Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 33,319Posts
    • 39,289Thanks
    Browntoa
    Modern fiat 500 tailgate wiring repair kits
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Modern fiat 500 tailgate wiring repair kits 6th Jul 18 at 11:56 AM
    Known problem with fiat 500's is after a few years the wires start to snap due to regular opening and closing of the boot. Fiat dealer would replace the whole wiring loom for 1000's .

Had one where top brake light stopped working , then rear brake lights completely shorted causing fuse to blow on speedometer display after momentarily showing a stop-start error on the dash. So no brake lights , indicators or any speedometer display apart from when the headlights were turned on.

Purchased one of these , made in Germany not cheap Chinese tat !

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 162737220317

And got small local garage to fit and change fuse , everything back up working for 150 including parts.

Never get suckered by taking one into a main dealer for repairs.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 1
    • reddwarf2002
    • By reddwarf2002 6th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    reddwarf2002
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    Similar problem on the Mk5 Golf. Are these new problems created by cost savings or have they always been like this I wonder i.e. internet now making it easier to find problems?
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 6th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    No problems on my 18 yr-old hyundai tailgate.
    Did have problems with Rover Montego tailgate but only after about 12 years.

If they are designed properly so that the wire flexing is minimal and the wire is good quality then there won't be a problem.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 33,319 Posts
    • 39,289 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    Similar problem on the Mk5 Golf. Are these new problems created by cost savings or have they always been like this I wonder i.e. internet now making it easier to find problems?
    Originally posted by reddwarf2002
    The replacement uses flexible rubber and plastic , my old rubber gaiter was compressed in areas and rigid. I'm assuming costs are a factor and cheaper components are used. Seems to also affect fords , Audi and many others
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 6th Jul 18, 2:42 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:42 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:42 PM
    Originally posted by reddwarf2002

MK4 Golf also, 10 minutes with a soldering iron fixed it for me.

Makes me smile, my Austin A30 had a total of 3 wires going to the back of the car !
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 6th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    My A55 only had 2 fuses; a lot of stuff wasn't fused at all.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 33,319 Posts
    • 39,289 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    Update , in case any fiat 500 owners find this thread.

After the battery being disconnected for a day or so and the stop/start light on the dash being reset to clear the dash error it took a few days of driving before the stop/start was working again . But it's all ok now just be patient
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    • 33,319 Posts
    • 39,289 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    MK4 Golf also, 10 minutes with a soldering iron fixed it for me.

Makes me smile, my Austin A30 had a total of 3 wires going to the back of the car !
    Originally posted by caprikid1
    I got my brothers Morris marina working many years ago with some mains cable and a Haynes manual circuit diagram. The wiring between the alternator , control box and coil etc had burnt out . 10 minutes later it started first time , no way you could do that on a modern car !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,603Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin