Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cybervic
    • By cybervic 6th Jul 18, 5:05 PM
    • 437Posts
    • 538Thanks
    cybervic
    Car hit by an ambulance, how to claim?
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:05 PM
    Car hit by an ambulance, how to claim? 6th Jul 18 at 5:05 PM
    An elderly friendís car was damaged by a private ambulance when parked on street in parking bay on 1/June. She was not there, a hand written note was left on her windscreen admitting the liability along with a contact telephone number. When she called, the person who answered her call said they knew about the incident, he took her details, and said someone will get back to her. They didnít call back, she called again 13/June, 27/June, each time different person answered her call, they all took her details saying someone will callback but never happened.

Today, she called again with the intension of asking for more detail about the incident/vehicle reg/driver nameÖetc. Another person picked up, said he could only take down the details and pass it on but refuse to provide any details such as company name, contact email nor vehicle registration number. He told her to contact her car insurer but she said no. She told him itís easier if their insurer can deal with it but he said if she doesnít go through her insurer then she canít make any claim.

She only has third party insurance and her insurer canít help her. I googled the telephone number provided on the note, now we have their business name. What can she do?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    • 33,825 Posts
    • 39,959 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    She reports accident to get insurance with the details you have

3rd party insurance does not affect a claim against anyone else
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 6th Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,251 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    I would suggest she writes to the company at their registered address, lays out the particulars of the accident, their admission of liability and the amount of her claim. She needs to get the car fixed (to the degree she wants it fixed), pay for the repair and claim this back off of the other party in her letter. She may want a solicitor to draft the letter, or she may even have legal protection on her Motor Policy. If she doesn't she is going to have to pay for a solicitor, if she isn't happy writing the letter herself. Using a solicitor will give the best chance of success.

Please reassure your friend that the outcome is likely to be ok. A reputable company will not want to end up in c,ourt over a small matter.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    Get the details of the ambulance's insurer from askmid (foc if you use a smart phone) if she has the reg no.

Then contact the insurer to make a claim

If she has legal cover with her policy she can use that to pursue a claim against the third party
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin