Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugarbabe84
    • By sugarbabe84 6th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 33Thanks
    sugarbabe84
    Places to find a bargain used car
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    Places to find a bargain used car 6th Jul 18 at 1:18 PM
    I’m looking for a used car with a budget of 6000.

My preference is a polo, with less than 30k miles and ideally 2015 reg onwards.

My first car was from an auction. It was 4K, 11k miles and only 2 years old. I had my brother going with me to the auction at that time and it was a bargain.

I have no one to go with me this time round and I have been on autotrader where I don’t see good deals. In any case, many of the car dealers selling on autotrader get their cars through auction.

I was wondering what other options there are online apart from autotrader?

I could go to the auction myself, but I worry that I will stick out like a sore thumb.

Oops just realised I’m in the wrong section!
    Last edited by sugarbabe84; 06-07-2018 at 1:20 PM.
Page 1
    • Nile
    • By Nile 6th Jul 18, 10:43 PM
    • 14,326 Posts
    • 14,277 Thanks
    Nile
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:43 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:43 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Motoring’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 6th Jul 18, 11:33 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:33 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:33 PM
    If you have time to go to a number of auctions, you might stick out less once you have seen how they work, how people dress and behave.

But I think your best option is either to find a bit more money (£500+ or relax your criteria slightly) and by at a VW Dealer, or find a Polo at a non-VW Franchise (one they have taken in part exchange). This might take a little work, but with the internet you won't need to go anywhere to find which dealers near you that have a Polo. You might start by trying to figure out which are the brands that people who have had a new Polo and don't like are most likely to trade up to/down from. e.g. Polo drivers are very unlikely to buy from a Jaguar dealership, but might from a Renault dealer, if the found the Polo's ride too firm.

You won't find any bargain Polos.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 6th Jul 18, 11:42 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:42 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:42 PM
    I was wondering what other options there are online apart from autotrader?

I could go to the auction myself, but I worry that I will stick out like a sore thumb.
    Originally posted by sugarbabe84

Why not post which city is close to where you live, so people can recommend a local car dealer?

• wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 7th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    Consider a car from other VAG brands, Seat Ibiza or Skoda Fabia are both similar to the Polo but may be a bit cheaper although not massively.

Have a look on eBay and Gumtree for private sales as well as your local free paper. If you aren't confident checking the car over in a private sale it could still be cheaper to arrange an inspection report by RAC or similar.
    • konark
    • By konark 8th Jul 18, 12:50 AM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    konark
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:50 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:50 AM
    Polos are rarely bargains, they seem to sell for a lot more than similar cars., god knows why.
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Jul 18, 6:15 AM
    • 9,659 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    missile
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:15 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:15 AM
    Polos are rarely bargains, they seem to sell for a lot more than similar cars., god knows why.
    Originally posted by konark
    Because some like them
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 8th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 12,676 Posts
    • 9,749 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    I think you're going to struggle to get a Polo with your criteria. If you're looking for one with the 1.2 tsi engine (which is a good un) then you can go older and with a bit of searching get one for near 6k and under 30000 miles.

On Autotrader I found one, a 1.2 TSI 105 SEL 5dr for £6500. 26k miles. In Knebworth. It's a 2010 model.

If you want to switch to Skoda you will get more recent, but even there 2015 is going to be a struggle.

Another option would be to drop down a model and look at an Up/Mii/Citigo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,957Posts Today

8,524Users online

Martin's Twitter