Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geordieshaun
    • By geordieshaun 6th Jul 18, 10:51 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    geordieshaun
    Universal Credit Confusion
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:51 AM
    Universal Credit Confusion 6th Jul 18 at 10:51 AM
    Hi all,

A little help please, I'm hoping this is just a mix up?

I was recently made redundant with my last day at work being 22/05 due to my employer going into liquidation.

I received my final payment for my last month's work on the 23/05.

I made my claim for universal credit on 31/05, claiming from 23/05.

I was due to be paid my first universal credit payment today but have been advised that because I have earned 982 wages this assessment period (31/05 - 29/06) I'm not entitled to anything. The date on my wage slip is 31/05, I have a letter from the insolvency service stating my last day at work was 22/05 and a bank statement showing my last wages on 23/05.

Now I'm panicking because I have rent, bills to pay etc

I'm hoping this is wrong, I have to take another bank statement in for May to show my last wage.

Thanks for any help

Shaun
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 6th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    If you look at your Personal Tax Account on gov.uk I think this shows the RTI information your employer has sent to HMRC and this is used for Universal Credit purposes.

Entitledto website states,

How much Universal Credit you actually get in any month will be based on the amount of earnings in the RTI system, so it's important it's correct.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 11,809 Posts
    • 13,675 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    If they won't budge after showing them your bank statement then you can ask for an advance payment of UC. This can be paid in up to 52 weeks.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/get-advance-payment/
    • huckster
    • By huckster 7th Jul 18, 7:48 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:48 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:48 AM
    As long as you can prove the the wages were received prior to starting your UC claim, then UC should remove the wages from the calculation.

Your problem may be that the employer has told HMRC, you got paid on 31/05. Hopefully the Bank statements will confirm the correct situation, that you were paid on 23/05.

Just make sure that you ask UC to send their RTI team the Bank statements, as otherwise if the RTI just check the data with HMRC, it is likely to show the 31/05 as when you got paid. They would then reject your challenge based on data. Obviously Bank statements are key, but also wage slip showing Bank account Sortcode you use for wages, so they can make sure same as statements.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • geordieshaun
    • By geordieshaun 10th Jul 18, 11:05 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    geordieshaun
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:05 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:05 AM
    Thank you for the replies.

I've been into the jobcentre this morning and handed in my wage slip, redundancy letter stating my last day of work was 22/05 and bank statements for May showing that my last wage was received on 23/05.

The guy in the jobcenre didn't really seem to know if this would resolve the situation but he has escalated my case and promised I shall hear back today.

So I shall wait and see.

Even if they still beleive I've been paid up until the 31/05 surely they should have told me this and changed the 1st day of my claim to the 01/06 then at least I'd have had housing benefit etc for june.

The system just seems a mess and can't speak to anyone that knows what is happening. They can't even tell me which information they've used to calculate the first payment period.

Anyway, hopefully they'll sort it out today fingers crossed.

Shaun
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 11th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    You can see what information has been used to calculate your first payment on your account in the payment statement.

If earnings have been taken into account they were reported as being paid to you within you first assessment period, which you already know as you've said the reported date was 31/05.

Ultimately this is your employers error. It should be resolved for you now you've provided evidence it's incorrect.

They have no power what so ever to alter claim dates, outside of backdating decisions made within current legislation.

The staff in the Jobcentre don't deal with payments. It's your case manager who will be dealing with this and you can contact them using your journal and the payments option, or phone from the number you've declared on your account.
    • geordieshaun
    • By geordieshaun 16th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    geordieshaun
    • 16th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    • 16th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    Well, they've just put a message in my journal saying that the original desision was correct and they won't be recalculating the first payment.

Surely this is wrong, I've provided proof that my wages were paid in on 23/05 Well before I made the claim for UC. I'm unsure of where to go from here.

I suppose I need to somehow have the info on HMRC corrected?

Shaun
    • huckster
    • By huckster 16th Jul 18, 10:18 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    • 16th Jul 18, 10:18 PM
    • 16th Jul 18, 10:18 PM
    You have prove with documents that the earnings were paid to you, before the UC claim was started.

UC would have checked the data feed info from HMRC and this shows that the employers advised HMRC you were paid during the UC claim.

Get the employers to file a correction, send you a letter confirming the payment information and provide this to the Job Centre with Bank statements for the period.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • speedfreek1000
    • By speedfreek1000 17th Jul 18, 8:15 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    speedfreek1000
    • 17th Jul 18, 8:15 AM
    • 17th Jul 18, 8:15 AM
    You just need to prove the date it was actually paid.

See here for details on the regulations https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/12740/

Big issue you will have is that DWP staff seam not to understand their own regulations so......

If you haven't already lodge a Mandatory Reconsideration, then appeal plus it might be a good idea to try and find a local advice agency + contact your MP for help + lodge a complaint with the DWP.

Shame they don't include a tribunal reference but that link gives you a good place to start and the argument you need.
    • geordieshaun
    • By geordieshaun 17th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    geordieshaun
    Yeah, I've already took back statements in and my redundancy letter saying my last day was 22/05. My case manager has looked at it twice and both times has said that the calculation is correct. Both times I've advised that the payment was made to be me before I made my claim for UC, but both times they have failed to acknowledge my bank statement that clearly shows my last wages went into the back on 23/06.

The company I worked for has now been liquidated but I did speak to the accountant who did payroll for them, who advised that they cannot change the info on HMRC as the company is closed. They wouldn't acknowledge that they'd notified HMRC late either...

I sent my local MP an email last night explaining the situation and they have called me this morning and said they will look into it for me.

I've also been into the job centre who have told me that my case manager is wrong and that the wages should not have been used in the calculation. They've sent a message to the case manager again and said I should hear back by end of day tomorrow.

My case manager has obviously just checked the wages figure against what they've used to calculate payment of UC rather than check the date I was paid as I have advised multiple times....

Hopefully my case manager will be retrained as they clearly haven't a clue what they're doing.

With any luck it'll be sorted by end of day tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,535Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin