Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    • 7,858Posts
    • 14,139Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Thieves taking advantage of warm weather
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    Thieves taking advantage of warm weather 6th Jul 18 at 8:38 AM
    Woke up to read on FB that two of my friends were broken in last night. One had an iPad and the other, her purse.

Both live 5-6 miles away and both of the thieves (doubt they the same thieves) went through open downstairs windows.

Asking everyone to keep downstairs doors and windows locked before they go to bed. Though it's difficult for those living in bungalows and ground floor flats plus those who have pets that sleep downstairs.

My parents always lock every downstairs window and door before they go to bed, even in this weather
Page 2
    • Ames
    • By Ames 6th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 17,550 Posts
    • 30,930 Thanks
    Ames
    I live in a ground floor flat and I keep the tippler windows (small ones at the top) open all the time. For someone to burgle me they'd have to train a cat/small dog/hamster to do the dirty work for them, so they deserve anything they can get for going to so much trouble.

I am a bit concerned about security though, I've been thinking about getting a video doorbell but I'm worried someone will nick it!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    • 14,769 Posts
    • 19,988 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I live in a ground floor flat and I keep the tippler windows (small ones at the top)
    Originally posted by Ames
    Funny how they have different names in different part of the country. I would call that a hopper.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 38,595 Posts
    • 142,715 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Funny how they have different names in different part of the country. I would call that a hopper.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    And we alsways called them the fanlights!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Jul 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Another hazard is

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/977564/london-news-fox-attack-woman-sleep-rabies-danger

The fox attacked on Sunday at 5.30am, and it is believed to have sneaked in the ground floor flat in Clapham, South West London, through a door left open on the patio.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 14,769 Posts
    • 19,988 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Even if that is true, I'm not particularly bothered about the 1 in 60 million chance that it could happen to me too.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 6th Jul 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    Lorian
    two-zone (or more) alarm system, so you can turn on just the downstairs breakglass/PIRs when you go to bed is the way to go.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Jul 18, 9:00 PM
    • 6,208 Posts
    • 20,381 Thanks
    indesisiv
    And we alsways called them the fanlights!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I live in a ground floor flat and I keep the tippler windows (small ones at the top) open all the time.
    See here is me that just calls them the little windows
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Jul 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Even if that is true, I'm not particularly bothered about the 1 in 60 million chance that it could happen to me too.
    It did happen a year or two ago when a baby in a pram was bitten. 27 million homes in the UK so more like 1 in 13.5 million

Last edited by coffeehound; 06-07-2018 at 9:03 PM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jul 18, 9:17 PM
    • 38,595 Posts
    • 142,715 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Chris Packham said it was because humans feed,the foxes, so themfoxes associate humans with easy food and lose their fear of them, eventually venturing into the houses.

He recommended not leaving food for them and not trying to 'tame' them, or encourage them to come closer.

As a result, when I have foxes in my garden, I try to make sure they don't lose their fear of me.

Do native foxes here have rabies?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Sounds good advice.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 6th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 11,518 Posts
    • 21,219 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I am a bit concerned about security though, I've been thinking about getting a video doorbell but I'm worried someone will nick it!
    If the base unit has a memory card, at least you may be able to see who took it!

I'd rather be eccentric than egocentric
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Jul 18, 10:10 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 6,503 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Why would you leave your downstairs windows open when you have gone to bed? That's just asking to be broken into in my opinion.

Then again I only have them open if I am in, if I was in the garden for the afternoon or something I would shut them onto the latches at least.

ETA: Most common occurrence in hot weather are people just walking in through open back doors and taking handbag, phone, laptop etc.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    If it's really hot you need to leave windows open to let the cool night air in so that the room gets less hot the next day, nt wide enough to let someone in, obviously. That's one of the benefits of having shutters.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 6,503 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Chris Packham said it was because humans feed,the foxes, so themfoxes associate humans with easy food and lose their fear of them, eventually venturing into the houses.

He recommended not leaving food for them and not trying to 'tame' them, or encourage them to come closer.

As a result, when I have foxes in my garden, I try to make sure they don't lose their fear of me.

Do native foxes here have rabies?
    I doubt that we would have had pet quarantine regulations for years if they did.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Jul 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    coffeehound
    There have been bats with rabies in the UK, don't know if anything else has(?)
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jul 18, 10:39 PM
    • 14,769 Posts
    • 19,988 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    It did happen a year or two ago when a baby in a pram was bitten. 27 million homes in the UK so more like 1 in 13.5 million

Originally posted by coffeehound
    But only one person bitten, so more like 1 in 60 million or 1 in 120 million if it only happens every two years.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 6th Jul 18, 10:52 PM
    • 17,550 Posts
    • 30,930 Thanks
    Ames
    Putting the definition was almost an afterthought, I thought everyone called them that.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Jul 18, 7:57 AM
    • 38,595 Posts
    • 142,715 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Putting the definition was almost an afterthought, I thought everyone called them that.
    I thought that everyone called them fanlights!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Jul 18, 2:15 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 6,503 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I thought that everyone called them fanlights!
    Me too!....
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 6,503 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    There have been bats with rabies in the UK, don't know if anything else has(?)
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    They've only found 26 bats with rabies in over 30 years - it isn't a problem and doesn't affect the UK's rabies free status.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 8th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Bats are getting wiped out.White-nose syndrome has killed more than a million bats in the past four years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin