Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adwozere
    • By adwozere 31st Oct 07, 1:59 PM
    • 472Posts
    • 456Thanks
    adwozere
    Vistaprint WARNING !!!!
    • 31st Oct 07, 1:59 PM
    Vistaprint WARNING !!!! 31st Oct 07 at 1:59 PM
    Last month I see an offer of a free T-shirt with Vista print (just pay the postage)
    When I ordered I had to put my details in including my bank card details to pay the postage part, to get to the conformation page you had to get thought a barrage of offers, and once I had paid I got two emails one saying I had paid and the other saying I had signed up for VistaPrint Rewards ,which I didn't take any notice of.
    Until I checked my bank account today, were I had two payment of £9.95 taken out of my account, using my card for payment!!!

1st payment said - VPREWARDS.COM £9.95
    2nd payment said - CLUB PREM.COM £9.95

I found out that VPREWARDS.COM was vistaprint, so I gave them a ring and I was told that I had signed up for this and the CLUB PREM.COM at £9.95 per month EACH, when I was getting my 'free' T shirt.!!!
    I told him to cancel and I said I wanted a refund.

So any one who have had dealings with Vistaprint, check your bank.

Page 1
    • stugib
    • By stugib 31st Oct 07, 2:15 PM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    stugib
    • 31st Oct 07, 2:15 PM
    • 31st Oct 07, 2:15 PM
    You want this-a-way>>>> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=202892
    • pesky2
    • By pesky2 31st Oct 07, 2:19 PM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    pesky2
    • 31st Oct 07, 2:19 PM
    • 31st Oct 07, 2:19 PM
    I am fed up of all the emails from them, tried to unsubscrfibe without any joy, they hound you
  • caleo
    • 31st Oct 07, 3:48 PM
    • 31st Oct 07, 3:48 PM
    I use Vistaprint quite a lot, and have had no problems with them.

I delete all emails from them, unless I am looking for something from them. There are some fantastic bargains to be had.

I have read a previous thread on here regarding this charge. I have to admit to being stung before to the tune of £25 per month NINE months by another company, si I am always very wary of what I am doing now!!!

When you pay for your item, after checkout, there is a box that comes up offering you £10 cashback, but also in very tiny writing, it states about becoming a member, and charging you £9.95 per month for the pleasure!!!

The one I "signed" up for, the charge was actually on the terms an d conditions, which I now read every time I give any details!!!

I hope you get your money back, but sadly as devious as it is, it is not illegal.:confused:
    • stugib
    • By stugib 31st Oct 07, 4:04 PM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    stugib
    • 31st Oct 07, 4:04 PM
    • 31st Oct 07, 4:04 PM
    I hope you get your money back, but sadly as devious as it is, it is not illegal.:confused:
    Originally posted by caleo

Only because they're based in Barbados or somewhere. IIUC it would be classed as inertia marketing (or the equivalent of whatever that is where you actually take money off people!) in the EU by making it an opt-out not an opt-in.

Regardless of the legality, I think it's safe to assume it's deliberately
    misleading or badly designed judging by the number of people falling for it and the length of time it's been going on.
    • misfire
    • By misfire 31st Oct 07, 4:13 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    misfire
    • 31st Oct 07, 4:13 PM
    • 31st Oct 07, 4:13 PM
    I too got caught by this one - As soon as i got the confirmation email - i emailed them to cancel - i had at least two payments taken out. I emailed and emailed and emailed them for them to cancel it. I can't remember them reinbursing me but i was just glad they stopped taking money.

I used to order ALOT from them on there deals for work and personal use - and i used to recommend them to everyone.

NOT NOW.

I avoid any vista print email.
    Last edited by misfire; 31-10-2007 at 4:17 PM. Reason: removed one fact - as it was a long time ago and i was not sure about taht one bit
    Debt is gone - weight is next. I will be a skinny money saver at some point :-)
    • stressedofdevon
    • By stressedofdevon 31st Oct 07, 8:56 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 8,303 Thanks
    stressedofdevon
    • 31st Oct 07, 8:56 PM
    • 31st Oct 07, 8:56 PM
    Yes, I had the same problem when I ordered an address stamp, and posted a warning about it a few weeks ago when people were recommending their free or cheap calendars. I have a Tesco credit card to maximise my reward points and the money was being taken from that. Rang Tesco and surprisingly they handled it all excellently - said they had come across it many times before and refunded us all the money taken and blocked any more coming off our card. I could not have been happier with their response, so if anyone else is out of pocket why not have a word with your bank or card issuer?
  • Olz
    • 1st Nov 07, 10:05 AM
    Just pester them
    • 1st Nov 07, 10:05 AM
    You can get your money back. We had 4 payments of £9.95 taken out our credit card account. I had all sorts of problems getting a reply from them. UNTIL I got my credit card co. on board. It is not illegal, but at the very least 'sharp practice'. If they continue to take money after you have 'unsubscribed' then you would have a strong case. This company is hoping that you don't check your statements diligently.
    OLZ
    • shoperholicnot
    • By shoperholicnot 2nd Nov 07, 1:04 AM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    shoperholicnot
    • 2nd Nov 07, 1:04 AM
    • 2nd Nov 07, 1:04 AM
    vistaprint drive me nuts . they constantly hound my inbox
  • caleo
    Only because they're based in Barbados or somewhere. IIUC it would be classed as inertia marketing (or the equivalent of whatever that is where you actually take money off people!) in the EU by making it an opt-out not an opt-in.

Regardless of the legality, I think it's safe to assume it's deliberately
    misleading or badly designed judging by the number of people falling for it and the length of time it's been going on.
    Originally posted by stugib
    I couldn't agree more. At least through sites like this, people can be warned, and keep an eye on what they are signing up to. I have (stupidly) never really looked through T&Cs when buying something, but I learnt the hard way that in this day and age, you just cannot trust anyone.:confused:
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Nov 07, 6:38 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 54,559 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    I got stung by the Vistaprint Rewards sign-up as well, but was fortunate to spot the unexpected payments as soon as it left my account. In all fairness, I do blame myself for not reading all the small print (again) and they did cancel as soon as I requested it. I didn't get a refund but it did make me a little more careful next time around. I have, since, used the same site and have always been pleased with the end products, especially their personalised calendars, they look great with all the family's faces inserted in their birthday dates LOL
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • ANN
    Vistaprint
    Oh how I wish I had read some of this before - I wonder how many people have been ripped off. I KNOW that I NEVER received a membership number or any membership details but I have just realised that I have been stopped £9.95 a month for at least 5 months. I know I should check my account more carefully. I know I should read all the terms and conditions - but how many of us do? Constant e-mails to them have not generated a reply but I have managed to cancel the payment. SPREAD THE WORD - this is a company that needs stopping - NOW!!
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 29th Jan 08, 12:49 PM
    • 16,161 Posts
    • 60,047 Thanks
    mum2one
    I am a fan of vistaprint, I have purchased many items from them, when I purchase, I look at evrythinh on the invoice - inc the "free £10", it does give you the option to sign in to rewards.

As the motto goes "theres nothing in life for free" - never a truer word, it would the same on any sites, as long as you look carefully - and know what your paying for there shouldnt be any problems.
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 29th Jan 08, 10:13 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    This happened to me last year. They repaid the money-£30 total when I phoned them. Where we slip up is the part after the order-the add on order parts, which are valid for 10 mins or whatever. Now, once I have placed my order I close my browser rather than click "anywhere" on vistaprint!
    I then log in 10 mins later and go to the part where I can view orders to see if the order is being processed. This works-I dont get stung!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 31st Jan 08, 8:51 AM
    • 17,786 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    hollydays
    Listened to an article about VistaPrint (and Interflora who also do this) on Radio 4 yesterday.It seems the law is to be changed in April to make it easier to bring these companies to account.Apparently Trading Standards have had a lot of complaints about them,as have the Office Of Fair Trading.TS think even if you didnt fully read the T & cs-the advertising is not transparent enough.
  • Kaye
    OMG I can't believe Vistaprint is still doing this! This happened to me nearly two years ago! I used to order so much from Vistaprint, the prices were excellent and so was the quality of product - I saved a fortune when I got my save the date magnets from them for my wedding... but since being caught by this scam I've been scared to used them.

Normally I would never get caught out by anything like this so it must have been exceptionally sneaky, I remember doing it as well, I was placing an order and my husband was in my ear about something so I just clicked through to the checkout as you do and then next thing I knew two payments came out of my bank that I knew nothing about.

I did get my money back eventually but they have now lost a very loyal customer, I thought they would have wised up by now, why risk losing custom by sneakily ripping people off??
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 4th Feb 08, 4:09 PM
    • 16,161 Posts
    • 60,047 Thanks
    mum2one
    Vistaprint do not rip people off, thescreen processes yourorder then gives you the option of reordering, and its on this screen, if people dont look at what there clicking then there is there fault.
    • stugib
    • By stugib 4th Feb 08, 9:12 PM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    stugib
    Vistaprint do not rip people off, thescreen processes yourorder then gives you the option of reordering, and its on this screen, if people dont look at what there clicking then there is there fault.
    Originally posted by mum2one
    Of course it is, they could have made it more obvious months or years ago given the amount of people that have been fooled. They could, and should if they were bound by EU law, have an opt-in system, not an opt-out system. They don't make money out of giving away business cards so the real purpose is to get people signed up, surreptitiously, to the worthless club.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 4th Feb 08, 11:09 PM
    • 16,161 Posts
    • 60,047 Thanks
    mum2one
    Of course it is, they could have made it more obvious months or years ago given the amount of people that have been fooled. They could, and should if they were bound by EU law, have an opt-in system, not an opt-out system. They don't make money out of giving away business cards so the real purpose is to get people signed up, surreptitiously, to the worthless club.
    Originally posted by stugib
    I appricate that they dont make money from giveing away free business cards, in 2 years of transactions with them Ihave hadabsolutelyno probs and would highly recomend them to all.

It would be the same with any transaction,look at what your signing or, accepting.

You would not send a blank cheque in the post, as you would not know who could get to it, the same with any offeron theinternet.

Amazon are another company that offer the extra service, as long as theconsumer looks, there shouldbe no problem x
    • stugib
    • By stugib 5th Feb 08, 8:10 PM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    stugib
    It would be the same with any transaction,look at what your signing or, accepting.

You would not send a blank cheque in the post, as you would not know who could get to it, the same with any offeron theinternet.
    I don't think that's a good analogy. A better one IMHO would be that you went into Tesco for a loaf of bread, paid by card, and because you didn't notice a sign behind the counter and told them you weren't interested, they started charging your card every month for their DVD rental service.

Amazon are another company that offer the extra service, as long as theconsumer looks, there shouldbe no problem x
    Amazon would have to have an opt-in scheme. There's a reason they're based in Barbados or wherever it is!

If I'd designed a website where my users were being routinely misled and mistakenly paying for something they never realised they were signing up for I'd (a) probably not get much work as a website designer, (b) be desperately trying to get the site redesigned to remove user 'error'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,003Posts Today

6,411Users online

Martin's Twitter