Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oleander
    • By Oleander 6th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Oleander
    How long can landlord wait before returning deposit
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    How long can landlord wait before returning deposit 6th Jul 18 at 11:06 AM
    Hi there

We moved out of a rented house almost 8 weeks ago and the landlord has not returned our deposit. We've emailed three times asking when they intend to do so and they've replied each time saying they are 'waiting for quotes' to fix some alleged damage.

We are of course happy to pay for any damage we are caused (which would be minor). But I'd have thought 7+ weeks was more than enough for quotes.

New tenants moved in there just days after we left.

I can't find any reference to a time limit, but what is a usual length of time to wait?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 6th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 653 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    More than 4 weeks is unreasonable. If the deposit is protected, look at the respective scheme website and start the dispute process to get your deposit returned
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Jul 18, 11:16 AM
    • 12,005 Posts
    • 13,830 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:16 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:16 AM
    Just follow the advice here:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/how_to_get_your_tenancy_deposit_back
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 6th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    Have you not asked to have a breakdown of what the LL is requesting quotes for. You do have a right to know.

If you are unhappy with the things that are proposed deductions make a claim with the deposit holding service

I believe you should have been notified within 30 days if there was the intention to withhold any of your deposit and the issues that related to.

Have you tried to request the deposit back via the deposit scheme it is held in?
    in S 40 T 64 F 60
    out S 58 T 66 F 73
    2017 -32
    • Oleander
    • By Oleander 6th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Oleander
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    Thanks everyone

We have asked the landlords what they are getting quotes for and they have mentioned three specific things, which we don't dispute, but it's unclear what else they are thinking of.

The money is held in a deposit scheme but we thought it better to agree with the landlord first.

The landlords have never contacted us proactively, but have replied to emails we have sent them with vague assurances that it would be resolved 'soon'.

I think we'll send one more email and if no satisfaction, take it up with the deposit protection service.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 6th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    Three emails was plenty. Go straight to the protection service now. It's not like doing so is cheating the landlord or applying undue pressure, it's standard process...
    • Smi1er
    • By Smi1er 6th Jul 18, 12:45 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Smi1er
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:45 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:45 PM
    As a LL if I was getting some damage repaired it would be done before the new tenants moved in
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 6th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    As a LL if I was getting some damage repaired it would be done before the new tenants moved in
    Originally posted by Smi1er
    The LL doesn't have to repair the damage. He can spend the money claimed from the tenants deposit down the pub if he wants to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin