Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 17Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    Retrospective Right to buy discount
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    Retrospective Right to buy discount 6th Jul 18 at 2:05 PM
    Bit of a unanswerable question maybe but maybe someone has an idea.
    Currently the bill passed in 2016 giving Housing association tennents the same right to buy rights/discount as Council Tennents. But still I cant do it. As they seem to have no idea to implement the process or when its even going to happen after having a failed 1 year trial period theyre having another one. so at Earliest 2019..............
    Since all that is available at present is The Right to Acquire which is basically the same thing but a much smaller discount.
    Right to Acquire Discount 9000
    Right to Buy Discount 40,000

If its law since 2016 would there be grounds for a future refund of what i should be legally entitled to now as i don't think I can afford to wait any longer(or for a possible 2019) as ive actually been waiting since 2015, followed the bill through and it passed in 2016 and been waiting since
Page 4
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 6th Jul 18, 11:05 PM
    • 2,715 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    da_rule
    simply No, i dont think im being unreasonable or trying to jump the cue. And tax will not come into it for me, once purchased, i will be still be on benefits with no return to work due to health and disablement. People are already lucky enough to be getting these and have in the previous 5 trial areas. Is it truely unreasonable for a person to say, well if they can , why cant i....... And question this to atleast someone in authority, And also to be told No, like you say and when told no. To still say Why not?
    Originally posted by WasntMeHonest
    I fear you missed the point. I wasn't saying you had to pay tax, I was using it as an example. Just because I know the law may be changing, even if I know when that new law comes into force and what it will say (which we don't with HA RTB), I cannot rely on it until it comes into force. There is no HA RTB law at this stage.

It is not unreasonable for a trial to be run. Trials are run on various schemes. For example, the NHS trials new treatments in some trusts but not in others in order in order to gauge whether they should be rolled out nationally. It would be unreasonable not to run a trial in this case. The government will essentially be forcing local authorities, who are already strapped financially, to dispose of high value properties and give some of the money to the government so that they can then subsidise the HA RTB. If the government did this without any evidence as to the likely costs (bearing in mind they will have to start building the cash pot before the first HA RTB completes) they would potentially face huge challenges. These challenges may take the form of Judicial Reviews, from local authorities who could argue that it is completely unreasonable to force a local authority to sell its own assets and then demand money based on no evidence showing how much would be needed.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 6th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    • 4,571 Posts
    • 6,590 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    If you ask a housing association if you can buy your property if right to acquire becomes law they will say yes. Just as generally speaking a council tenant has the right to buy. However these Housing Associations own 1000s of properties and they don't know exactly which one is which. It isn't until you actually submit an application to buy that you will find out if your property is one of the exempt ones because it is adapted for a disabled person.
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 11:10 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    da_rule
    The only different context is Money how i see it, Money is what it all boils down too at the end of the day. It does to them , it does to me, it does to you, it does to everyone. Quite clearly its all about money. Mps with genuine interests still objecting, Mps with no doubt no genuine interest/ undeclared dodgy hidden secret interest, s still objecting, the whole think stinks from top to bottom. As does the whole system that governs us. werent that long ago i got a rebate on his mistake they made with the 10's/100,000's of people under payed since 2012 benefits. They contacted me about it lol Anyway like i said i shall ask away to who i can, in some sort of authority and ask them. All be it probably wasted
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 6th Jul 18, 11:16 PM
    • 2,715 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    da_rule
    Money and the law is what it boils down to.

When a HA sells a house under RTA they get certain rebates to enable them to replace it.

If a housing association went outside of this (despite the fact that in doing so they would be breaking the law regarding the disposal of social housing) they would not be entitled to the rebates allowing them to replace it and provide housing to someone else who needs it.

And before you say it, I'm not saying or implying you don't need it, I'm just saying that if you take a house from their stock then it is only right that the HA be able to replace it.
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 11:17 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    cakeguts
    And it continues..... HAVENT I ALREADY STATED I HAVE ALREADY APPLIED FOR THE RIGHT TO ACQUIRE, BEEN GIVEN THEIR VALUATION, TOTAL PRICE, ETC THUS KNOWING FULL WELL ITS FOR SALE AND NOT ONE OF THESE ADAPTED PROPERTIES YOU KEEP REFERRING TOO. I HAVENT SIGNED OR AGREED YET AS I HAVE A SET TIME DATE TO DECIDE, WHICH FUNNY ENOUGH IS WHERE I AM AT NOW AND KEEP STATING DID I NOT?? SO YES THEY'LL SELL AND NO ITS NO GOING TO BE ONE OF THE LIST THAT THE WONT. I ASKED THIS STRAIGHT AWAY WITH MY INITIAL INQUIRY
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    da_rule
    And so do I Da_rule. I fully agree it should be replaced. But thats up to the dodgy mp's and others lurking in the wings ready to benefit hugely from. Not my issue , even though it actually some how is. You cant tell me that fat cats are already rubbing their hands somewhere, with i total disregard to replacing only lobbying and pushing their bit for money. Not morals like you and me. Yes replace them totally, but !!!! sake sort it out soon. All as crooked as each other the lot of them.

Sorry i did actually type F E @K trying not to too rude and its blanked it out lol I wasnt swearing Honest. lol
    wasntmehonest lol
    Last edited by WasntMeHonest; 06-07-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 6th Jul 18, 11:24 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    The answer to your question is no, you won't get any back pay and you won't be able to buy using right to buy until at least next year, could be the year after, when it's rolled out across England.

But the discount is worked out by the number of years you've been a tenant so unless you're already at the maximum discount, you'll be able to add a couple more years.
    Last edited by t0rt0ise; 06-07-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 6th Jul 18, 11:29 PM
    • 2,715 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    da_rule
    Well to be totally honest, the uptake on the voluntary RTB hasn't been overly positive from all accounts so it may well all be a moot point anyway as they may decide the best way to sort it out is scrap it in relation to HA's and keep the RTB law as it has been since 1980.

There are also lots of Council's lobbying to scrap RTB altogether in order to protect their stock and enable them to comply with their homelessness obligations.

No one is getting rich off of right to buy (except maybe the tenants who buy with a massive discount then sell it a few years later at full market value), it's not like these properties are owned by commercial landlords or private equity funds, they are owned by social housing providers, who are not allowed to make profits.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Jul 18, 11:45 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 19,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    Yeah your right, You should change your name to Mystic Meg, seeing as though you seem to know what is what isnt better for me.........................

Groundhog day indeed, same old same old, prejudging whats better for someone in your humble opinion you have no idea about or who i even am lolol All I am to you is a screen name
    and like wise you to me, to think your some great wise words of wisdom with !!!! just like that , Well, must stop typing for a sec, this 2nd, 3litre bottle of Diamond white super strength cider wont open itself. If only I followe your advice............ Then when i p~*s myself drunk, someone can came and clean me up. you might aswell close this post now as it goes, cause i could gladly continue my waffle all day long in response to general judgement of I might be better somewhere else. How do you know, Miss Meg??? Got next weeks lottery numbers by any chance?

That is literally incoherant babble. It's no wonder the HA won't engage in meaningful conversation with you. I hope you don't come across this way in real life, although I suspect you do.

If you are so tunnel visioned that you are right, I really am not sure why you are not engaging the services of a solicitor.

I do wonder why people post on forums if they only want peope to agree with them and say how hard done by they are. That's what friends are for.

Although I must thank you for keeping me entertained on a Friday night. Clearly you are bored as well.

At least we can know see where you are going to be spending your 'entitled discount' *hic*
    Last edited by mije1983; 06-07-2018 at 11:47 PM.

• WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 11:45 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    csgohan4
    Yes thank you im fully aware of the cost of new boiler or roof. Its also a good roof, solid boiler just serviced buy a fully qualified friend and its tip top thankyou. So your point being??? More waffle im affraid. Dont you think ive thought of that??? Dont you think id be considering the Right To Acquire offer if the roof or boiler was shoddy?? the answer is yes i already have and did. And surely thats no more a help to be honest. another mystic meg assuming i dont know this, havent thought about or I would jump straight in blindly.
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 11:53 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    mije1983
    Yep Crack , heroin , gambling prostitues and im going to grow an addiction to prescription drugs to feed the pharma market further. Infact sod it, im gunna blow the lot on online gambling and live in a cardboard box. It may well be waffle but quite frankly so are some of your pre judgemental comments. Hench the rediculously silly tone ive took from quite frankly early on after being told Someones hearts ache's for me , and i should be gratefull etc. where is the true help in any of that??? There isnt any....... da_rule on the other hand was extremely help to be fair, but by them i was already on one. More Mystic meg stuff lolol Why would i have the paper work sat on the dining room table ready to sign should i choose so, if the HA havent engaged in any meaning conversation you fool
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 11:55 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    mije1983
    your coming out with just as much waffle as me my friend, excuse lack of punctuation, i really cant be bothered
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Jul 18, 11:56 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 19,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    Yep Crack , heroin , gambling prostitues and im going to grow an addiction to prescription drugs to feed the pharma market further. Infact sod it, im gunna blow the lot on online gambling and live in a cardboard box. It may well be waffle but quite frankly so are some of your pre judgemental comments. Hench the rediculously silly tone ive took from quite frankly early on after being told Someones hearts ache's for me , and i should be gratefull etc. where is the true help in any of that??? There isnt any....... da_rule on the other hand was extremely help to be fair, but by them i was already on one. More Mystic meg stuff lolol Why would i have the paper work sat on the dining room table ready to sign should i choose so, if the HA havent engaged in any meaning conversation you fool
    Keep it coming please. I can't wait for the next installment

P.S. 'you fool'? Brilliant

• YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 7th Jul 18, 12:00 AM
    • 250 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Me - I live in Yorkshire, We get our water at discounted rates.
    You - I live in Wales but I want cheap water too.
    Me - You can't have it, it's for Yorkshire people only so far.
    You - But I want it cheap now. And a rebate.
    Me - It's only a trial, maybe you'll get it discounted if your area is a trial one next.
    You - But I want it now.
    Me - But you're not in a trial area.
    You - But the government said everyone should get cheap water.
    Me - It's only in a trial areas.
    You - But I've watched it on telly and read about it, and I want it now.
    Me - BUT YOU'RE NOT IN A TRIAL AREA.
    You - They've offered me discount, I just haven't signed or accepted yet. (#65)
    Me - Good for you. Accept it then.

This is turning into the thread about the guy who doesn't want to leave his family an unsellable flat.....
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Jul 18, 12:01 AM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 19,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    Me - I live in Yorkshire, We get our water at discounted rates.
    You - I live in Wales but I want cheap water too.
    Me - You can't have it, it's for Yorkshire people only so far.
    You - But I want it cheap now. And a rebate.
    Me - It's only a trial, maybe you'll get it discounted if your area is a trial one next.
    You - But I want it now.
    Me - But you're not in a trial area.
    You - But the government said everyone should get cheap water.
    Me - It's only in a trial areas.
    You - But I've watched it on telly and read about it, and I want it now.
    Me - BUT YOU'RE NOT IN A TRIAL AREA.
    You - They've offered me discount, I just haven't signed or accepted yet. (#65)
    Me - Good for you. Accept it then.

This is turning into the thread about the guy who doesn't want to leave his family an unsellable flat.....
    Originally posted by YoungBlueEyes

You missed out 'throws toys out of pram and insists everyone else is wrong' after every comment though.

• WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 7th Jul 18, 12:06 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    mije1983
    Just had a drunken vision my friend, Once ive gone all in on Sky Poker, oh no!! Shame on me for affording sky as a mere pleb. Im taking my Cardbox box and moving to Jaywick. Some thing is drawing me there. i feel a presence calling. My god, i think im Becoming Psychic, just like yourself. I could be Mystic Pleb, take over your know it all empire,
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 7th Jul 18, 12:09 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    mije1983
    You missed the Irish mate!!!
    Hose ban just or about to be introduced
    Ireland........ lolol An Island surrounded by water hahahahaha

My argument is abit like that. Why?

Id wanna know why , wouldnt you......................
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 7th Jul 18, 12:11 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    mije1983
    Its a Bungalow Mije1983 , ITS A BUNGALOW AND a very nice one at that, lovely huge garden. Nice 2 bedroom extension on the back wont go amiss, but hey you seem to know better Mystic Mije1983
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 7th Jul 18, 12:15 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    mije1983
    Get it right Mystic Mije, its a post about a guy whos buying a nice bungalow thats already more than sell able about some cr ap about my family or something. DONT BOTHER WITH NEXT WEEKS LOTTERY NUMBERS PAL AS YOUR OBVIOUSLY USELESS IN YOUR PREDICTIONS AND FACTS
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 7th Jul 18, 12:20 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    mije1983
    I do appreciate your attempt at humour with your wrongly self titled, man whos buy flat , but is really a bungalow, that on the open market would be snapped up in an instant but is some how worried my family or something with suffer if i cant sell it. Hold on a sec, Just clearing the Tumble weed that just rolled across the front room when reading your Funny (is that the right word) reply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,120Posts Today

7,816Users online

Martin's Twitter