Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sandyk01
    • By sandyk01 6th Jul 18, 10:31 AM
    • 42Posts
    • 5Thanks
    sandyk01
    Adding a new en-suite
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:31 AM
    Adding a new en-suite 6th Jul 18 at 10:31 AM
    Hi,
    Looking at buying a house and like the look of this however we would like an en-suite upstairs- any thoughts on layout changes upstairs to add this in? Not sure if it can be done with where the bathroom is currently and the size of the rooms etc?

See image of floor plan:
    http://tinypic.com/r/28rpl4x/9

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 6th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    TamsinC
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    where is the water downstairs? Under the bathroom? Those bedrooms are quite small already not sure it's worth it - you could potentially put one in where the wardrobe is but then you would need a wardrobe for your clothes. Personally I've never really seen the point of ensuite - why trap bathroom smells and steam in the bedroom with you? Our new house has an ensuite - hubby is already banned from doing no 2s in it and we haven't even moved in. Luckily it's a large ensuite so showers aren't banned -yet! The 2nd bedroom has a teeny tiny ensuite and I really dont see the point, claustrophobic, dark (no window) and cramped. I feel thats what yours would end up like. Would it really end up adding value?
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 6th Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    • 5,736 Posts
    • 7,874 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    Ensuite with toilet and basin doesnt take up much room. A shower will need more space.

You can get a product call a macerator (i like to call it a **** (poo) shredder). Which means you can use smaller waste pipes so you dont have to mess about with a 4" waste pipe. It requires an electrical connection.

So in theory you should be able to put an ensuite where you want it.

To me it would only make sense to have an ensuite in the master bedroom. Between bed 2 and master bedroom seems the most logical place to me. If the wall is not structural you could take bits out of each room to minimise the impact on reducing the sizes. If it is, you could still do it but it will cost more.

So you should be able to do it, its just a case of if its value for money.
    Don't be angry!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 6th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 4,580 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    There is absolutely no sense in putting in an en-suite in that house - it's simply too small. You will incur costs in doing so, and reduce the value of the place when you come to sell it.

Put a bucket in one of the wardrobes of the master bedroom and pee in that to realise what a silly idea this is.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 6th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    It may just be possible if you were to take some space from the master and some from bedroom 2.

However what you would end up with is an average sized double room as the master bedroom and what amounts to 3 large singles for the other rooms.

I assume its a reasonably new house,I'm sure if the developer thought they could economically squeeze in an ensuite at the time it was built they would have
    in S 39 T 64 F 60
    out S 58 T 66 F 73
    2017 -32
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 6th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    Do you need 4 beds?

If not, knock some walls and move the bathroom to where bed4 is, then use the remaining space to enlarge bed3 and add en-suite to it. This way your pipes won't have to move.

Squeezing the already small bedrooms to add en-suite is crazy IMHO
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 6th Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    I would look to move the wall between Bed2 and the Master bedroom back to so that it is in line with the top wall of the airing cupboard. You will either need to remove the airing cupboard (AC), or do away with the built in wardrobes. Removing the airing cupboard is really only practical if you have a combi boiler and there is no cylinder in the AC; the only other option to relocate it is to move the cylinder to the attic. You might also want to consider moving the boiler to the attic if you are going to this much trouble. Doing away with the AC would allow you to keep 3 out of the 4 built-in wardrobes.

I would suggestt that the ensuite ensuite should not be square but be oblong with a corner cut off to maximise space in the bedroom. You could consider having the door to the new ensuite open into the bedroom (and not the ensuite) to minimise the space needed in the ensuite. Also consider quadrant shower trays, electric showers (unless you have and can retain the hot water cylinder) and corner toilets. If you do put the ensuite so it backs onto Bed 2, you should also factor in the cost of acoustic insulation so that the occupant of Bed 2 isn't woken when you flush the loo or take a shower.

This is quite a big job, but if you have three children, aged 8-13 I think that you personally would get the return on the investment. I don't think it will detract from the house's value if the job is done carefully.
    • sandyk01
    • By sandyk01 6th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sandyk01
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    Thank you all for your extremely helpful replies. The house itself is beautiful and downstairs has much more space. Will need to weigh up the costs/added value etc. We don't have kids at the moment but intend to stay here for awhile and start a family.

Thank you all!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 26,027 Posts
    • 70,296 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    There is absolutely no sense in putting in an en-suite in that house - it's simply too small. You will incur costs in doing so, and reduce the value of the place when you come to sell it.

Put a bucket in one of the wardrobes of the master bedroom and pee in that to realise what a silly idea this is.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    It's what I do all day long and I wouldn't do it in that house unless I was happy with a three bed. The room sizes are compromised as it is. An ensuite is supposed be a luxury. Squeezing around beds, losing storage, having doors opening onto beds and showering in what feels like a phone box etc is not a luxury.

It won't add value either.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 6th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    seashore22
    Do you have a downstairs loo and could that be turned into a shower room? It's what we did with a previous house as we wanted 2 bathrooms, but didn't have space for an ensuite.

I'm one of those weird people who doesn't like ensuites. I don't like having so much humidity virtually in my bedroom and prefer more space between me and the loo. Both my husband and I will get up to go to the loo in the middle of the night and it's more likely that we can do that without disturbing the other person if we use the main bathroom. I do like having two bathrooms/shower rooms though and it is the only thing I would change about our current house. It only has a main bathroom and a downstairs loo.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 6th Jul 18, 2:00 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    AlexMac
    I'd avoid both a macerator (we once lived below one- sounds terrible) or losing a bedroom; no matter how small, bedrooms are waht determines the value of a house in this country.

As you're thinking long term / family, is there potential to extend? Your floorplan shows windows on three sides so I assume you're semi-detached? Although as someone said above the rooms are so small that it implies a new build so there may be restrictions imposed by the developer?

Mates of mine installed one of the tiny cabin ensuites; an integrated, moulded shower/wetroom/ toilet cubicle the size of a wardrobe... but it leaked!

So as and when it becomes necessary , take a ruthless look at the relative costs and benefits of converting or extending and staying put - versus - moving; perhaps to an older, bigger house in need of TLC or with space to extend back, up or sideways?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Jul 18, 2:22 PM
    • 5,152 Posts
    • 3,277 Thanks
    csgohan4
    will a macerator work if your severely constipated? I couldn't imagine the noise it would make be quiet
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • sandyk01
    • By sandyk01 6th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sandyk01
    Thank you all for your helpful suggestions- I agree in that I wouldn't want to lose a bedroom.

Its a detached property with an integrated double garage. It's an 70's build I think so not new at all.

It's been on the market for quiet awhile and has had the price slashed 5 times! It's in a very good location with good schools around.

It's always difficult to balance buying a really nice house within budget in a not so good area- or buying a not so good house in a great area!

Heres the link to the house: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71093045.html
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 6th Jul 18, 3:17 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    TamsinC
    If I was going to do anything I'd extend out over the garage and create a master ensuite there.

And always go for the good location
    • sandyk01
    • By sandyk01 6th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sandyk01
    Thanks- I think that's most definitely an option- although we aren't sure if the foundations are deep enough for a double storey extension- we think the neighbor did a loft conversion rather than extending above the garage because of the foundations!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 6th Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 4,580 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    For what reason do you actually think you need one? As well as size, the layout of the bedrooms means the loo is basically the same distance from each of the rooms, so it's not as if anyone's got much further to do in the middle of the night. Plus there's a loo downstairs should there be any simultaneous calls on the facilities, day or night; and, if the floorplan is to be believed, it might be possible to get a shower cubicle in that space under/round the stairs on the ground floor.

I honestly feel there is genuinely no need for an en suite in this property.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 6th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    need an answer
    Having seen the pictures I am convinced you couldn't lose any bedrrom space.

Whats interesting is that there isn't even a pic of bed 4 I don think, but there are 2 pics of one of the other bedrooms from different angles.

Apart from the master room,the others have been photographed with single beds in.

Maybe that's how the current occupier uses them for children but it does give the impression the rooms are huge and true doubles.
    in S 39 T 64 F 60
    out S 58 T 66 F 73
    2017 -32
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 7th Jul 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Now you've told us where it is it seems a good buy; but I wouldn't bank on being able to get planning permission for a two-storey side extension, (whether by building over or demolishing and starting afresh) as no other house in the street seems to have done this and many properties are only one-storey bungalows. But maybe worth a chat with a Planning Duty Officer who might give you a steer.

Check the council website and the national Planning Portal, but I'm sure 2 storey extensions are outside "Permitted Developement" so would require a Plan App.

How about converting some or all the garage space? I did this recently without Planning Permission but did get Building Regs approvals; all they wanted was beefed up foundations where the up and over door was replaced by brickwork and a window, plus lots more insulation. We did a very high spec conversion to a habitable room with an en-suite, involving lots of moving underground plumbing and soilpipes as a shared sewer runs below the garage, for less than 18k... And you, like us, have a driveway for the motor...?
    Last edited by AlexMac; 07-07-2018 at 9:31 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter