Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 6th Jul 18, 11:46 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    jelly2018
    Advice Please: Local Parking Security
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:46 AM
    Advice Please: Local Parking Security 6th Jul 18 at 11:46 AM
    Hi everyone
    I received a parking ticket from Local Parking Security in Ashford, Surrey). After looking on this site and following the advice I have used the standard letter on the newbies thread which begins "I appeal and dispute your 'parking charge'..."

Today I received an email back, which I have copied below. But I'm not sure what to do now?? Sorry if I have missed this somewhere - is anyone able to help? Let me know if you need any more info with which to help.

Thank you in advance!

We advise that the Ashford car park now operates as pay and display system for all car park users. This is clearly stated on the signs located throughout the car park.

The Ashford Car Park operates on an ANPR basis therefore this picks up the vehicle registration entering and exiting the car park. This then calculates the amount of time spent in the car park.

We are aware that this is a one way system. Due to this we allow 10 minutes for vehicles to drive through the car park to the exit.

We advise that upon entering the car park a ticket should be purchased from the machines, entering your vehicle registration. This is will then communicate with our camera operated ANPR system

As no payment for parking was made/ ticket purchased, the notice to keeper was issued correctly

Please find attached our photographic evidence of your vehicle entering and exciting the car park.

The legal basis of the Parking Charge Notice is based on the contract entered by drivers who park on private land. The terms and conditions upon which the contract is based is clearly stated on all signage located throughout the car park. When parking on private land the motorist freely enters into an agreement to abide by the conditions for parking in return for permission to park, it is the motorists responsibility to ensure they abide by any clearly displayed conditions for parking.

Local Parking Security Ltd manages the car park on behalf of the landowners. The terms and conditions for parking including the parking charges applicable are clearly stated on the signs located throughout the car park. Confirmation of this will be provided to POPLA upon POPLA!!!8217;s request
    Thank you for your appeal against the parking charge notice issued by us to you on 26th June 2018 for the contravention that happened on the 20th June 2018. Having carefully considered the evidence provided by you we regret your appeal has been unsuccessful for the following reasons:

!!!8226; Failure to Pay for the Duration Of Stay

You now have a number of options:

1. Pay the parking charge Notice at the reduced amount of 60.00 within 14 days. Please note that after this time the parking charge notice will increase to 100.00.

2. Make an appeal to POPLA !!!8211; The independent Appeals Service by visiting <I removed URL here> and submitting your appeal online. Please note that if you wish to appeal to POPLA, you will lose the right to pay the charge at the discounted rate of 60.00, and should POPLA!!!8217;s decision not go in your favour you will be required to pay the full amount of 100.00. If you opt to pay the parking charge you will be unable to appeal to POPLA.

3. If you choose to do nothing we will seek to recover the monies owed to us via our debt recovery procedures and may proceed with Court action against you.

You have now reached the end of our internal appeals procedure.

If you wish to appeal to POPLA, please submit your appeal online by visiting
    <I removed link here>
    When submitting your appeal to POPLA, please use verification code
    Please note that you have 28 days from the date of this email to submit your appeal to POPLA.

By law we are also required to inform you that Ombudsman Services < removed link here> provides an alternative dispute resolution service that would be competent to deal with your appeal. However, we have not chosen to participate in their alternative dispute resolution service. As such should you wish to appeal then you must do so to POPLA, as explained above.

Yours Sincerely,
    Appeals Department
    Last edited by jelly2018; 06-07-2018 at 1:51 PM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 37,942 Posts
    • 22,054 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    What to do when the initial appeal fails is covered in the Newbies FAQ thread #3

Go there now to learn about how to deal with Popla appeals

Construct yours and post it here for comments before sending it
  • hap397
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:42 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:42 PM
    I would suggest editing your post to remove your POPLA code!
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 6th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    Whoops, thanks for pointing that out!
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 6th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    Ok, looks like I need to go and get some photos of the signage. Will report back - thanks for your help.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Jul 18, 1:59 PM
    • 63,875 Posts
    • 76,531 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:59 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 1:59 PM
    Was the PCN a windscreen one, not followed by any Notice to Keeper?

If so then you win on that basis and 'no NTK' and 'the appellant has not been shown to be the individual liable' are your first 2 POPLA points.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 6th Jul 18, 2:03 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:03 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:03 PM
    There was just a letter through the post - no notice left on the windscreen...
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Jul 18, 12:01 AM
    • 63,875 Posts
    • 76,531 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:01 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 12:01 AM
    OK, so did it arrive by day 15, and what was the wording lower down the NTK, where it talks (if it does) about if they do not know the name do the driver the registered keeper will be liable?

You can show the NTK to us if you take a pic (cover your name/address) and host the images of both sides of the PCN in Dropbox, then show us a BROKEN LINK as you can't post links yet.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 26th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    • 26th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    Hi Coupon-mad, sorry I am new round here so hadn't seen your response. I came back on as I have finally got to take some pictures of the car park so was going to write my POPLA appeal, based on the guidance on here. Sounds like you think another course of action might be best though? I have downloaded drop box and copied the links below - hopefully you can see them? What would you recommend as the next course of action?

dropbox.com/s/8pt29og1d37owo8/IMG_1177.JPG?dl=0
    dropbox.com/s/ltjooks91n96thh/IMG_1176.JPG?dl=0[/url]
    Last edited by jelly2018; 26-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 30th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    Urgent POPLA Appeal - feedback welcomed
    Hi Everyone,

I posted a little while ago after receiving a PCN from Local Parking Security - see my PCN below here:

dropbox.com/s/8pt29og1d37owo8/IMG_1177.JPG?dl=0
    dropbox.com/s/ltjooks91n96thh/IMG_1176.JPG?dl=0[/url]

I was advised to go back and take photos of the area where the charge was gained. This took a bit longer than expected (hence now urgent), but I've now done this and have put together a POPLA appeal letter using the Newbies Thread No.3. I have put my draft into Dropbox here:

dropbox.com/s/b1mkxfbewbr3v61/POPLA.docx?dl=0

I have edited the letter from the Newbies threat to make it relevant to my situation by adding in my own pictures and also:

1. Editing the bit about the NtK not being served in the right time frame - I believe it was. I'm assuming a NtK is the same as a PCN, though?

2. I haven't talked about insufficient grace period as the operator allows 10 minute grace period in this car park.

3. haven't mentioned about the photos not having a time and date stamp as they do.

I have until Wednesday 1 August to get my appeal in, so any quick feedback gratefully received! Thanks so much.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 30th Jul 18, 12:18 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 2,303 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Live links for you (after having checked you haven't inadvertently left personal details showing) : -
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pt29og1d37owo8/IMG_1177.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltjooks91n96thh/IMG_1176.JPG?dl=0[/url]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1mkxfbewbr3v61/POPLA.docx?dl=0
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 30th Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 11,038 Thanks
    KeithP
    Jelly2018, why have you started a second thread?

As this is a continuation of your existing saga, please PM a board guide and ask them to merge your threads.
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 30th Jul 18, 1:58 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    I did write on there first but no one replied and I was worried about missing the boat on my POPLA appeal as it is really close now.

I will do that, though hopefully all the information is readily available on this post now too.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 30th Jul 18, 6:14 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 2,303 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    As KeithP says, better on the original thread. Just send a PM to Crabman, Savvy or Soolin and ask them to merge your two thread - give them the thread numbers.
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 31st Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    Ok so I have asked them to merge the threads, but given this is the last day before my appeal time runs out I would like to concentrate on the POPLA appeal letter in my post above - there's been over 100 views but no feedback on the actual appeal letter.

I came to this site as it seemed like a really supportive community where if I was willing to put in the effort (which I feel I have) others would help support with my situation. I am feeling quite nervous as now push has come to shove I'm not getting any support/guidance on the appeal letter. I don't want to sound ungrateful, as I appreciate this is my problem not anyone else's, but at the same time I was lead to believe I would get support here so decided on this basis to appeal rather than just pay up.

So...any tips on my POPLA appeal letter....anyone?
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 1st Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    Thanks for all the help! Oh wait...
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 1st Aug 18, 9:30 AM
    • 20,238 Posts
    • 31,929 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Thanks for all the help! Oh wait...
    Originally posted by jelly2018
    Half the regulars haven't been on the forum for a number of days in a row which suggests they are away on holiday. The overall workload with a full complement of regulars is crippling on most days to review POPLA appeals and court defences in detail.

Spreading your case over more than one thread, so I'm reading this one with no context, jumping between 3x Dropbox attachments (one of which is sideways on), makes the effort to help much more difficult.

A sarky remark is just not called for, and is not welcome!

For what it's worth, I've skimmed over your appeal - without reading any context - and you seem to have all available angles boxed off.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 1st Aug 18, 11:28 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    I quite agree it is a lot of work, which is why I think it might be more helpful to manage people's expectations about the responses they could expect to receive from the forum. "We win 99% of claims" etc. is great, and really encouraged me to appeal as I felt I had backing from a supportive community on here. However, now I have lost my first appeal and waived my right to pay a lesser charge, there's been literally nothing in the way of support on this or my last thread.

I only started this thread as I got nothing back on the last one, and having been asked to merge them I have asked the moderators to do so. It would appear I don't know these unwritten norms about how to attach things in to drop box; what's wrong with three separate attachments? I can only apologise for the sideways letter . There seems to be a lot of assumptions from people who use this forum regularly that us newcomers know to abide by all these 'rules'.

I've seen other posters on here who seem to have barely read any of the information on the newbies threads get more support than I have, so hence my previous comment. I put the effort in and hoped that people would be more prepared to support as a result. Perhaps it's just bad timing with the summer period.

Anyway, I do appreciate you having ready over my letter so thank you for that. I shall keep my fingers crossed that my appeal is accepted.
    • jelly2018
    • By jelly2018 1st Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jelly2018
    ** I have now deleted my documents from dropbox as I have submitted my appeal so would not want anyone to waste their time reviewing them**
    Last edited by jelly2018; 01-08-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 1st Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 20,238 Posts
    • 31,929 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Hopefully you will succeed at POPLA. As you'll see from the following links, LPS aren't much good a this. Your appeal by itself might be just too much for them to handle and they'll not continue further (very small operator, I doubt they have a great back office resource to plough through and respond to lengthy appeals).

Even if you lose, the POPLA decision is not binding on you. There's no need to pay anything. Only a Judge can order that and I can't see this outfit wanting to spend more on court proceedings than they could possibly hope to recover in any costs awarded by a Judge.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74458391&postcount=3091

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74107396&postcount=2996

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73953037&postcount=2971

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5731266
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,428Posts Today

6,634Users online

Martin's Twitter