Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yorkie006
    • By Yorkie006 6th Jul 18, 2:00 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Yorkie006
    Reasonable or not? Tenant expected to show multiple prospective tenants round at once?
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:00 AM
    Reasonable or not? Tenant expected to show multiple prospective tenants round at once? 6th Jul 18 at 2:00 AM
    Hi,
    we're been served Section 21 notice and are due to vacate in 5 weeks. 2 weeks ago LA put the property on rightmove.
    A day ago we had a text message from LA asking for access to do a viewing. The text only mentioned date and time of the viewing but not how many people will be there. My partner was home alone (I was at work). We expected someone from the LA to turn up and 2-3 people.
    Instead, nobody from the LA came and there were 12 people wanting to see the house. I was at work. My partner is disabled (mobility issues, the house if a typical semi with ground and first floor, access upstairs via stairs only - no stair lift) plus has mental health problems (anxiety and depression). Having so many strangers in the house all at once without anyone from the LA present has caused him to have a panic attack (not to mention the worries about being able to keep and eye on everyone to make sure nothing gets broken/stolen as the people were just freely walking around the house, some of them even went upstairs on their own as my partner couldn't get up the stairs fast enough, some of them were going back downstairs before he managed to get up the stairs).
    When we phoned the LA later to complain about the situation we were told that is it common knowledge that tenants living at the property show potential new tenants around.
    Is it reasonable to expect a disabled person on his own to be showing around 12 people without anyone from the LA present? There is another viewing booked for next weeks but we're seriously considering canceling that plus all future viewings. My partner is still shaken by today's experience and is dreading next viewing already. The whole situation is complete shambles as the LA didn't know who was actually there (they were very surprised to hear there were 12 people attending, apparently they didn't arrange for so many to be there). We haven't started packing yet so all our stuff (including bank statements, passports, cash etc) is easily accessible to anyone who opens a drawer while no-one is watching...). For all we know, some stuff could be missing without us noticing yet
    So, my question is: is this normal or is the LA taking the p**s? We're not due to leave for another 5 weeks so they have plenty of time to organise things properly. It seems very poor practise to organise an unaccompanied mass viewing without informing the tenant about the number of people attending and that he's expected to show them the house. The fact the tenant who's supposed to show the people round is disabled makes it even worse.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Jul 18, 2:56 AM
    • 45,968 Posts
    • 55,552 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:56 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:56 AM
    Not reasonable. Why on earth did he let them all in?
    "Sorry, you'll have to wait till the agent gets here." Then shut the door. If the visitors are unhappy, that is the agent's problem not yours.

Do you have a place arranged to go to in 5 weeks? Do you need a reference? This might affect how best to respond. However a possible response is a letter:

"Dear [landlord] (use the name on the tenancy agreement)

Further to my telephone conversation with your agent on xx/07/2018 about the viewing on yy/07/18, I am writing to repeat our concerns about the way this was managed.

* there was no representative of the letting agency present. As tenants it is not our job to undertake viewings - that is what your agent is presumably paid to do.
    * there were X prospective tenants simultaneously viewing. I was unable to monitor so many people either to ensure security or to assist them
    * being disabled, I was unable to accompany people upstairs - thus they had unhindered unaccompanied access to parts of the property

This was a stressful and potentially dangerous event, as well as being unsatisfactory from the prospective tenants' point of view.

Consequently, we cannot agree to a repeat occurrence. Any future viewings must be
    a) accompanied by a member of the agency and
    b) limited to 1 prospective tenant (or couple) at a time
    c) at a date/time agreed in advance so that we can both be present as well as the agent

If more than one prospective tenant (or couple) requires a viewing, each viewing must be agreed as above, and the total number of viewings must not be unreasonable or unduly affect out right to Quiet Enjoyment.

I trust you will appreciate these reasonable terms and will instruct your agent accordingly.

Yours sincerely,

Yorkie

cc: xyz letting agency

* Address it to the landlord at the address provided on the tenancy agreement (even if that it c/o the agent)
    * also send a copy to the agent separately.

Finally, change the front door lock (see how below). Keep the current lock so that when the tenancy ends you can replace it. This will guarantee that you can control who comes in and when.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAo7zSN-9o (Yale rim lock)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WP3o4jAFc (deadlock)
    Last edited by G_M; 06-07-2018 at 2:59 AM.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 6th Jul 18, 3:55 AM
    • 7,178 Posts
    • 7,828 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:55 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:55 AM
    I'd echo G_M's advice above but only if you are reliant on a reference, if you aren't then I'd just see my notice out and not allow any more viewings after they pulled a stunt like that on you.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 6th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 7,085 Thanks
    lindens
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    Completely unreasonable and sounds very stressful. I cannot add to the excellent posts above.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • Stubod
    • By Stubod 6th Jul 18, 9:29 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    Stubod
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:29 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:29 AM
    ..totally unreasonable IMHO...go with the good advice given above....
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 6th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    I was going to say that sometimes a multiple viewing is better because it gets it out of the way in one go rather than having to show say 3 people round over the course of a day.

but 12 that's taking a liberty and you should have been given far more warning and at least the presence of someone from the agency
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 6th Jul 18, 10:43 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:43 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:43 AM
    The landlord and agency are both having a Turkish.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Jul 18, 10:46 AM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:46 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:46 AM
    Far from reasonable, I think it is absolutely disgusting and typical agent behaviour. I would complain to the LL directly and report this to Shelter and/or the council. Some councils actually care about the behaviour of private LLs and their agents within their boundaries, or so I'm told.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • es5595
    • By es5595 6th Jul 18, 10:54 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    es5595
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:54 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:54 AM
    Most definitely unreasonable!
    I’d second the advice above, especially “sorry, I’m just the tenant, you’ll need to wait for your agent”. “Oh, they’ve not turned up? I suggest you contact them, or maybe the property has already been rented”
    • Jaffapig
    • By Jaffapig 6th Jul 18, 7:10 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Jaffapig
    What disgusting behaviour on the part of the agent. I'd agree with above, if you don't need a reference just decline any further viewings.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 6th Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 4,095 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Most definitely unreasonable!
    I’d second the advice above, especially “sorry, I’m just the tenant, you’ll need to wait for your agent”. “Oh, they’ve not turned up? I suggest you contact them, or maybe the property has already been rented”
    Originally posted by es5595

Quite - and if I were one of the viewers, I'd be looking to avoid that agency if I could...
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Jul 18, 7:48 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Quite - and if I were one of the viewers, I'd be looking to avoid that agency if I could...
    Originally posted by Rosemary7391
    Good point; must have been a shambles from the viewers' point of view. This is in no way a reflection on the present tenant, who is under no obligation whatsoever to show people around. Consenting to allow viewings is not at all the same as acting as an impromptu, unpaid EA. The LL and LA should be barred from letting properties forever, imho.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 7th Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    diggingdude
    This is completely disgraceful. I would not be allowing anymore viewings after 12 people have already seen it as that is plenty, especially considering they have issued the section 21
    House Deposit - Target £20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - £10225 13121.22 £14621.22 £16021 £17296£15171 £15971
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 7th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    need an answer
    The LL and LA should be barred from letting properties forever, imho.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Harsh words smodlet,

Why ban the LL,they have just employed the agent to act on their behalf and may not even know that so many would be viewing.
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 7th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Someone else having to do the hard work to line the pockets of the agent from what I can see.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Harsh words smodlet,

Why ban the LL,they have just employed the agent to act on their behalf and may not even know that so many would be viewing.
    Originally posted by need an answer

LL' property, LL's agent, LL's responsibility. I think the law might actually agree with me on that one. Ignorance is no defence and it is high time LAs were banned from doing most of the things they do, beginning with charging fees for anything and everything they can dream up while they sit around on their backsides expecting tenants to do their jobs for them.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 7th Jul 18, 2:54 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    need an answer
    And you've never used the services of a company who think more about lining their own pockets than the customer.

I often agree with the points you make smodlet but to brand a LL needing to be struck off because the agent has cut corners on viewing still remains harsh.Leglislation does not cover it being the LL's responsibility to monitor viewings in the same way as if it were a GSC for example ignorance does not therefore need to be a defence

Still im off to sit on my backside now you consider me in the same vein as all LL's!!

You'd do well not to tar everyone with the same brush
    I'd hate to think of you in the same way that some tenants are viewed...

My original comment still stands earlier in the post that the Agent has completely taken the tenants goodwill in allowing viewings in a very poor manner

OP I totally agree that you should advise the LL of your concerns about how this multiple viewing was conducted,unless you tell the LL they are unlikely to ever know.
    Last edited by need an answer; 07-07-2018 at 5:40 PM.
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 7th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    Xenon
    I would have told the LA to get stuffed if no reference needed(maybe in more polite terms if needed)

Totally out of order and they are taking the michael
    • Yorkie006
    • By Yorkie006 12th Jul 18, 11:49 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Yorkie006
    Thanks for everyone's input!

UPDATE:
    The morning of the 12 people viewing, the LA texted to make another viewing for this week, we agreed to this. Then the mess of a viewing happened. Shortly after that we called the LA to complain and to inform them that all future viewing need to be in the presence of someone from the LA.

Nobody has been in touch since and nobody has turned up for the arranged viewing. The house is still listed on rightmove/zoopla as available.

If the LA tries to make another appointment, they will be told 'sorry, not possible'. We started to pack our stuff and the house is full of boxes (they're stacked in the hallway, at the top of the stairs, the spare bedroom is so full, I have to step over boxes to get in, living room has load of boxes in plus all the usual furniture...). It's a smaller than average 2-bed semi so there is barely enough room for the 2 of us. The house is not suitable for viewings, in fact it could be consider dangerous (we can't guarantee that a box won't fall and hit someone if bumped into).
    The house has been advertised for 3 weeks now and was viewed by 12 people (so nobody can say we didn't co-operate). We have just under 4 weeks til the S21 expires (we found a new house now and are waiting for the references/credit checks to complete) so might be leaving sooner (here's hoping the LA/LL will provide good references).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

8,605Users online

Martin's Twitter