Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kangarooster9
    • By Kangarooster9 6th Jul 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kangarooster9
    Last home owner using address to default on payments
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:57 AM
    Last home owner using address to default on payments 6th Jul 18 at 10:57 AM
    Hi guys!

I need a little bit of advice on whether there is anything I can do about the situation I am in.

I bought my house in cash (so no mortgage) in August, the previous owner was not happy about selling but was in debt, she did things like trash the house before I moved in, destroyed the gardens, told the neighbours I was young and so would be a neusense etc, but now she’s causing more problems.

When I moved in for the first 2-3 months I got all of her mail, like 10+ letters per week, that finally stopped, but this month I’ve accidentally opened a couple of letters (assuming they were mine as I haven’t had any of hers in months!) and she’s setting up brand new phone contracts for this address and the not making payments, she’s also setting up housing benefit etc for my address.

I recently tried to go for a promotion at work which required a very in-depth credit check... and I failed because there is “debt on the property” and now I’m worried that her idiot actions are now impacting on my house?

Is there anything I can do about this?
Page 1
    • Grezz24
    • By Grezz24 6th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Grezz24
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    call the companies the letters are from and explain that the old owner left on X date and request they stop sending you mail as she no longer lives here.

Check your credit references yourself as you may have something on your file you are not aware of as from my understanding debt inst assigned to a house its assigned to person (happy to be corrected here).
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 6th Jul 18, 11:04 AM
    • 5,509 Posts
    • 7,497 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:04 AM
    Your credit file is yours, not the address you live at.

Check your credit reports to see if theres anything on there that shouldnt be.

If the accounts are in her name, it shouldnt effect your credit report.

Any post you get for her just return to sender stating 'not at this address'. Anyone who wants their money will find her soon enough.
    Don't be angry!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 6th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 6,888 Posts
    • 6,808 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    ...and she’s setting up brand new phone contracts for this address and the not making payments,
    Originally posted by Kangarooster9
    Now you've opened the letters, you can call the phone companies and say it looks like there's been a mistake, because they've sent letters to your address for somebody who no longer lives there.

also setting up housing benefit etc for my address.
    Phone the housing benefits department, and again say that there seems to be some confusion/mistake - because the person no longer lives there.

I recently tried to go for a promotion at work which required a very in-depth credit check... and I failed because there is “debt on the property”...
    That sounds unlikely. A credit search shouldn't return details of anybody else's debts. Maybe ask at work for more specific details.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 6th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 5,586 Thanks
    anselld
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:50 PM

I recently tried to go for a promotion at work which required a very in-depth credit check... and I failed because there is “debt on the property” and now I’m worried that her idiot actions are now impacting on my house?
    Properties don't have debts, people do. There is no such thing as "debt on the property" other than the normal secured mortgage or loan which you would obviously be aware of anyway.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 6th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    • 9,510 Posts
    • 14,636 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:56 PM

Your boss is blagging you!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 6th Jul 18, 11:19 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 2,423 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:19 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:19 PM
    I have heard of people who live together being financially linked on credit reports. Obviously if they think that this other person lives with you then the credit scoring companies may think you are somehow linked.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 6th Jul 18, 11:33 PM
    • 59,781 Posts
    • 53,121 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:33 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:33 PM

Don't believe everything you read.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 7th Jul 18, 6:31 AM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 5,586 Thanks
    anselld
    • 7th Jul 18, 6:31 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 6:31 AM
    I have heard of people who live together being financially linked on credit reports.
    Originally posted by da_rule
    Only if they have a joint account of some sort.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 4,880 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    csgohan4
    forward the address of the vendor to the people she has owed money too, karma bites back,
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 7th Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 3,721 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I bought my house in cash (so no mortgage)

<snip>

I failed because there is “debt on the property”

Have you checked that the previous mortgage has been properly removed? It still shouldn't show in your name, but previous owner sounds dodgy so I'd get the LR deeds as well as run extensive credit checks in your name just to be sure...
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,623Posts Today

5,096Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin