Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnnieP6
    • By AnnieP6 6th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 1Thanks
    AnnieP6
    Dishwasher or handwash?
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    Dishwasher or handwash? 6th Jul 18 at 5:01 PM
    In our present home, we are not on a water meter but decided to get rid of our dishwasher when doing a kitchen refit. There are only two of us at home now so we decided to use the space for an extra cupboard and to hand-wash the dishes.
    We are hoping to move into an apartment soon which has a water meter and includes a dishwasher built into the kitchen.
    We have just been speculating whether it will be more economical to continue to handwash after every meal or to use the dishwasher every few days.
    Which do folks think is the more economical?
Page 1
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 32,783 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    We use the dishwasher.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 15,139 Posts
    • 20,738 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    Water is so cheap that I doubt it makes any difference worth bothering about.

I know what I'd do. I take after my father and he went out and bought a dishwasher in 1966. The first one in the village. Neighbours came to gaze in wonderment.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 64,950 Posts
    • 381,244 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    For water usage alone studies have said that a dishwasher is most economical, using "sprays" of water rather than bowls of it.

There's also the thing of "toss them in there out of sight", whereas with hand washing they can sit 1-2 days while you accumulate enough to feel obliged to do something about it

I hand wash, I've never had a dishwasher... I don't mind handwashing, but when you get a bit behind it's an awful clutter in the kitchen that never seems to go away - especially as I let them drip dry too... so there's always washing up on display at various stages.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 6,651 Posts
    • 11,280 Thanks
    Farway
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    I've got a dishwasher and would never go back to hand washing by choice, just the sheer convenience, chucking it in, out of sight, until washer full. I do a rinse wash just to keep the maggots at bay
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 6th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    Apparently dishwashers hardly use any water, but we don't bother with one, it feels like a bit of an extravagance and we don't have space for a DW and a washing machine.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 6th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    Me and my other half are both in our early 40s and neither of us had ever lived in a house with a dishwasher until we had our old kitchen re-done in 2012. With a couple of months we'd decided we never wanted to go back to handwashing.

The only things we do still handwash are our nicer glasses which would gradually get damaged and anything too big for the dishwasher.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 6th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 9,719 Posts
    • 58,602 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    I thought dishwashers were an extravagance I could live without ...... until we moved into a house with one and now I wouldn't be without one.

For convenience sake as I put my dirty dishes in there out of sight rather than them piling up in the sink. Even after a couple of cups of coffee and breakfast, you can get a sink full of dishes. They do make a better job of your dishes too (if you get a good one).

Oh and there's only 2 of us at home now too.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 6th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    The only issue I see is whether you have enough cutlery and crockery to wait until you have a full load. There is only two of us here and we certainly haven't .
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 6th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    The only issue I see is whether you have enough cutlery and crockery to wait until you have a full load. There is only two of us here and we certainly haven't .
    Originally posted by Linda32
    That is the one down side of them if there are just the 2 of you. We have 6 of each type of plate and bowl along with an 8 person cutlery set for exactly that reason.
    • AnnieP6
    • By AnnieP6 6th Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AnnieP6
    Thanks so much for all your replies. Fortunately, we have plenty of crockery/cutlery - although to downsize a lot will have to go! It seems that the dishwasher wins on the economic front, which was at the heart of our discussion.

I just need to consult the de-clutter forum now on advice to get rid of 50+ years of accumulated and inherited stuff! 4-storey house into 2-bed apartment. Eek!!!
    Last edited by AnnieP6; 06-07-2018 at 6:17 PM. Reason: Emoji
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 6th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Just the two us here too.

When our dishwasher gave up the ghost we bought a replacement the next day.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 6th Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 9,719 Posts
    • 58,602 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    There's only 2 of us but luckily our dishwasher (AEG I think) has a 30 minute quick wash that is marvellous; it cleans even stubborn stains off oven dishes and pans and is the one we mostly use. As it's so quick (other programmes can run for 90+ mins) we use it more regularly.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 6th Jul 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 5,137 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Always a dishwasher, my own has just bought a house and has out the washing machine in the garage so he has room for a disahwasher in the kitchen! Seems like a good plan to me.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 6th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I'm single and I wouldn't be without my dishwasher. Economical, it cleans much more thoroughly (in my view) than hand washing and as above, it's somewhere to put the dirty dishes. I can easily fill mine within a couple of days especially if I've been baking, and I put all sorts of things through it - cat bowls, the cooker filters, soap dishes, flower vases, anything that will stand up to the temperature.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 6th Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    • 20,446 Posts
    • 34,036 Thanks
    Spendless
    I really regret not having a dishwasher put it when we had our kitchen re-furbed. My old one had died a year before and I thought during that 12 months I hadn't missed it, so didn't bother. What a mistake - I'd failed to take into account my kids were becoming teens Anything can change your current situation - I'd go for the DW.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 7th Jul 18, 1:34 AM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 20,863 Thanks
    JIL
    Absolutely love my dishwasher, it's like a cupboard where you put your dirty plates, press a button and they come out clean.

Did you know households with big posh kitchens now have two dishwashers. This means whilst one is in use, the other can hide away the next lot of dirty crockery? It is a common theme adopted by kitchen planners.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 7th Jul 18, 7:59 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 5,246 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Dishwasher all the way. I would hate to be without mine, and there's only two of us.

If any of the family come round for a meal. which they are today, we're not fighting our way out of piles of dirty dishes.

It makes life so much easier.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 7th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 6,170 Posts
    • 11,615 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Dishwasher.

With hand washing your are using a bowl/sink of water three times a day, plus extra water to rinse the dishes.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 7th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 26,139 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Whereas I have three teens, one of whom likes to try to cook (very messily) and the other two who can use the minimum pans to fill the maximum stomach space.

No water meter & a clear sense that the young should be taught that with cooking (or being fed) comes responsibilities, like washing up.

In years to come they may be housed with a dishwasher & one godparent has patiently taught them how to load it correctly, so they know the basics, but I prefer to keep them on hands-on terms with brillo, stardrops & the teatowels...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,246Posts Today

6,828Users online

Martin's Twitter