Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Unoriginalusername
    • By Unoriginalusername 6th Jul 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    In need of help regarding benefits
    • #1
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:57 PM
    In need of help regarding benefits 6th Jul 18 at 1:57 PM
    Hi all, i hope i am posting in the right place.

    I am just about to graduate university and i've managed to get a job lined up as soon after I graduate. However, i need some help regarding benefits.

    I currently live with my disabled mother (who is in receipt of income related esa - support group and pip) and my student brother ( and I was/am a student) so we've been exempt from council tax and receive full housing benefit.

    I am about to start working (earning 23.5K) and I plan on living at home (to help my mother because of her health issues). I was wondering what am i expected to pay?

    Will i be expected to pay the full rent cost and council tax?
    also will my mothers ESA be affected by me working?
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Jul 18, 2:57 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 3,277 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • #2
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:57 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:57 PM
    Her ESA will not be affected.

    Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support would normally be affected.

    However because your Mum is in receipt of PIP It think a non-dependant deduction may not be applied to her HB.

    Here is more info :

    "No deduction is made from your housing benefit for a non-dependant if you or your partner receive:
    - the daily living component of personal independence payment (PIP)

    Is she receiving the daily living PIP component ?
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 06-07-2018 at 3:03 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Unoriginalusername
    • By Unoriginalusername 6th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    • #3
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    Hi, yes she is in receipt of the daily living component.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,377Posts Today

6,707Users online

Martin's Twitter