on my computer:

- new hard drive a few weeks ago
    - very recently I had the wires swopped to my (only few months old) router
    - had the DNS server swopped from my suppliers default one to another one (chose the Google one)

Had a couple of days of normal service - whizzing along/no fails/fine. First ones I think since I moved to this area a few years ago.

Now - my Internet connection is blipping on/off/on/off and I'm getting a new message some of those times of "Windows cant communicate with device or resource (primary DNS server)". That's the first time I recollect getting this particular message.

Doubt it's the Google DNS server - as it's being touted as one of the best and it was "normal" for a couple of days after I had the server swopped.

Thoughts??
Page 1
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 6th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 6th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    Quite possibly your router is oveheating in this weather. Make sure it's not in a window or in any sun. If possible, put it somewhere shaded - such as on the floor in a corner, or behind the sofa.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 6th Jul 18, 7:10 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:10 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:10 PM
    Please don't put your router on the floor. Non carpet floor you're fine but not on carpet floors, that'll kill it faster than any heatwave.

The hard drive has probably been going for a while as these are gradual as the drive wears out so the fact its failed now is more coincidence than anything else. Computers with heat issues that they can get away with in regular weather tend to find themselves auto powering off when a heatwave comes along.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 16,165 Posts
    • 44,544 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    My new hard drive is only a few weeks old - so at least it can't be that.

The router is on my desk - so not on the carpeted floor. I've spent the last couple of hours trying to cool this house down a bit - in case it's that.

There's a bit of difference in that respect to my last house. As my desk was further away from a window in my last house - but, in this one, it's in front of a window. I do keep (lined) curtains drawn across the window - so sun won't be "beating down" straight onto my router at any rate.

Unfortunately, the one thing I can't do is swop back to my old Internet provider - as it was Virgin Cable and they don't operate in this more remote area - darn it. We're much more restricted in our choice of providers here.

Fingers crossed it's just a very temporary blip thing - courtesy of this unusually hot weather.

EDIT; Think I'd better look out something to sorta "shield" my router from sun then - on top of the way the curtains are shut between it and the window - maybe a thick large book propped on the windowsill....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 06-07-2018 at 8:28 PM.
    • that
    • By that 6th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    that
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    heat does influence not only electronics, but connectors too.

the connections can creep. Also if it is dusty the slight expansion and contraction can break the connection between contacts

Businesses do keep their servers in an temperature and humidity controlled a/c room for a reason. Over 98% of a computers power consumption ends up as heat.

I would back up the pc.

Most routers are not just routers, they are also a switch, dhcp server, firewall, dns provider, and a wifi access point. Get yourself a linux boot cd/usb and put the router into bridge mode and you will get maximum speed, but see how often it cuts out. Warning: this mode bypasses router security and puts your PC on line with no nat
    Last edited by that; 06-07-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 6th Jul 18, 11:01 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 3,112 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:01 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:01 PM
    I have my router on top of a bookshelf in the lounge, in a shielded corner of an outer wall. It is 2 rooms and a hall away from this desktop, also in a shielded corner of an outer wall, connected by a Cat 6 Ethernet cable across the loft, to an Ethernet Hub which also connects to my NAS here and anything else that I need to temporarily connect. The router also connects by Ethernet to our Freesat Humax STB and the TV, across the loft, and by WiFi to other devices such as a laptop (wife's) 2 tablets and 2 phones. Never had any heat issues.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 16,165 Posts
    • 44,544 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    Thanks for the further thoughts.

I am, unfortunately, rather restricted as to where my router can be - as it's not run on wireless. I'm "cabled-up" personally - as I didnt want wireless.

Have duly put a thick folder up on the windowsill in between window and the curtains to "block" the sun a bit.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-07-2018 at 9:13 AM.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 7th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    Please don't put your router on the floor. Non carpet floor you're fine but not on carpet floors, that'll kill it faster than any heatwave.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Good point! I took it for granted that a lot of people have hard flooring these days, so assumed the OP might have also.

I'm wondering if a laptop cooler from Poundland would help cool your router. It's USB powered, but Poundland also sell USB chargers too that will power the cooler nicely.
    • that
    • By that 7th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    that
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    Have duly put a thick folder up on the windowsill in between window and the curtains to "block" the sun a bit.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    As well buy the screwfix 10 for a 12" fan and point it at the router.

You need to look at the router log files, or contact the isp to find out about the line going up and down, but some of the disconnections will be caused by you
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 16,165 Posts
    • 44,544 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Good thinking Macduff - must look out a fan I've got stashed away somewhere.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 7th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 1,076 Thanks
    greyteam1959

The hard drive has probably been going for a while as these are gradual as the drive wears out so the fact its failed now is more coincidence than anything else. Computers with heat issues that they can get away with in regular weather tend to find themselves auto powering off when a heatwave comes along.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Please explain why a router should not be put on a carpeted floor.
    I don't see anything in the router instructions about carpets !!!
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 7th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Originally posted by greyteam1959

it will get confused when hit by a hoover
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 7th Jul 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    boo_star
    I'm guessing heat? The carpet will likely block any vents at the bottom preventing proper air circulation. I'm not sure it'd be bad enough to actually kill a device quickly but it might result in a premature death, although that could be 4 years instead of 6 so unlikely to be a concern to most people.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 8th Jul 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    On most routers the ventilation vents are on the bottom of the unit. Put the router on the floor and the build up of carpet, dust bunnies and whatever else will block the vents. Blocked vents = overheating router = toast. Simple as that.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Jul 18, 8:36 PM
    • 10,134 Posts
    • 11,404 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    My new hard drive is only a few weeks old - so at least it can't be that.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Never assume that because something is new or fairly new then it can't be the cause of any problem.
    When considering the reliability of goods there are generally 3 stages during the life of those goods that they can fail at and amongst the names given are:
    The early failure period,
    The intrinsic (or stable) period which covers most of the normal life of goods and
    The wearout period.

Of these, the early failure period normally produces more failures than the other two.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 18, 6:57 PM
    • 16,165 Posts
    • 44,544 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well - at least if it was my new hard drive - then I presume I wouldnt have to pay Mr Computer any more money to swop it on again if need be.

Fingers crossed though - and I have looked out that fan of mine and have it on whenever I use the computer and "so far so good" and I think maybe the problem is sorted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,283Users online

Martin's Twitter