Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davidthomasflounders
    • By davidthomasflounders 6th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davidthomasflounders
    0 WOW
    Car Hire Claim
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    0 WOW
    Car Hire Claim 6th Jul 18 at 10:56 AM
    I have been charged on two occasions for damage to a wheel on a hire car. The first time the hire company retained the cost of a new wheel from the deposit (around 600 they said). I could have no argument on that occasion as the damage was obvious , but I hadn't identified it on pick-up and so I accepted this. The second time, yesterday, the damage was almost impossible to see, Practicaly invisible, unless you knew exactly where to look, which the company representative did immediatly when I returned the car. If, as I suspect, I recieve a claim for a new, replacement,wheel, can I claim ownership of the old wheel to sell on and reclaim some of my outgoings?
Page 1
    • slinga
    • By slinga 6th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    slinga
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    Spotting damage at rental companies is becoming such a scam these days imo.
    I got caught last year with damage to the plastic wheel hub.
    It was below a large scratch/dent on the rear corner of the bodywork which I picked up when picking up the car. But the car was in such an awkward position that I didn't see the scratch on the wheel hub.
    Now for me the bodywork and wheelhub scratches/dent were done at the same time and the rental company knew this but I had to pay 40 for a new plastic wheel hub cover. I had excess insurance from elsewhere but didn't bother claiming.
    These days I wonder if it's worth just taking the excess insurance out with the rental company and then no worries. Just a higher initial cost.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    Spotting damage at rental companies is becoming such a scam these days imo.
    I got caught last year with damage to the plastic wheel hub.
    It was below a large scratch/dent on the rear corner of the bodywork which I picked up when picking up the car. But the car was in such an awkward position that I didn't see the scratch on the wheel hub.
    Now for me the bodywork and wheelhub scratches/dent were done at the same time and the rental company knew this but I had to pay 40 for a new plastic wheel hub cover. I had excess insurance from elsewhere but didn't bother claiming.
    These days I wonder if it's worth just taking the excess insurance out with the rental company and then no worries. Just a higher initial cost.
    Originally posted by slinga
    I'm not sure if any of that had anyone to do with the question that the OP posed.
    In addition, your decision to not reclaim the 40 paid, from your excess car hire insurance policy and subsequent thought of paying perhaps up to 20 a day for the car hire excess waiver is just bizarre. Especially on a website dedicated to saving money, not capitulating.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    I have been charged on two occasions for damage to a wheel on a hire car. The first time the hire company retained the cost of a new wheel from the deposit (around 600 they said). I could have no argument on that occasion as the damage was obvious , but I hadn't identified it on pick-up and so I accepted this. The second time, yesterday, the damage was almost impossible to see, Practicaly invisible, unless you knew exactly where to look, which the company representative did immediatly when I returned the car. If, as I suspect, I recieve a claim for a new, replacement,wheel, can I claim ownership of the old wheel to sell on and reclaim some of my outgoings?
    Originally posted by davidthomasflounders
    Is there a car hire excess policy involved here? If not, why not?
    • slinga
    • By slinga 6th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    slinga
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    Is there a car hire excess policy involved here? If not, why not?
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    I'm not sure if any of that had anyone to do with the question that the OP posed.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 7th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    Originally posted by slinga
    Actually, yes, it did.
    It would be the difference between him being able to claim the wheel or the insurance company. but then he should be prepared for the hire car company's charges for the car being out of service(if they haven't already been added).

No need for your childishness.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,360Posts Today

7,854Users online

Martin's Twitter