Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maxclarkk
    • By Maxclarkk 6th Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Maxclarkk
    Student loans help needed!!
    • 6th Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    Student loans help needed!! 6th Jul 18 at 4:39 PM
    Hello everyone

Iím in a bit of a pickle in relation to how I go about repaying student loans because Iím going to China to teach English in January and I might go for more than one year if I notify the government is there a chance that I could pay a reasonable amount whilst in another country?

My fear is that Iíll come back to the UK to own a home and find that my repayments will be sky high as a result of spending years away from home.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you!

Max
Page 1
    • madvicker
    • By madvicker 6th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madvicker
    • 6th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    Have you spoken to the Student Loans Company about it?
    • DrEskimo
    • By DrEskimo 6th Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    DrEskimo
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    Hello everyone

I!!!8217;m in a bit of a pickle in relation to how I go about repaying student loans because I!!!8217;m going to China to teach English in January and I might go for more than one year if I notify the government is there a chance that I could pay a reasonable amount whilst in another country?

My fear is that I!!!8217;ll come back to the UK to own a home and find that my repayments will be sky high as a result of spending years away from home.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you!

Max
    Originally posted by Maxclarkk
    Your repayments will only change based on the amount you earn. It will be capped at 9% of everything you earn above a certain threshold. Currently this is £18,330 for Plan 1 loans, and £25,000 for Plan 2 loans.

The balance will increase while you pay interest and don't pay down the capital, but the balance has no impact on the amount you repay each month.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 7th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 13,273 Posts
    • 19,103 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    What's the pickle? Moving overseas whilst you have student loans outstanding is covered on the Student Loans website. The threshold is determined by the country you will be residing in and if you earn over that threshold you will need to make repayments.

Plan 1

Plan 2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

1,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin