Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jessicadavies988
    • By jessicadavies988 6th Jul 18, 12:03 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jessicadavies988
    can anyone offer me advice please
    • 6th Jul 18, 12:03 AM
    can anyone offer me advice please 6th Jul 18 at 12:03 AM
    hi everyone I'm new here and looking for a bit of advice because I don't really know what to do next.

February 2017 I moved out of my property with my 2 children my ex partner continues to live there. all the bills were in my name and paid by me, I contacted each company and either changed my address (phone contracts ect) or cancelled the accounts and explained my ex was still living at the address.

fast forward to yesterday. I checked my credit report to find my credit score had plunged straight into red and very poor shocked I continued to read my report and I discovered I had a default account. the default account was my water company from my previous address. I noticed I had 2 accounts for the water company. the first one was set up in September 2010 and settled Feb 2017. the default account was setup also September 2010 and had gone into default Nov 2017.

I then also notice my ex partner had been financially associated with me once in Nov 2015 and then again Feb 2017 (the date after I moved out) I never knew we were finaically associated we have never had joint accounts though both of our name were on the bill.
    the water company were the ones to finaically associate us on both occasions.

I contacted the water company today who explained the account was settled when I moved out but there was a outstanding balance and that's why there was the second account opened. they also informed me that we were finaically assicoated due to us both having our names on the bill and had been since the account opened. the account was opened in 2010 and we were first associated in 2015. i did question if there was a outstanding balance in the first account how did that first account get settle in the first place, I was told she did not know.

I wasnt made aware of the outstanding balance and recieved no letters regarding this balance. I had paid my bill using direct debit and I did not cancel the direct debit so I just assumed they would collect any outstanding balance just like other companies had. I was told on the phone they sent 4 letters, I have no memory of receiving these or a default letter. the water company had my phone number, email address, both my old and new address and bank details. I was never contacted by phone or email. the person I spoke to said their systems say they have sent out letters to my new address.

i was told on the phone that both myself and my ex partner were both liable to pay the debt and the account had both of our names and were financially associated. my ex partner recieved no letter from the company. my ex partner has also checked his credit report and he doesnt not have a default showing on his account. he has the one account that is the same as mine which is settled and then his new current account. I asked why my ex partner did not recieve the letter and I was told because the letter was sent to me. I then asked if my ex partner is also liable for this debt why has he not been notified and why has he not got default on his report I was told it was not their job to know this answer.

I had asked if it was possible that my ex partner could have possibly already paid this off when he opened his new account and that would explain why he has not got a default and perhaps there's been a mistake with marking it on my account. I was told that they didn't know.

The company told me that I should just pay the outstanding balance and they will have the account marked settled. I told them that if I'd had known of the balance I would of paid it and that the damage had already been done by now having default on my report and having it s settled would not help me for the next 7 years. they then corrected me and told me it was actually 6 years.

if I owe the money I'm more than willing to pay it but I do not think I'm fully to blame for the situation. I did what I thought was correct and tried to follow the correct procedure when I originally informed them that I moved out. when I moved out I provided them with all the information, I explained my personal circumstances, have them ways of contacting me and also my ex partners details to contact him if needs be.

The amount owed wasn't a huge amount it was 85 but the damage has been tremendous. before this I had a credit score of 999 on experian it is now just above 500. I am a single mum of 2 currently living at my parents. I have one room for the 3 of us. the last year I have saved to get a mortgage for me and my children. I spent a long time building my credit score and putting myself in the best position to gain a mortgage. Im not someone who purposely refuses to pay or just ignoring bills and default letters. I've always ensure everything is paid as I couldn't risk damaging my credit score. 85 was nothing compared to what I was trying to achieve and surely if I could get the water company to look at this more closely they could see that perhaps there has been a mistake somewhere. if I had known about the money owed I would of paid it at day one I really wouldn't of risked my credit score.

Ive been ill ever since finding this out I have no idea how I'm going to get a mortgage or actually anything for the next 6 years. it was already hard enough being a single mum and now I really don't know what to do now or who to go to for advice. so if anyone is out there who could help I'd be so grateful.

I'm sorry it's so long I just wanted to make sure I got the details right thank you all in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Jul 18, 5:32 AM
    • 18,577 Posts
    • 19,836 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:32 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:32 AM
    If you can pay it, then do so. You are jointly and several liable, so it doesn't matter whether they have contacted your ex.

The default will drop off your files 6 years after going on, and a settled default will look much better than unsettled.

Finally, when you go to get a mortgage, use a broker to make sure your application is placed correctly. Ignore your credit score - it's a made up number that has no impact on you.

Things are not as bad as you think.
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 6th Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    jimbo26
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    As ZX81 said use a broker. A family member had a settled default with a water company from their student days (moving about). They have just recently obtained a mortgage, even with the default.
    • jessicadavies988
    • By jessicadavies988 6th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jessicadavies988
    • 6th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    thanks both for replying. I of course will pay the 85 pound after all I do owe them the money. I've asked a family member to speak to my ex and just check he hasn't paid it and there hasn't been a mistake and if there has i can atleast claim it back (hopefully)

I just feel annoyed d frustrated that's all, I thought I did everything I could to make sure everything had been paid off so this would never of happened. nearly 18 months later I some what wish they had just sent it to debt collector after a few months not that that would be ideal but atleast I would of found out sooner.

I thought my credit score would have a huge part in me getting a mortgage but il have trust in you lol. I haven't thought of mortgage broke so thank you for that advice il look into it.

as a first time buyer I've literally spent all this time king sure my credit scire was good and saved for a deposit and haven't thought what to do after that

thanks again both I feel a little better
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

2,481Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin