Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    • 7,768Posts
    • 13,987Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Thieves taking advantage of warm weather
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    Thieves taking advantage of warm weather 6th Jul 18 at 8:38 AM
    Woke up to read on FB that two of my friends were broken in last night. One had an iPad and the other, her purse.

Both live 5-6 miles away and both of the thieves (doubt they the same thieves) went through open downstairs windows.

Asking everyone to keep downstairs doors and windows locked before they go to bed. Though it's difficult for those living in bungalows and ground floor flats plus those who have pets that sleep downstairs.

My parents always lock every downstairs window and door before they go to bed, even in this weather
Page 1
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 19,793 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    Why would you leave your downstairs windows open when you have gone to bed? That's just asking to be broken into in my opinion.

Then again I only have them open if I am in, if I was in the garden for the afternoon or something I would shut them onto the latches at least.

ETA: Most common occurrence in hot weather are people just walking in through open back doors and taking handbag, phone, laptop etc.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    • 7,768 Posts
    • 13,987 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    Also my parents keep the side gate locked when not using it. Only gets unlocked when watering the tubs on the front and taking the rubbish and recycling to top of drive the night before bin day.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 63,232 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    Leaving downstairs windows open at night is practically an open invitation to burglars!

We live in a bungalow and always have our bedroom window open: it is at the back which is inaccessible, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 63,215 Posts
    • 370,221 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    I shut my windows and lock my doors even before I go to the loo in daylight hours! I can think of nothing worse than hearing the sound of somebody entering the house ... while I'm unable to deal with it! Even a delivery driver's "Hello? Anybody in?" when you've your knickers round your ankles doesn't work.

My gates are locked unless I am expecting a delivery/person.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 15,279 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    I have just come in from the garden at the back of the house where I was picking fruit for about 15 minutes and the front door was standing open so that the dog could go out if he wanted - nothing got stolen.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.3
    Total so far - 2160.3
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 6th Jul 18, 9:31 AM
    • 5,628 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    davetrousers
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:31 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:31 AM
    I have just come in from the garden at the back of the house where I was picking fruit for about 15 minutes and the front door was standing open so that the dog could go out if he wanted - nothing got stolen.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id

Now try it overnight

• Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 6th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 57,780 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    I leave my windows open downstairs during the day when I'm pottering about but I always remove anything valuable from sight such as my phone. They're welcome to the 12 year old TV tho with it's damaged screen.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 15,279 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    Now try it overnight
    Originally posted by davetrousers
    Door is open all day when I'm at home and I regularly go upstairs or out back but why would I want to go out back at night?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.3
    Total so far - 2160.3
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jul 18, 9:48 AM
    • 14,404 Posts
    • 19,286 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Now try it overnight
    Originally posted by davetrousers
    When I lived near the centre of Wolverhampton, the front door, three steps up from the pavement, got left wide open from Friday morning to Monday evening and absolutely nothing untoward happened.

Luck has a lot to do with it. Leaving a door or window open won't automatically lead to a theft.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 6th Jul 18, 10:41 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 3,665 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    It happens every year, every time we have a hot spell.

The trouble is that insurance companies won't pay out if it's down to the householder's negligence.

Tbh, anyone who leaves a downstairs window open when they go to bed is asking for trouble.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Jul 18, 10:43 AM
    • 63,215 Posts
    • 370,221 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    There was somebody on MSE about 10 years ago that said their dad had taken the dog out for an early morning walk and the house was robbed while the poster and her mum were still in bed upstairs.

I always lock my door behind me if I'm gardening at the front.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Jul 18, 10:46 AM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 63,232 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We also keep front and side doors locked. A former colleague was gardening, in her front garden. She stood up in time to see a youth run out of her house with her handbag. Easily done.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 6th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 14,204 Posts
    • 55,276 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I don't leave any windows open at night but during the day, especially in this warmer weather, the patio doors from the conservatory to the back garden are left open all the time, even when I'm working out the front.

I do have a burglar alarm called Bailie though, she goes garrity if anyone comes anywhere near the house. In fact I've had to move the sofa away from the living room window as she used to climb on it and bark at everything that went past.

I remember one time I took her out on the green at the front for a wee. It was about 1 in the morning and as we came back into our garden I noticed next door had left their downstairs living room window open. Their house was in darkness so I assumed they'd gone to bed and forgotten it was open, so I carefully pushed it closed. Next thing I know some bloke was pushing the window open and shouting at me because he thought I was a burglar. Turned out that he was sleeping on their sofa overnight and had left the window open to get some air
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 6th Jul 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 3,665 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    I remember one time I took her out on the green at the front for a wee. It was about 1 in the morning and as we came back into our garden I noticed next door had left their downstairs living room window open. Their house was in darkness so I assumed they'd gone to bed and forgotten it was open, so I carefully pushed it closed. Next thing I know some bloke was pushing the window open and shouting at me because he thought I was a burglar. Turned out that he was sleeping on their sofa overnight and had left the window open to get some air
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    I hope he soon realised his mistake and thanked you for being an excellent neighbour
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • JessyRM
    • By JessyRM 6th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    JessyRM
    Summer is peak season for burglaries, all those people going on lovely holidays and posting about it on facebook
    There is also a rise due to insecure properties.

Last week we had a report of a lady who had fallen asleep in her arm chair with the patio door open and her handbag and laptop was stolen. This was in a rural village too.. if the opportunity is there someone will take it.
    She couldn't claim on her insurance and she lost a lot of money.

I always advise people to lock accessible doors and windows unless they are in the house and alert.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 6th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 9,703 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Bungalow here too. What do you do? Have a window open at night or suffocate? Bad enough sleeping in the heat anyway.
    I check all the windows and doors except for our bedroom last thing though.
    I hesitate to say "It's a low crime area" because that's not a "No crime area", but it is low crime around here.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 6th Jul 18, 12:38 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    tacpot12
    Many windows these days have a way to lock them, but leave them open a small amount to allow air to circulate. If you have these, If your windows have these, I'd recommend you use them.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 6th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    • 8,183 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I've accidentally left my kitchen window open the last couple of nights and only just noticed it today so it must have also been open during the day too. I've never done that before.
    Debt 30k in 2008. Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free
    Mortgage free since 2014
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jul 18, 6:48 PM
    • 36,622 Posts
    • 135,506 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I have sash windows, and these are great because you can fix locks on them which allow the window to be opened up to 6" either at the top or the bottom.

That way, you can leave the window open, but no-one can get in without smashing the window to smithereens.

I still shut and lock the downstairs ones at night, though, or if I'm going out, just in case.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,227Posts Today

6,920Users online

Martin's Twitter